Best Coils for GPX 5000 in the WA Goldfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all as a newbie to this pastime I am wondering on info from others which coils they recommend/use themselves for the
WA goldfields
Thanks
GHOSTY

I reckon you would do well with at least 3 coils.
Choose from the flat wound coils, like the nugget finder evolution s or coiltek elite and the new d tech ultras.
A smallish 11 to 12 inch, a 14 or 15 inch and add a bigger one like an 18 -19 - or 20 inch.
I run a 14x 9 elliptical which has similar performance to an 11 or 12.
Another option is the 17x13 nf slip or 17x11 elite. Any of these coils are good choices.
I like the nugget finders as they are waterproof and a bit lighter. On the down side, they are an absolute bitch to put coil tape on!

Forgot to mention that these coils are formulae one sensitive, you need to turn the gain down a little bit.

I can't help much because I've only ever used the Coiltek 14" Elite on the 4500. Perhaps that's why I still haven't found anything as big of as deep as I found with the Garrett ATX ;)

davent said:
Choose from the flat wound coils, like the nugget finder evolution s or coiltek elite and the new d tech ultras.
A smallish 11 to 12 inch, a 14 or 15 inch and add a bigger one like an 18 -19 - or 20 inch.
Another option is the 17x13 nf slip or 17x11 elite. Any of these coils are good choices.
I like the nugget finders as they are waterproof and a bit lighter. On the down side, they are an absolute bitch to put coil tape on!

Dave,

The Nugget Finder Evolution coils use a vinyl coil tape, it is available at Goldsearch Dunolly. It goes on easy with no kinks. I hope this helps.

Regards

Jeff

Dave the tape is easy ,are you using a 3m tape or nitto tape.
GHOSTY before getting other coils its more important to under stand your detector ,but a 12 evo and 15 evo would be my choice regards john :)

I tried that tape from gold search, but it seems the weather up here dosnt like it. It stretches, then unpeels itself. Also, gets chewed up in no time. I think its to hot here for the glue.

Davent said:
I agree with Davent, but if you were only able to get 1 instead of 3 for WAit would be nuggetfinder evo 15" or Coiltek elite camo 14".
Jay

Hey davent...do you stretch/pull the tape as you apply, or just roll it onto the join?

I have found stretching tape (usually in my mind for 'tightness) tends to weaken it's lifespan....edges curl up, collect dust/dirt and eventually roll off the joint.

Maybe less 'stress' during application may help?

Thinking aloud...

Gypsy

I put it on 3 times in one day, 1st time stretched it, so backed off the next few times. Will give it one more go, and I've cleaned any residue off the coil. Also, the gravel tends to chew it up in no time flat.

On my larger coils, i use a micro thin strip of dbl side (clear when applied & ~ 5mm wide) tape between the coil & skid plate.

Something else to consider, or else just run some Araldite around the join till it dries lol...

With the heat, what glues normally work up there?

Sounds like a dilemma.

Gypsy

I used some cloth tape that was pretty good, its just the design of the edge of the coil, makes it so hard to keep the tape flat with no creases, dirt gets under the creases and lifts the tape.

Got this at Mitre10, it's 3 ply and pretty tough and takes a pounding, but it's still hard to get rid of those kinks altogether.
1486774288_img_1632.jpg

1486774288_img_1633.jpg

I just use electrical tape. It goes on quickly and doesn't seem to kink. If I have to put on again during the day it's not a huge drama. Less annoying than mozzies.

17x13 Eco coil was the best all round coil for our group on 5000 and 4500s last year as most areas we were in in wa were fairly open. Good coverage and still able to get small stuff. Skid plate can get knocked about so I got 2 rolls of tape from reeds prospecting, only 8-10 dollars large rolls, worked a treat.

turps123 said:
davent said:

Dave,

The Nugget Finder Evolution coils use a vinyl coil tape, it is available at Goldsearch Dunolly. It goes on easy with no kinks. I hope this helps.

Regards

Jeff

CWPS and probably at a better price and I'm a Dunolly lad :) :rolleyes:

Dave last time I still used the Leukoplast but covered it with Nitto insulation tape. The insulation tape fell off as usual but it protected the cloth tape from damage while it was there. I only had to keep adding fresh insulation tape. The Leucoplast lasted the two weeks away.
it

Latest posts