New Sluicy with a couple of mods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish they would just get things right at Sluicy, it seems that everyone that coughs up good money for one spends more money and hours in their shed just to get something that's remotely working. The mats, rivets, legs, grizzly, support bars and sometimes spray bars all need fixing before taking them out into the field!

I took my modified GS21 out the other day only to find as I was setting up one of the bolts that connect the hopper to the sluice had sheared off! It was a spur of the moment type thing and I was about 80km from home, I kicked myself for not taking spares, but thankfully another prospector that was panning near by helped me out with a bolt.

We ended up chatting for longer than we worked the gravels but at the end of the day I did ok with the clean up and tossed him a vial with about 30 odd good flakes in it for his help.

That's a shame about the sluicy, if they keep making inferior products people will not buy from them

Yeah I'm now determined to buy a Gold Rat 12" Outback Pioneer Series Highbanker, once I can swing it by the financial adviser.....or get it under her radar ;)

After playing round with it.....sure my Sluicy GS21 catches gold but I had to Frankenstein it, I can only imagine how much gold pours out the bottom of the sluice for poor buggers with bad backs and cut up hands still running them stock.

Yeah Aussie Chris heard lot's of good feedback about the Gold Rat.....Dustin Focuses on top quality products.....and the feedback is awesome.

I don't think sluicy bankers are inferior or that they're not put together right but they are a good entry level banker at a good price point. Some modify them and some don't it depends on the individual as all conditions aren't the same. Any banker you buy will lose gold but with experience you can minimise this by modification and/or the way you use it.
Jon

Sorry Blisters, didn't mean to turn it into a "bash Sluicy" post I guess I was just a bit frustrated, if you pay $475 for a high banker you expect a reasonably decent unit.

Maybe I was unlucky with mine as I seem to have got the one unit made at 4:45 on a hot Friday arvo.

AussieChris said:
Yeah I'm now determined to buy a Gold Rat 12" Outback Pioneer Series Highbanker, once I can swing it by the financial adviser.....or get it under her radar ;)

After playing round with it.....sure my Sluicy GS21 catches gold but I had to Frankenstein it, I can only imagine how much gold pours out the bottom of the sluice for poor buggers with bad backs and cut up hands still running them stock.

I agree with you 100% mate. I had to do chop and change quite a few things and lucky if there are 4 standard rivets left in the thing.

I have the Gold Rat on my radar as the next purchase.

Pretty disappointing actually marksman. Found a great spot pointed out by a local just as we were heading home though.

Plenty of tailings around so you can see it has been worked to death but that won't stop us going back for another crack at it.

Nice place. Great campground and I've never seen so many stars in the sky at night in my life.

No probs AussieChris I'm not the sluicy cop just saying there's no silver bullet. But yep you pay more for quality finish as with anything.
Jon

Going to give the new Sluicey a run tomorrow at Oallen, will post up how it goes. If anyone is heading out stop by and say G'day, I'll be in a white dual cab ranger with alloy toolbox on the back.
Cheers
Mick

Mickskin said:
Going to give the new Sluicey a run tomorrow at Oallen, will post up how it goes. If anyone is heading out stop by and say G'day, I'll be in a white dual cab ranger with alloy toolbox on the back.
Cheers
Mick
Good luck out there tomorrow,wish you had of been there yesterday I was there,got sunburnt,had a swim and got nipped by the resident killer shrimp in the river.Did OK on the yellow though.This is my take for maybe an hour and a half dig.
1485322275_image.jpg

Eldorado, good effort for a quick dig, might take a tabby trap tomorrow, I've been attacked by that bugger too. Would of been bloody hot out there yesterday, bit cooler tomorrow I hope.
Cheers
Mick

I've had a sluicy HB (GS 17) for a while, and have to say I have not had problems with it at all.

Once you work out the angles and flow rates, it clears well and catches fine gold OK.

The only mods I have done is to widen the holes in the spray bar from 2.5mm to 4 mm, and put some rubber feet on the legs.

Their freshwater shrimp,you might find you will lose a few with the opera house yabbie nets.The shrimp nets have a really fine mesh compared to the opera house nets.In saying that there is some bigger shrimp in the river.

Latest posts