You are not logged in.

• Register to access additional forum features.  

Nugget
22 December 2012 05:14 pm

Please note in most cases both fossicking and prospecting are covered under the same legislations / regulations.

New South Wales

A license to fossick in NSW is not required except for State Forests - You can obtain a State Forest Fossicking Permit by contacting your nearest Forestry office, the cost of the permit is $22 which covers all NSW State Forests unless otherwise stated.

A Guide to Fossicking in New South Wales (NSW Government)
http://www.resources.nsw.gov.au/__data/ … -Wales.PDF

NSW State Forest Fossicking Permit - How to Apply!
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=3048
----

Queensland

A license is required to fossick QLD - You can obtain a Fossicking License either Online or by contacting your nearest District and regional office - A Queensland Fossicking License can be purchased to cover a period of 1 month, 6 months or 1 year with the cost ranging from around $7 to $45 respectively.

Fossicking in Queensland (Queensland Government)
http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking

Purchase a Fossicking Permit Online (Queensland Government)
http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/fossi … es-permits
----

Victoria

Victoria Prospecting Guide (Victoria Department of Primary Industries)
http://m.dpi.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/p … -Guide.pdf

Victoria Miners Rights FAQs (Victoria Department of Primary Industries)
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/earth-resourc … cking/faqs

Victoria Miners Right - Apply Online
https://checkout.payments.com.au/dpi_minersRight/
----

Western Australia

Prospecting in Western Australia (WA Gevernment / Department of Mines & Petroleum)
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/456.aspx

Western Australia Miners Rights (WA Gevernment / Department of Mines & Petroleum)
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/10871.aspx
----

South Australia

South Australia Fossicking FAQs
http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/minerals/licen … aq_fossick

South Australia Prosecting FAQs
http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/minerals/licen … rospecting
----

Northern Territory

Fossicking in Northern Territory (Northern Territory Government)
http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Minerals_Energy/ … Fossicking

Discovering the Undiscovered (Northern Territory Government)
http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Minerals_Energy/ … nformation
----

Tasmania

Tasmanian Prospecting Licenses (Mineral Resources Tasmania)
http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/portal/page?_ … ema=PORTAL

Fossicking Areas in Tasmania (Mineral Resources Tasmania)
http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/pls/portal/do … COLOUR.PDF

More info to come..

Whites TDI Pro (OZ Series) with NF 6x8 Sadie Advantage.. Nuggies can hide but they can't run.

2 users like this post: cactus, Melmac

dezman
07 September 2013 05:59 am

Thanks for the links and i remind everyone to read carefully as i was caught
out in the interpreting the rules!
I guess we only read what we want to see, hence the confusion most
have with the rules.
When this couple pointed out the processing part in the NSW fossicking
guide,it was hard to see i was wrong!
By placing ore into a highbanker which is powered by a petrol pump
and extracting gold is processing by machine power.
I don't think i could say im washing rocks so they look pretty.

Watch where your walking for Gold does not float in the air.

shivan
07 September 2013 08:00 am

The highbanker itself is not mechanical, only the water pump attached to it. The water pump is not processing gravel the highbanker is. All the the mechanical water pump is doing is pumping water from point a to point b, which is allowed for prospecting via the NSW water act.

Minelab GP Extreme 11" & 18" DD, 2 highbankers, EZ river sluice and a growing collection of sieves and pans

1 user likes this post: Sw1fty

Sarn
17 October 2013 07:31 am

Hi guys, I have been struggling to find info about metal detecting regulations in the ACT, does anyone know where I can find this info?

Cheers

Nugget
17 October 2013 08:27 am

I think this might be one for Wal?

Whites TDI Pro (OZ Series) with NF 6x8 Sadie Advantage.. Nuggies can hide but they can't run.

Ozjono
17 October 2013 08:43 am

Nugget your qld link does not work , it says the links been moved

Nugget
17 October 2013 11:23 am

Thanks mate, I've just added some updated links and a little more info. I'll continue to add more information to it over the next few days.

1 user likes this post: Ozjono

Silver_Fox
31 October 2013 05:05 pm

I would be interest to know too Sarn.
I have only been turned away from one public place before and the guy couldn't give me a reason why I wasn't allowed there, so I'm assuming he didn't want me digging up the nice grass... I am careful and always fill in my holes!

