NOKTA FORS CORE Settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is meant to be a general chat about Nokta FORS settings used in different environments so we can gain the most out of our machines given the circumstances we are using them in. Ive had the Nokta FORS CORE now for about 2 maybe 3 months and have given it quite a workout that has included changing in between the different modes and checking depth vs sensitivity in different weather conditions and ground conditions be it surf or turf before I have dug the targets and I have come to the conclusion as what works best for me given the conditions using the standard DD coil.

I live in a coastal town where the turf/ground is a very sandy loam with brown sand for the first 4-6 inches and black/grey sand after that and where the beaches are common east coast beaches.

What I have found on the turf using DI3 as my main mode due to fast tonal differences is that a discrimination of 40 and a sensitivity between 74 and 80 depending on soil moisture content has given me very solid tones and IDs that cannot be mistaken for ground noise to a maximum depth of 250 (Dry) to 300mm (Wet). With these settings coins including 1c, 2c, $1 and $2 and pennys consistently give sharp tones and stable IDs between 80-83 (sometimes 84 but leaning more towards 83 and lower) if it reads 80-82 its a coin no matter what, stable 84 and above has always been trash for me, and between 70-80 its a lucky dip that can include half pennys, 20c and 50c, bits of copper and brass etc. Target IDs between 89-91 have always been 92.5 silver and this has not waivered due to depth and I have found that anything above 93 to be large chunks of aluminium (big thick stuff).

What I have found using the Nokta on the beach is that the COND mode is very quite in wet and dry sand to the point I question any depth I may be getting using the same DISC and Sens as I use on the field. When I have found targets on the beach I have used what was advised to me and that was to use DI2 mode and manually ground balance when needed using these settings I have found aluminium cans at 450-500mm (the length of my arm).

I have also been using ground tracking lately and I believe it has also helped my target tally, the reason I use this is that at times when I have tried to GB I sometimes have to move a few metres away to be able to successfully GB, which directs me to believe that there are large differences in ground conductivity in very short distances that will effect performance.
Please share your experiences using the Nokta so we may all get the best out of a fabulous machine.

Cheers Havinago

Good onya mate.
That is very easy to read and understand info
Im sure it will be a very helpful guide to many as this new machine gains traction

Very good info. With mine for general coin hunting I too prefer Di3 but in sandy or built up areas of parks, like under trees or edges of mounds etc, I flick to Di2 and it certainly gives me more depth. If I'm I cherry picking a site first or just hunting goldies, I run the Sens very low, 25-40 , and disc up around 55, and it'll still get a solid hit on targets deeper than I'm prepared to dig.
A faint repeatable tone with no ID is nearly always a deep coin.

Nenad

When beach detecting use COG mode for fast GB, it will carry over to the other modes.

Using tracking on the beach will change/upset the GB not only in the mode used, but all other modes as well.

At switch-on in DI2 and on wet beach, do manual GB all the way to 0, for fine tuning go 0.1, 0.2 in that range.

After GB in DI2 flick over to GEN search mode, this mode is deeper and have threshold audio which helps in hearing ground changes.

Now set sensitivity to a usable level.

Now, go Search/Find!

rocketaroo said:
high 90s I get old florins, around 84/5 pennies.

Thats very interesting, i wonder if like cars you can get differences between the same model or if its got to do with ground conditions, very interesting :cool:

Havinago said:
rocketaroo said:
high 90s I get old florins, around 84/5 pennies.

Thats very interesting, i wonder if like cars you can get differences between the same model or if its got to do with ground conditions, very interesting :cool:

Depends on what orientation the coin has in the ground, amongst other things. I've had florins ring up a lot lower than expected, along with a fairly weak tone. The last one I found was near vertical in the hole, with the coil only seeing a very thin cross section of the coin.

Such variability is why I tend to ignore the ID and go mainly via tones. Different detector, though same principle. :)

Goldpick said:
Such variability is why I tend to ignore the ID and go mainly via tones. Different detector, though same principle. :)

That's the thing that rocks about the CoRe. You basically hunt by audio, much like my Bandido or Vaquero, but with 2 or 3 tones, and when the detector isn't sure on the target, no ID is displayed - it doesn't pretend to know. It basically says "I know there's something there but I'll leave it to you big guy"
But when it does display an ID, it is generally very consistent.

I think this is the best blend of a beep n dig machine, and a TID unit.

Latest posts