Finding Opal with the use of UV black light

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LORD

Jay
Reaction score
Has anybody tried this and had success?? I was thinking about trying the Opal field's at night possibly after rain.
Plan was to get a UV torch from Ebay and spend a bit of time going over the tailing mounds. Any ideas? or success stories
:p

Good way to get yourself in trouble..after dark if your on a claim ?

There will be no falls or shootings, hopefully no scorpions either. Likely no Opal :p but dont know if I dont try haha

Baldy's right on the money with his concerns.

Take care!

I specked with a cheap Ebay UV light which worked OK on opal but was better with zircon.

Lord I reckon that after a night out strolling the scrub with a black light you'd be well placed to enjoy a whisky or three when you get back to the donga.

None of the zircons I've ever found in NSW flouresce, I know some do though. Opal is only mildly flourescent, probably not enough to see while specking.

The black light will work a treat that's why it will not be that easy to find anything worthwhile ..Someone has already done it..best to frequent the local pub and some one there will steer you in the right direction..hopefully not back in the direction you came from..lol

Lol, thanks guys. I will get a light and give it a go. What could possibly go wrong .... :eek:
I had better do some recon first in daylight to stear clear of active claims and hidden shafts 8)

We ran into a couple who live half the year at 8 mile, Coober Pedy. He has a little hand operated conveyor belt with a UV light above. He collects a few buckets from a mullock heap and passes them through at night. He says he does ok and by the look of their hand made jewellery it's really worthwhile.

Black light works at Coober Pedy but it doesn't work on the seam opal fields at Sheepyards or Grawin. Heard its not much good on nobby's either.

I concur that it will only be effective on white. If you are going to do it, don't cheap out on the torch. Get a decent lense and power unit.

Its a tried and tested method.

People get huge machines with black rooms attached and run material through it.

Jukey

Latest posts