SF

Sarn wrote:

Hi guys, I have been struggling to find info about metal detecting regulations in the ACT, does anyone know where I can find this info?

Cheers

Equipment: Garrett AT Pro International, Garrett Pin Pointer, Garrett Edge digger tongue

Nugget
08 January 2014 07:34 pm

I have received an update regarding the new online permit system.

Work is still progressing on an online system to facilitate state-wide permits. I do anticipate it being available within a couple of months.

mbasko
12 January 2014 08:51 am

For NSW a permit may also be required for TSR's (Travelling Stock Routes) that aren't designated as fossicking areas (which is most of them). A permit is easily obtained from the LHPA (Livestock Health & Pest Authority) free of charge & is a requirement of the NSW Fossicking Guidelines.
Contact 1300 795 299 for your local office & enquire if permit/s are required for any TSR/s of interest.
P.s the LHPA is/has undergone a name change & may now be known as Local Land Services (LLS).

http://www.lls.nsw.gov.au/contact-us

Last edited by mbasko (12 January 2014 09:17 am)

RedClaire
02 June 2014 05:35 pm

Hi Sarn,

I just contacted ACT Policing today and was told that (aside for having to hand in modern money and asking permission for private property) there are no restrictions on the use of metal detectors in the ACT.

I intend on printing out the response from ACT Policing and having it on me incase I am ever questioned.

History nerd and newbie

trekwithleena
12 July 2014 03:38 pm

In regards to QLD fossicking licences. Is it possible to for a "club" and pay only $77.50 for the entire year for 50 people? That would equate to $1.55 each? Or is there a 'catch'?

Digit
21 August 2014 01:26 am

can any one prove that this correct?

shivan wrote:

The highbanker itself is not mechanical, only the water pump attached to it. The water pump is not processing gravel the highbanker is. All the the mechanical water pump is doing is pumping water from point a to point b, which is allowed for prospecting via the NSW water act.

Collector of hobbies

Average Joe
20 November 2014 07:55 pm

Sounds logical to me

Minelab GPX 5000, AT Gold Pro, Pro Pointer, Grandads trappin pick, Coldies in the fridge

outboard
22 November 2014 12:25 pm

Digit wrote:

can any one prove that this correct?

shivan wrote:

apart from this being correct , under the terms of the mining regs and laws of every state seem to be the same as to when the transfer of title occurs which is when you have removed the mineral from the earth. so technically you use a spade to remove the minerals from the ground and then you own them, you use the highbanker to return unwanted minerals to the earth

if using a highbanker is illegal on the grounds it is using mechanical equipment it also means that using a bluebowl is illegal for the same reason.

Last edited by outboard (22 November 2014 12:25 pm)

If it was easy everybody would be doing it and there would be none left for you and me

Gofor Gold
08 February 2015 07:42 pm

So trying to expand on the use of highbanker in NSW,is ok to use the pump being a mechanised unit in conjunction with the sluice then doesn't that make the both combined then a mechanised unit as per said?
I really need some clarification on this as I don't want to pay thousands of dollars in fines for twenty dollars worth of gold and have equipment confiscated as well,way too expensive on a maybe.

Marked
08 February 2015 08:02 pm

Gofor Gold; this appears to be one of those NSW "grey areas" that seem so prevalent in most State's regs/guidelines on prospecting and the correct answer will depend on who is interpreting the written rules/regs. The Parks Officer concerned at the plume of sediment washing down the stream is going to interpret the highbanker as a banned piece of mechanical equipment - the Parks Officer observing you discharging into a tailings dam with some form of sediment control is more likely to suggest you make sure you fill in your hole before you leave and go on his way ... perhaps recording your licence plate in case you don't clean up after yourself when he checks back later.

"The Sun's not Yellow, It's Chicken." Bob Dylan - Tombstone Blues (Highway 61 Revisited{1965})

2 users like this post: mbasko, dwt

Olmate
08 February 2015 09:27 pm

Interested in the verdict of a petrol powered water pump into a high banker , I'm only new to this so have no idea , a guy told me it was illegal at GG the other day , I couldn't debate it as I could not interpret the laws , and am looking to buy a set up now

Marked
08 February 2015 09:56 pm

many many posts on this and other forums related to exactly this - see my post above - I don't believe you'll get a better answer than that.

