Fossils from the Canberra Region (near Wee Jasper)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fish like one was actually completely embedded in a rock, the only thing you could see was a small blob shaped discoloration on the outside of a large rock. My hubby cracked it open to reveal the red and black crystals and the fishlike impression. We have both halves. But whatever it is has been split in half by us. :(

Note the bit near the head that looks like a fin is actually a shell, I need to take a better picture. My husband thinks it may be a jellyfish because its completely crystallized, but I find it hard to believe that a jellyfish could ever become fossilized. It's body is just too squishy.

The first one was just laying there. My daughter found it. :)

All I found was shells and bivalves lol. but still thrilled at being able to hold something so ancient :)

Would love to figure out what they are but wouldn't even know where to take them to get them checked out.

Sarn, there must be a forum with enthusiasts in this field and I'm sure they would be more than willing to point you in the right direction. A very interesting find :)

I have taken some more photos and am composing a post to a dedicated fossil forum. Can I link to a thread on another forum? If not then I Will post the new photos here as well and let you guys know the outcome. :)

Ps. Looking again at the fishlike fossil I think I was wrong when thinking the fin like structure was a shell. Upon closer inspection it too is crystalized just like the rest of the fishy object.

Edit the administrator of the fossil forum posted the following:

"It's very hard for me to interpret these well from photographs (not the fault of the photos, they're very good), but even with my native skepticism, I have to say that you may be onto it with the first specimen. Someone else here may have experience with this type of material, and I encourage them to please chime in; I am very interested!"

Getting excited now. :D

here are some new photos:
1382403313_discoloration.jpg

1382403329_both_halves.jpg

1382403346_fish1.jpg

1382403365_fish2.jpg

1382403380_coral1.jpg

1382403395_coral2.jpg

1382403408_coral3.jpg

Don't forget to keep us all informed on this one Sarn. My curiosity is getting the better of me, and the more i look at the pics the more i feel you have unearthed something quite rare for this area. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Well I have had three responses to the thread so far. The first one from an administrator that I posted above, the second person posted the following:

"I can't say for sure what that first thing is but it doesn't scream 'fish' to me... I do see a brachiopod right next to the big crescent-shaped thing (on the freshly spit side).

I see similar things to both your specimens here in my local Cretaceous shale (in concretions) but I have never known what to make of them except that they generally don't have a regular pattern that I would recognize as fossil. Maybe more septarian-related."

So it might not be a fossil at all. :( but even if it's not it's still pretty cool looking. :)

The third response was guessing it might be a stingray based on the shape in the first photo (of the rock with the two halves together)

It's a US forum unfortunately, couldn't find a big one in aus, although I am sure they exist, but hoping to see more responses when i Wake up tomorrow and more of the forum members have had a chance to look at it.

The thread is here: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index...om-an-ancient-seabed-near-canberra-australia/

If posting the above is against the rule I apologise and will remove the link

Us forums are generally not the best sources for Australian fossils as many of our fossils are unique to this continent. I will do some research on the subject, and show the pics to a mate of mine who is a curator at the Bureau of Mineral Resources. Will let you know the results. :)

Cheers Wal.

Wow Wal you rock! Do you really think this find may be something special?

Hahaha good point. :)

I've tried googling for crystalized fossils (I have zero experience with fossils and geological terms, so don't know what the search for). I'm a good googler lol but don't have the terminology to search properly.

Based on my description are there any geological terms I could use to try get some meaningful results?

Hahaha :D ....be sure to pass on your sentiments if ever i see her mate....What sort of fossil would i be looking for, just for recognition sake i mean... :D

Cheers Wal.

Hahaha, I don't think that one had been officially identified yet Wal :D Nah, she's a lovely lady, we still get on like a house on fire but I couldn't resist throwing that one in there.

I always figured she'd be a great old fossil :) ...my kids keep referring to me as an old fossil, and some day soon I'm gunna chuck out all the mirrors in the house, 'cause I'm starting to agree with them :8

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
I always figured she'd be a great old fossil :) ...my kids keep referring to me as an old fossil, and some day soon I'm gunna chuck out all the mirrors in the house, 'cause I'm starting to agree with them :8

Cheers Wal.

Lol based on your avatar you barely look 30. For kids anything above 10 is a fossil. :)

That shot's 10 years ago mate....Turning 60 next month and that qualifies you for fossil status, I'm told by the kids and grand kids... :eek: :D :D :D

60? Even if it was shot ten years ago you don't look it, and based on what I have read about your adventures, your certainly don't act it either. :)

Wal you guys look fantastic. Here I am, 10 years your junior and just about hanging on the last legs lol. Even the guys who run the local cemetery told me that they would charge me a surcharge when I came in hahaha.

I try my best but with one hell of a hectic work life, bullets, stabbings and all, this hobby could have a million benefits and this is why I've decided to give it a go. Looking at you and Liz, just made me see that this has so much more to offer. You guys are real ambassadors :D I hope we can meet sometime, I'd love to shake hands with a legend :)

Ok, some responses to my US based fossil forum:

From the admin who made the first post:

"The crystals are a geologic artifact, do not be distracted by them.
From what I've read, the site is Devonian, and is famous for its 3-D preservation of armored fish. I think there is good likelihood that this is what you have with the first specimen. The second, I am on the fence about whether it is geologic or biologic."

Another post, after I asked newbie questions. :)

"The time period involved here (Devonian - Age of Fish) indicates that most fish fossils from that era would probably be a Placoderm, which were the most numerous types of fish during this time period.
Ray finned fish and lobe finned fishes were just starting to emerge at this time. Armored fish, due to their structure (hard, bone-like plates), would be more apt to fossilize, especially since they were the more predominant types of fish around then.

The shape of the item in your first pic vaguely resembles a head or body plate of a placoderm, maybe something similar to Cephalaspis.
I use the word vaguely, as I am not entirely convinced this is a fish fossil. It could very well be a fortuitously shaped geolgic structure.

The crystals may just be an artifact of the diagenesis of the rock/fossil as it formed. So they are less relevant.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
"

What started out to be a quick family outing has evolved into an adventure. No matter what happens its still a thrill. :)

Latest posts