1993 Bushman camper trailer refit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another good tip is that instead of a 300m (long welds in general) you are better off welding in 40mm sections with a break of at least 10mm, the reason is that if a long weld cracks it travels along the full length of the weld, with 40mm sections the weld cracks for 40mm then a new fresh weld takes the strain. The weld is well and truly strong enough with the tacks. If you need water tight joins use a sealant between the welds. Ken.

New axle is on the camper. kept the old hubs and bearings as they are rated for heavy duty off road according to the trailer guys.. and it saved me $$, buying new ones.
1506925507_22197485_10210132357889934_1944897958_o.jpg

Prado rims and tires fit perfectly, just need to get another 2 wheel off the parts prado and fit them..
1506925529_22243578_10210132357009912_1035753073_o.jpg

Camper refit is progressing and I am now looking at starting on the 12 volt electrics.
I have a 100 amp deep cycle battery as my power source and will recharge this with a folding solar panel connected through a 30 amp solar charger controller via an Anderson plug.
If any one can suggest how or where I can look at simple wiring diagrams and ways to set up the 12 volt wiring system, so that I can to run 4 LED light bars , a water pump and maybe put in a couple of cigarette lighter sockets /usb sockets.
I would like to mount every thing inside a tool box that I will put onto the front of the camper mounted to the draw bar.
I have watched a few you tube videos, but I'm still unsure of what items I would need to get my hands on to set up and run a simple system. :(
example; automotive fuse block, volt metre, main switch (on /off) breaker, solenoids and outlets...??

Nucopia,
Are you using the Wheel Nuts off the Mags. ?
In other words, Do the original Lug Nuts off the Prado screw onto
the wheel hubs. :D

Tathradj said:
Nucopia,
Are you using the Wheel Nuts off the Mags. ?
In other words, Do the original Lug Nuts off the Prado screw onto
the wheel hubs. :D
No mate I'm Using the original lug nuts as the Prado hubs and lug nuts have a different thread size to the hubs on the trailer.

I'm putting together a list of what I need to buy for the camper's 12 volt electric system set up.

I have these things so far.

1)1 x 100 amp AGM battery
2) 12 volt x 30 amp solar charge controller
3) 1000w pure sine wave inverter
4) 5 x 500 mm LED light strips
6) 4 x 4 meter spools of Naava brand twin core 3 mm x 10 amp auto cable = 16 meters in total
7) 4 x 12 terminal connector strips 20 amp .. Naava
8) 2 x 50 amp Anderson plugs
9) 2 x cigarette sockets
10) 1 x 2 outlet USB socket
11) 212 pcs assorted cable accessories kit. Which includes an assortment of , standard blade fuses , butt splices, male connectors,mini blade fuses,heat shrink,ring eye
terminals, female connectors and cable ties.

I imagine I will also need these items.

1) Isolator- on/off switch
2) smart charger - type brand ?
3) fuse block ?
4) folding solar panel- 12 volt- 200 watt Mono crystalline
5) more electrical cable
6) battery mount to secure the battery in the tool box
7) things I forgot
8) thing I did not know I needed
9) anything else not listed but essential to the system to run with out issues.

nucopia said:
I'm putting together a list of what I need to buy for the camper's 12 volt electric system set up.

I have these things so far.

1)1 x 100 amp AGM battery
2) 12 volt x 30 amp solar charge controller
3) 1000w pure sine wave inverter
4) 5 x 500 mm LED light strips
6) 4 x 4 meter spools of Naava brand twin core 3 mm x 10 amp auto cable = 16 meters in total
7) 4 x 12 terminal connector strips 20 amp .. Naava
8) 2 x 50 amp Anderson plugs
9) 2 x cigarette sockets
10) 1 x 2 outlet USB socket
11) 212 pcs assorted cable accessories kit. Which includes an assortment of , standard blade fuses , butt splices, male connectors,mini blade fuses,heat shrink,ring eye
terminals, female connectors and cable ties.

I imagine I will also need these items.

1) Isolator- on/off switch
2) smart charger - type brand ?
3) fuse block ?
4) folding solar panel- 12 volt- 200 watt Mono crystalline
5) more electrical cable
6) battery mount to secure the battery in the tool box
7) things I forgot
8) thing I did not know I needed
9) anything else not listed but essential to the system to run with out issues.

If you are looking for info on mechanical issues or wiring up a camper, myswag.org has all the answers to your questions. All the questions would have already been asked. Heaps of input from auto electricians and mains voltage electricians, especially Simon Brett and mandrake are all extremely knowledgeable people. Also everything you wanted to know and lots of stuff you don't even know, that you need to know. Free registration required but they don't spam you or pass on your details. Ken.

Hi Nucopia,
I prefer to use manually resettable breakers than fuses, as fuses always pop at the most inconvenient times, and you realise that your spares are under your camping gear - somewhere.
I generally use Blue Sea products which provide a huge range of marine grade breakers, from singles through full panels (some with LEDs) supporting 2, 4, 6, 8 etc circuits. They're reliable - not cheap, but you get the protection that you paid for..
Also, you must use wire rated at more Amperes than the fuse/breaker that is protecting the circuit. i.e.: using 10A rated wire "protected" by a 20A fuse/breaker and you're asking for trouble.
Failure to obey this RULE has caused many electrical fires.
This is one that I did recently (using individual Blue Sea breakers). All cables were rated at >200% of breaker rating.
1507103764_car_battery_wiring.jpg

Thanks BW
I found their website and they have some great products the 15Amp CLB circuit breaker is U.S $5.99 but they don't post out side of North America.
Have to go through a local dealer.. :(
The thing I have to consider is that I am only running 5 x 500mm LED light strips, a 12 volt water pump (which wont run continuously) and probably a couple of ciggi sockets plus one dual USB socket. The USB and ciggi sockets might get a bit of use at night to charge a cell phone or ipad but that's about it..

https://www.redarc.com.au/faq-tech-tips/bad-fuses-or-bad-fuse-holders

I have had this happen, I use these now http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Maxi-Bla...028030&hash=item2389dcd1c0:g:nzoAAOSwY45UMfE4

If you are lazy you can buy these made up already
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300-mm-B...557288?hash=item281b96c428:g:m7IAAOSwhOVXeDs6

Only problem with these is 20 A is the lowest size fuse available, not a problem for 95% of applications.

Just had a look and found these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1x-20-Am...659866?hash=item236f26a89a:g:gUYAAOSwTZ1Xnlox

When you buy lugs like here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-x-CAB...d=152188659866&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982
make sure the bolt hole size suits your fittings and the wire size hole also suits, you don't want it too big or you'll go through tons of solder, too small and......."F" doesn't fit.

Thanks OP
My flea bay wish list keeps getting longer and the costs keep adding up..looks like I will have to buy the things I cant do with out and can afford and keep the wish list going for when I have more funds.. :(
That's the reality of life on a fixed income :/

Latest posts