"The Sun's not Yellow, It's Chicken." Bob Dylan - Tombstone Blues (Highway 61 Revisited{1965})

mbasko
08 February 2015 10:40 pm

Olmate wrote:

Interested in the verdict of a petrol powered water pump into a high banker , I'm only new to this so have no idea , a guy told me it was illegal at GG the other day , I couldn't debate it as I could not interpret the laws , and am looking to buy a set up now

You really need to make your own decision on it & go with what you feel right doing. There has been many a discussion/heated debate on it.
My interpretation, although I am no lawyer & don't suggest you follow what I do/say, is that under various legislation it is ok. Pushing Government Departments on a decision may end up with something handed down that we aren't going to like. Best left alone I reckon & when in Rome do what the Romans do.

New South Wales Consolidated Regulations wrote:

WATER MANAGEMENT (GENERAL) REGULATION 2011 - SCHEDULE 5
SCHEDULE 5 – Exemptions
(Clauses 18 and 39)
Part 1 - Access licence exemptions

7 Prospecting or fossicking

Any person lawfully engaged in prospecting or fossicking for minerals or petroleum under the Mining Act 1992 or the Petroleum (Onshore) Act 1991 -in relation to:

(a) the taking of water required for such prospecting or fossicking pursuant to a lease, licence, mineral claim or environmental assessment permit under the Mining Act 1992 or a petroleum title under the Petroleum (Onshore) Act 1991 (an "authority" ), up to a maximum of 3 megalitres for all such prospecting or fossicking pursuant to each such authority in any water year, and

(b) the taking of up to 3 megalitres of water required for all other such prospecting or fossicking in any water year.

Also:

www.legislation.nsw.gov.au  wrote:

Mining Act 1992 No 29
Current version for 11 January 2013 to date (accessed 8 September 2013 at 15:06)

Part 2 Division 1 Section 12

12 Fossicking

(1) For the purposes of this or any other Act or law, it is declared that fossicking is a lawful activity.

www.legislation.nsw.gov.au wrote:

Mining Regulation 2010

Part 2 Prospecting and mining generally

12 Fossicking

(2) A person must not carry out work that includes any of the following activities for the purpose of fossicking:
(c) the use of power-operated equipment for the purpose of surface disturbance, excavation or processing on any land,

(3) In this clause:
power-operated equipment means any equipment powered by mechanical or electrical means.

Basically you can take/use water up to 3meg for fossicking/prospecting.
The pump delivers water to the highbanker - nothing else. It doesn't power the highbanker in any way. A bucket will do the same thing - deliver water.
The pump isn't used for surface disturbance, excavation & it doesn’t process anything. It plain & simple delivers water to your static non-powered sluice/highbanker.
As I said above - each individual just needs to make a decision on what they are comfortable doing & prepared to justify is ok if approached by a ranger etc.

Last edited by mbasko (08 February 2015 10:53 pm)

1 user likes this post: Olmate

Olmate
08 February 2015 10:42 pm

Marked the answer is pretty good , just wondering if there's any difference between privately owned land and public prospecting areas

mbasko
08 February 2015 11:05 pm

Olmate wrote:

Marked the answer is pretty good , just wondering if there's any difference between privately owned land and public prospecting areas

None - the legislation states "on any land". Doesn't even matter if you own the land yourself.
Public prospecting areas may also have further restrictions in place though as could private land if gaining access permission - the owner may not want you pumping in his creek either. The managers of the public land; who could be Local Land Services, Councils, Commons Trusts, Leaseholders etc.; can put in other rules such as no pumps etc.
Like I said above when in Rome do what the Romans do I.e. if you see people highbanking somewhere then it is probably ok. If you go to a public area & nobody is using a highbanker & people are using it for other recreational activities I wouldn't start setting my noisy pump up there & disturbing their leisure activities. Tact is key in my opinion & if your seen to be trying to do things right you usually get left alone.

Last edited by mbasko (08 February 2015 11:07 pm)

Marked
08 February 2015 11:08 pm

Olmate wrote:

Same rules apply - make your own decision on whether the likelihood of being checked out by the authorities is the same.

Edit: mbasko beat me to an answer, and may have said it better. Certainly mentioned the "tact" thing which I believe is a huge factor in any prospecting you do,

Last edited by Marked (08 February 2015 11:11 pm)

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service