Communications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear that the 27meg Cb spectrum is very clear these days owing to every one switching to UHF.
Back in my Teen years, I used to work skip like crazy.
All over OZ, NZ and USA a few times.
I inherited my Fathers Super Bengal 40 Channel and a President Washington. Both base stations and
I even found a 40 channel Bengal mobile unit. LOL
If I ever went on a long trip, I would have the 27 meg CB as one of my radios.

Reefer,
CB UHF is a whole different kettle of fish compared to Marine. :)
Marine is more formal than Citizens Band.
Any one can pick up a CB mike and use it where Marine has a lot more discipline involved.
And a lot more Transmit power. 25 watts is the standard for a unit mounted in a boat at 150 to 170 meg frequency.
Mid Band it is generally referred to.
That's some thing. Does any one know if there is an allocation in that spectrum for Public use. ?
I better do some band plan study. LOL

reefer said:
Doug!..i have extensive experience with the marine radio network :cool: what i was looking for was the protocols for the emergency channels ;) i have since found out that ch 5,35 are the go with 5 having recently undergone or is undergoing some sought of upgrade or changes of some kind .I assume emergency procedures mirror that of the marine bands with 3x call sign followed by the emergency statement etc. Are we using 25 as the stand by call channel and then switching to a chat channel or?..your right though, everyone can hear you,and from what i've heard thus far, the lingo over cb on the road is vastly different to the more formal marine jargon. intermittent chat is a useful diversion at times..however my prime motivation here is from the safety aspect of the thing.Why the people in the Tuena area have not rioted for a relay antenna i'll never know..its just a real communication black hole in this age of the mobile phone.The thing is I'll feel that much more relaxed, knowing that people like yourself are contactable in those emergency moments.... and to have a little friendly banter with :cool:

Marine is also vhf and a good radio is capable of 25watt transmit.

Tathradj said:
No Simmo.
But I am thinking of obtaining my Foundation License.
That I can do quite easily. :) :)
And I would be happy with that.

Kewl, I've had my full call license for years, don't use it much nowadays tho...

There is no public cb frequency usage on vhf. Closest would be 2mtrs or 144 megs for Ham use.

AAaahh....crackle....zzzzz. reefer to y'all!.....thank y'all for your input you good old boys you! Ain't nobody gonna stop me now!..zzzzz 10/4 y'all. :cool:

Simmo said:
Tathradj said:
No Simmo.

Kewl, I've had my full call license for years, don't use it much nowadays tho...

There is no public cb frequency usage on vhf. Closest would be 2mtrs or 144 megs for Ham use.

Hello Simmo,
There are a number of us on the forum with ham tickets. I'm VK2EF.

Next main paper work war,
Get my foundation License.
I used to be associated with an inspector.
His first name was Gilbert.
Bloody nice bloke and a card at that.
I did raise his eye brows a few times. PMSL.

TJ, I know that bloke, Gil Hughes, VK1GH. Very knowledgeable about all things to do with radio, and was a RI (Radio Inspector) for many years, He is a really good bloke and has a very entertaining speech about all the funny and wierd things that he saw during his career.

That's him Cris,
We had many a fun time up on mountain tops and towers. LOL
I had a lot of time for him and what he did not know, was not worth knowing.
How is he going DrDuck, ?
I was wondering the other day when I was looking at a SSB 27meg Radio.

I have not seen him for a while now, Doug, not since I was more involved with the local radio club. As far as I know Gil is still going strong with the Canberra radio club, but of course he has been retired for some time.

There used to be a bloke named "Bullbar" who travelled all over Vic on Chanel 40.
He must have had a very powerful base unit or repeaters because he abused and hung crap on anyone who was listening.
His famous comments " Burger burger burger I've got a big co&k" or "get faaaarked burger burger burger"
Quite funny but very annoying. Anyone remember him?

DrDuck said:
Simmo said:
Tathradj said:
No Simmo.

Hello Simmo,
There are a number of us on the forum with ham tickets. I'm VK2EF.

VK2DLI here as well

Cheers

Barry

No but there is this bloke on 40 in Melbourne who reckons he owns the Channel.
Makes out he is a truckie and chips in on conversations.
Boy did I wind him up last time I was down there. LOL
He has been doing it for years. :mad:

BoydWilliam said:
There used to be a bloke named "Bullbar" who travelled all over Vic on Chanel 40.
He must have had a very powerful base unit or repeaters because he abused and hung crap on anyone who was listening.
His famous comments " Burger burger burger I've got a big co&k" or "get faaaarked burger burger burger"
Quite funny but very annoying. Anyone remember him?

On AM or SSB.
What make and model.
Some of the Uniden or President's were modified with a slider.
Illegal as you could vary the TX frequency and receive.
If I remember properly, The knob was called Clarifier.

GaryO said:
While on this topic , does anyone here repair / service cb's ? . I have a ssb unit that transmits off frequency , or so im told by ppl i talk to.

1460520092_20160413_140030.jpg

Still like new ;)

Yeah off frequency when operating on ssb.

They are a nice set.
I have a Super Bengal Base Station version and it did drift a bit.
Best to have it aligned properly with a radio tech or a Ham operator with the right gear.
They are not hard to do.
I have my Ge Electrophone SSB Unit in front of me now.
Have to put it into the 4x4 shortly. LOL

Latest posts