What to do if you come across this in the bush!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I come across this on Facebook, I don't know if it's a hoax or not.
You hear stories regarding panthers roaming the bush. What would you do if you saw this while detecting??

1465848438_fb_img_1465848278610.jpg

Where's the facebook link Brumble, that'll help with the skeptics ,... or, did they say where they took the photo at all ? :eek:

Yeah I saw this to. Kman has a bit of a story to tell along similar lines. This was apparently snapped in Eastern Vic. The poster said it had been killing calves in the area. I cant really say if the pic is ridgey didge or not from looking at it. Could be lifted from the net maybe and repurposed as a hoax. Dunno.

There's a lot of strange, large and fierce feral animals out there. I was attacked by a very large feral cat that had taken up house in a stone fence in the Wollert area just Nth. of Melbourne back in the 80's. Took a nice chunk of flesh. Straight to the doc for a tetanus injection-no mucking around with those things!! :eek:

They may be elusive but I doubt they're invincible. Plenty of reported sightings over the years and a large number seen crossing roads. Odds are a number of them would have been run over, shot or carcass found in the last 50 years. I'm thinking overgrown feral cats + large feral dogs + bullshit artists = All the panther evidence you need to hold some public interest. Not a bad news report on aussie panther sightings here. Most look like big house cats.
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BelReWvzF6o[/video]

Notice a similarity between the facebook cat and this one ;)
13418746_10153508490406993_4254697820044734421_n.jpg

Yeah gotta go with Jaros. Wild cats are a huge problem and they develop into huge animals and are ferocious. Wild dogs are similar. Just think an Alsation mating with a Dingo. You can get a large and wild animal.

As for the Panther? Well I'm very skeptical on that one. I've spent a lot of my years in the bush, and I mean the real bush. I've come across wild dogs and feral cats, and believe me they can do the damage shown in Nuggetino's You Tube. And of course there are the pranksters.

Yeah Gypsy, just saw your post. Cat and fox, but that is a smallish cat compared with some out there.

GypsyGoldAu said:

Great pictures there. Yep, I've seen them about fox size in outback NT. They were all colours up there not just the black ones around here
Not my pic but one I dug up from the territory.
feral-cats-arnhem-land.jpg

Yeah all the " panther " stories in Australia are extremely doubtful , Old war mascots ?

They would now have to be the oldest living cats on earth , ( 75 odd years old now ) , or unless someone would suggest that several were released and they have been breeding , in which case we would see more of them.

no doubt feral cats would get pretty large , as their body evolves bigger and stronger to adapt to their particular hunting conditions over the generations.

:D ...they start out 'cat' size, but after a few toddy's around the winter fire, and a penchant for flamboyance, the 'cats' gain 120lb and 'voila'...Panther Central. :lol:

Ever notice these stories mostly seem to break around late Autumn, early Winter???? :p ;)

GGA

to answer the posts heading.... cooked low and slow with some garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and a nice rich gravy. Well thats what i would like to believe, in reality i would probably pack s#!t and run but i dont think it is legitimate, we all have heard the stories since we were kids and the amount of hunters and cars traveling around surely we would have had a carcass to show for it at least once by now

What about the poor ole Yowie? Sighting of it have gone quiet. You think maybe the panthers could take out the Yowies? or Bigfoots, or whatever. We don't know whats moving around out there.

Latest posts