Newbie wanting to get his hands wet

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is the unclean version
1484445171_101_60691.jpg

Aussichris
only just over when i finish the clean up it might go just on the g
no that one is just off the net brings back memories lol

Boulders
Its the same pan i used up there that day you were there not sure what its called
i went over the other side for about half an hour where i said i wanted to have a look
and all the crevices had nothing in them and i mean nothing no sand no little rocks nothing it looked like a dredge had gone through that side of the river
the mate that was with me he spent nearly 2 hours there looking and didn't find one speck

Did you go as far up that you could see the quarry?

Interesting that not a single specimen is there. I guess further up it backs up on to private property and they've had a good go at taking it all with dredging which is pretty f***ed up.

It's good you went for a walk though cause looking at Google earth it looks quite interesting up there and I wouldn't mind doing a little sightseeing.

Oh. Pretty brave for someone to be dredging where you can be seen by every single car driving past. That's asking for trouble.

yes i know i just don't think it was done any other way it was to clean i may be wrong i hope i am some one may have just put a lot of time into cleaning them out
used the yabbie pump to see how it would go
went well it gave everyone a good laugh for a while

Do you not shoot anymore?

I went for a hunt early this morning just before dawn, stalked some Sambar deer with my bow for a couple of hours but didn't end up taking a shot. I did see a Red deer stag that would have been 12-14 points but they are out of season in NSW even as a "feral pest" and honestly I leave those big trophy bucks alone anyway so that I still have deer to hunt in 20 years time.

I was after a smaller spiker for the freezer, make some sausage and jerky :)

I mostly hunt by bow but did take my good old .270 Weatherby Alaskan along hoping to spot them in open areas. I'm pretty handy with it out to about 600-650m, then if I truly ever needed to shoot longer I have a Weatherby Mark V Accumark RC in 338-378 Wby.Mag and a TIKKA T3 TACTICAL 308.

I recently had a shot of a mates McMillan Tac-338 Lapua alongside my Mark V, watermelons and pumpkins from 1260m according to gps, expensive but fun afternoon lol.

Maybe when they constructed the new bridge alot of it was dug out but then again with the rising waters you'd think the sediment would eventually fill it all back up again pretty quickly. Maybe the old bridge is a mega sluice..... Lol

Did u check the other end of it. Could have ounces sitting there :eek:

Sometimes I don't think people really know the rules? or are ignorant enough to figure they would never get caught, they prob watch youtube movies of dredging and figure its a lot easier than bending your back on a shovel and bar. I stopped to talk to some guys 2 weekends ago and while they were not dredging at the time I sure did notice the venturi dredge nozzle laying in amongst their gear.

I just told them to make sure they had their Fossicking Permits ready as there was a Forestry Field Officer on the prowl...it was all in my imagination, but surprisingly enough they were gone from the spot about 15 mins later :D

Ahh that's a shame, I don't suppose you are still licensed then? If you are and ever have the hankering to teach some watermelons or pumpkins a thing or two I'm sure I could accommodate it.

A weekend of highbanking and watermelon destruction :cool:

people know the rules but think they dont apply to them and they can do what they want
i like to ask have they seen the rangers as they were at the river to the north early this morning with binoculars and cameras

Not real cool when you spend the day on a shovel or crevicing on your knees, to realise some tool with a 4" dredge beat you to it.
I have only ever caught someone once actually doing it, but marked the spot on gps figuring no use going back there until after a good flood.

Latest posts