The screw driver method and the slit method

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good article - I used to use the screwdriver method, with a large blunted screwdriver (The end was somewhat rounded like the end of a spoon) the screwdriver was both probe and retriever. Would probe down till contact, remove screwdriver and and insert say an inch back from contact and slightly deeper and lever up. Became proficient and there was little to no sign I was even there. Cheers, Mark

Very interesting article. I have just got started and only worked sand areas so far as they are much easier to dig and refill. Can you tell me is this the best way to dig in grassed areas ?
I have read about finds being made in parks, sports fields, etc. I'd like to give it a go but want to be sure I leave as little damage as possible after I'm finished.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

It is a little laughable that the the most manicured and probably most damaged fields are all done by people who feel that a divot is good and that by throwing it back in the hole with a little soil on top is considered correct ? Golf anyone...

I do like the slit method and have not seen that before, I usually worked the plug or screwdriver technique. I reckon I will use the slit method instead of the plug next time and see how it goes. Always good to know better techniques. Perhaps a groundskeeper may be able to add the best way to repair grass ? I can see a fully lifted plug taking a while to come back, but a plug that you get under and keep the root stock in tact should repair in a matter of days I would have thought.

There again I have fake turf front yard and back yard so what would I know :8

Hi Mosquito. Welcome to the forum.
A lot of people believe that coin popping or the slit method do less damage to grassed areas. As with all things, have a look on youtube for coin popping.
Most caring people try to stay away from manicured lawns so as not to upset other users of the area and the local council.
Also think about how dry the ground is. Much easier to coin pop of cut a plug and the lawn will recover more quickly if the ground in not too dry. If it is dry maybe come back to that area after some soaking rain.

A couple of topics you may find interesting.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3545

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3734

Thanks very much Ramjet. very helpfull information. now to find time to get some practice in on the different methods.

Latest posts