Wadey's Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1471684659_image.jpeg

1471695549_image.jpeg
Sandta, maybe is it off a trophy / award ? In the shield it is hand engraved..seems tin,silver ???

Beautiful lttle tin, did you manage to find the hallmarks, or do you think it is plated? The badge sounds pretty rare thanks to Nucopia's research, great find Wadey. :)

Can't see any markings and is very thin, patterned on edges which are tapered. One hole in end as per picture. Scratched into the shield part the Initials RFG Lakes Ent. Which I would would indicate Lakes Entrance. Thinking silver plated but looks really nice.
1471849609_image.jpeg

Yes, the plated stuff is usually copper, and you would see it coming through the plating if worn. The black oxidation also possibly indicates solid silver, looks good to me. :)

It's when they used to sniff ground up tobacco rather than smoke it, and carry it around in a small tin such as yours. Couldn't think of anything worse than shoving raw tobacco up my nose. :p

Did a bit of homework on the silver lid. Home that once existed on this site belonged to Gilsenan's, grandmother was Ruth, initials on lid RFG ! Family are rapt to see and now have this. Gained permission to search the vacant block next door which was a boat builders home...totally littered with nails, screws, bits of copper etc...managed 2 x 1915 comm pennies and a 1875 Brit Penny pity it has a hole in it.
1472039576_image.jpeg

Interesting 2 hour morning hunt today. 1911 Coronation medal, 1910 Brit Penny, 51 florin, 21 sixpence, 45 Roo and 50 HP. And a pocket watch, don't know much about them can see the word "herbury". Another new site to keep at.
1472363335_image.jpeg

1472363713_image.jpeg

...plated! ;) Still a great find, looks to be mostly complete which doesn't happen very often. The coronation medallion is a beauty, and with that mix of coins, it looks to be a very promising site to detect. Good luck, hopefully we will see some more goodies in the near future. :)

1473218852_image.jpeg
Havent been out much due to rain and work but got to an old house site yesterday, owner said it had been done over and unfilled holes were everywhere. In a hour pulled these. 924 ring, 2 x HP, 47 florin ( love how they clean up ), other odds and ends, Lesney armoured car, curtain rod end ??, watch cover ? And I filled my holes in !!

Wadey said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7921/1473218852_image.jpegHavent been out much due to rain and work but got to an old house site yesterday, owner said it had been done over and unfilled holes were everywhere. In a hour pulled these. 924 ring, 2 x HP, 47 florin ( love how they clean up ), other odds and ends, Lesney armoured car, curtain rod end ??, watch cover ? And I filled my holes in !!

amazing work !
that Florin looks like new :O

Latest posts