Creswick creeks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can't find water I might try a bit of dry panning. The creeks would have to be bone dry though...

Theres a dam just off slatey creek road if you come in from the creswick/bungaree road side. Its always got water. Goldigg@ even posted a pic of it which he banked out of. Google map/earth the location and youl see it.
Classify the wash all around that area and pan it, you'd be suprised what shows up.

Thanks ballarat_gold,

I'll check it out next time I'm up that way. I found enough gold in Sailors Creek today to keep me busy, seven hours on the pan. I'm keen to check out Creswick soon though.

Apologies for bumping this thread again ive never been to this spot you guys speak of, trying to find some spots to go panning for the first time and creswick is only about an hour away, ive found campsite 3 (on google maps) however it saying its connected to cotty creek not stoney creek? G0lddigg@ mentioned to start at 3 and walk up so now im confused....unless ive got the wrong camp ground in mind?.shame i wasnt a member sooner would have been keen to go there with someone who knows the area.
1459043574_screenshot_2016-03-27-12-50-02.jpg

crumpydv,

If you want somewhere easy to find for a first pan that will yield plenty of gems and maybe a little gold you shoud try Twin Bridges picnic ground in Daylesford.

It's a nice spot that is easily accessible but it has been extensively worked over. Nevertheless, you may get lucky and find a nice little nugget for your efforts. Also, you have a 100% chance of finding enough water to have a pan right next to the parking area. Slaty Creek is most likely dry at the moment.

It is a top spot to get started before heading into more challenging territory.

Wherever you end up, let us know how you went for a first effort. I'm always keen to see someone's first gold regardless of the amount.

Good luck.

Thanks Maltisau appreciate the tip! ill have to visit the spot you mention Daylesford is a nice place too and yes im after places that are accessible ive got a patrol but havent done any serious offroading with it, might have to visit Creswick later in the year if its too dry now. Ill definitely let you know how i go either way if i find some gold ill post it in the applicable section/topic. In the meantime ill just keep researching and visiting different area's people mention on here.

Couple of nice little pickers, well done. Did you go to camp ground 3 like mentioned in your earlier post, seems to be a decent area, think I'll give that area a try myself when I can get there.

Well done crumpydv,

Very nice gold there. More to come once you gain some more experience.

The five things that have helped me locate the shiny stuff are the posts on this forum by G0lddigg@ (especially, but others as well), learning what gold does, learning about fluid dynamics, understanding human nature and practicing panning at every opportunity.

Every day you see colour in the pan is a good day in my book.

Today I found gold before I even unpacked my gear. I met a guy reading a book beside a fire. We talked, he shared some wisdom from the book he was reading, I played with his dog for a bit and he picked up his guitar and sang for me. It brought new meaning to the saying 'gold is where you find it' and I have to say gold can be found everywhere if one has eyes to see. It was a couple of hours of pure gold that I will have always even though no one else can see or touch it.

My outing with Sniffy the other day was also pure gold even though we didn't get onto decent pay dirt that time around. The 0.25g nugget was magnificent though...

Also, once I hit the stream for a few hours I came away with 2.4g of gold for the day! My best effort to date. Some nice pickers were found too!

ozziii said:
Couple of nice little pickers, well done. Did you go to camp ground 3 like mentioned in your earlier post, seems to be a decent area, think I'll give that area a try myself when I can get there.
Thanks mate yeah just up from camp 3 and yes Maltisau ive definitely learned alot from reading what GOlddigg@ has said throughout the forums. Definitely looking foward to learning more and gaining more experience! Speaking of experience anyone want to tell me how to "like" other peoples posts cant seem to find it??

BigWave said:
Nice gold crumpy. Check bottom RH corner of the post.
Thanks mate, all i had in my corners was "report" and "quote" but just paid the membership and now ive got the like option :)

Might have been your post count, might have needed 10 posts first. Don't have to be a paid member to have the like button.

ozziii said:
Might have been your post count, might have needed 10 posts first. Don't have to be a paid member to have the like button.
I reckon your right mate a few things unlock after 10 and i was up around the 10 post mark too :)

If all goes to plan I'm going to Creswick in the next few days, just waiting as I would prefer a day with some warmth & have to finish making a bucket sieve following Ag Mans "how to guide" so it will fit in the buckets I'm taking. Think the wire mesh I got is a bit to thick, had to cut out a bit to get it fitting nicely, should be good & strong when done though.

1459668993_rps20160403_173613.jpg

So went back to slaty again this weekend hit near the same hole from last time. Half way through the 20l bucket now, which was only half full in the first place (just panning it out) and this is what i found (on the right). Not much compared to my first attempt last week (the stuff on the left that i got out again for the pic) but hopefully theres more left in the bucket!. :)

Latest posts