dam it Pics

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they are, and I'm not a spider person, I went into our bathroom when I heard my wife scream, biiiiig fu#@&ing spider! So I get a Chinese take away container to put over it. It was too fast ran over my hand, and I screamed louder than her!

But I got a good I.d. on it, it had tattoos on every leg, an ear ring and I think it gave me the bird!

davent said:
Yes they are, and I'm not a spider person, I went into our bathroom when I heard my wife scream, biiiiig fu#@&ing spider! So I get a Chinese take away container to put over it. It was too fast ran over my hand, and I screamed louder than her!

But I got a good I.d. on it, it had tattoos on every leg, an ear ring and I think it gave me the bird!
Now that is so funny lmao :Y:

I generally aren't to fussed about spiders but mouse spiders pretty well freak me out as when I was about 16 was doing my washing(laundry was on the back veranda)and stepped on a pile of clothes and felt a sharp pain on the bottom of my foot, lifted up my foot and well there's the devils spawn0 attached to it. Hurt like hell then my foot went numb but went away after about an hour.

I was cleaning down a header back about 1984 with a pressure cleaner and I felt this thing bite me on my right knee I slapped it and this redback fell onto my boot very dead looking then the burning sensation started so I went a told the boss who said not to worry about it ! Well as it was knock off time anyway and I was supposed to go away trail bike riding with our local club so I tried to forget about it. Went home loaded up the trailer and all the gear for the weekend trip and drove 3 hours to our destination. Set up camp and all the while I could feel this creeping burning going sensation going further up my leg. Got into the sleeping bag for the night and my chest started constricting and I started sweating. By this time I was starting to wonder if I was going to die. All through the night I had the sweats and shivers, by morning I was feeling much almost normal again and went riding with everyone else. A few months later I mentioned what had happened to my Dr. who looked at me in disbelief
Shook his head and said son you could have died.
Being young and invincible is fought with dangers.

I generally leave the redbacks alone around my house as I've found that given the chance they will actually kill the funnel web spiders. I've found a couple of crispy dry dead funnel webs stuck in the redback webs, funnel webs wander and redbacks don't really, they seem to stay in the one spot.

We don't get many red backs here, but heaps of brown widows, an imported version.
Got bitten by one last year, letter box. Didn't hurt much, but about 8 hours later it felt like I had a really bad bruise on my wrist. By 12 hours, sore wrist and hangover like symptoms, had a chunder and a migraine. Wrist had a lump like half a golf ball. All good next day, but the bite site stayed like a red golf ball for a week.

I was living at Kanimbla at the back of the Blue Mountains and my 18 month old nephew liked the idea of carrying a pillow round with him and having a nap wherever his little legs led him.

He was playing on the floor of the lounge room while I was in the kitchen and he had gone quiet so walked in to check on him and sure enough he had wandered into the office and gone to sleep on the floor with his pillow. I thought I'd go grab him a throw blanket and as I turned something caught my eye, I walked over to him and about 20cm from him was a huge funnelweb, I quickly grabbed him and woke him, then stripped him down to check for bites, scared the shit out of me. He was fine thankfully, gave me the chills thinking it could have crawled on him without biting him.

Had the pest guy there at 8:30am the following day.

Yes, kids are a worry, especially sleeping kids.
I would have done the same. If it had been my daughter, I would have 1st checked if she was dribbling. Funnel web symptoms include excessive salivation.
Mouse spider bites are treated with funnel web anti venom, however, most mouse spider bites on humans are dry, but should be treated the same as funnel web bites.
BTW, you did all the right things, wakeing him and checking for bites, I would have crapped myself as well!

Yeah funnel web symptoms are horrendous, I read a story about a lady bitten in her bed in the southern highlands a few weeks back and she was lucky to survive, she actually held off calling the ambo's for an hour or so and started showing full symptoms of envenomation including the profuse salivation and sweating, the ambo's said it was horrific, she also had a heart attack the following day, the antivenene is really nasty too. She made a full recovery though.

That's nasty about being bitten by the widow Dave, I never knew that we had them here.

The area I live is one of the worst funnel web areas, they are literally everywhere in certain spots, I can remember at a mates place around the corner they were excavating to put a pool in and they must have uncovered over 100 of them... :( It's a bit drier at my place and there aren't as many but they are still there in the garden under the leaf litter.

We really don't get mouse spiders, I've never seen one in our area but they look even nastier than funnel webs.

Spiders really bother me, I can deal with snakes but spiders creep me out more. :)

I'll take the mouse spiders, you can keep the funnel webs!
We really only see them at the start of the wet season. I've only seen 2 this year, one at the pool, which was huge, much bigger than the books say, and one in my dogs bowl, which was normal size, about 3 1/2 cm, but look like it was on steroids.
They say in the books, that when they latch on, they don't let go.

BigWave said:
I pick up excess huntsmen and let them go outside. Have taught kids to do the same. None of us have ever been bitten. Maybe our Vic Huntsmen are different?

Did you know that Huntsman Spiders have BLUE Blood :eek:
Its something to do with different ways the Oxygen is mixed with Blood .
Human Blood uses Iron . Huntsman Blood and many other ( creepy crawly bitty bastards ) uses Copper

I gave a friend an old oil can the other day . He was very happy with it . He wanted to pay me for it :eek:
I wanted nothing for it . I was happy to help someone with there collection :Y:
But gave me this as a token of appreciation :D :D
1487050156_20170214_154818.jpg

1487050222_20170214_154848.jpg

dam it said:
I gave a friend an old oil can the other day . He was very happy with it . He wanted to pay me for it :eek:
I wanted nothing for it . I was happy to help someone with there collection :Y:
But gave me this as a token of appreciation :D :D
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6727/1487050156_20170214_154818.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6727/1487050222_20170214_154848.jpg

I really like that your using the same 10 cent piece for sizing things :Y: :D

davent said:
I'll take the mouse spiders, you can keep the funnel webs!
We really only see them at the start of the wet season. I've only seen 2 this year, one at the pool, which was huge, much bigger than the books say, and one in my dogs bowl, which was normal size, about 3 1/2 cm, but look like it was on steroids.
They say in the books, that when they latch on, they don't let go.

Yeah I've heard that the mouse spiders do that, damn that would be a nasty bite if one latched on to you, their fangs are huge.

Not sure what it is as I'm no twitcher but doesn't quite look like a crow to me, hasn't got a long Killy stabby beak like a crow , could be a bit of a mutation though as they sometimes happen.

Latest posts