Australia Critters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
backcreek said:
Oh and by the way Rotgrub all snakes in Australia are protected species even though they can kill you you can't kill them.

Your education of Australia continues.
I think you're allowed to kill them in self defence, like if they pull a knife, or a gun, or a thong or something on you.

I found this little guy in Fryerstown while chasing a junk target. He was about 100mm with his tail down, following a centipede about 150mm. Bare hand and no scoop. He doesn't look big, but he was. Freaked me out :eek: :eek:
1432300641_023.jpg

NeoGeo said:
I found this little guy in Fryerstown while chasing a junk target. He was about 100mm with his tail down, following a centipede about 150mm. Bare hand and no scoop. He doesn't look big, but he was. Freaked me out :eek: :eek:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5115/1432300641_023.jpg

Yea, we got scorpions too. Ours are not much of a threat as their sting is just a bit more painful than a bee sting. I'm guessing your buggers will kill you in a few hours...

backcreek said:
Oh and by the way Rotgrub all snakes in Australia are protected species even though they can kill you you can't kill them.

We also have a lot of protected species. But most outdoorsmen believe these rules are just guidelines for "other" people. Its like driving, just recommendations for the inexperienced.... Don't get me wrong, we just don't go around and kill everything without reason... Our critters understand that the human is the most dangerous, vicious creature in the wild and if they are rude or delusional then corrective actions must be taken!

Chewy said:
backcreek said:

I think you're allowed to kill them in self defence, like if they pull a knife, or a gun, or a thong or something on you.

That's why we carry snake shot in the .357 it makes short work of these slithering beast. The rattle snakes sound off quite loud, which we take as fair warning and move away. On the other hand your snakes seem to be the sneaky type which is not cool.

Getting ready to head out for some highbanking. I talk to you guys in a few days. I'll be keeping an eye out for all the nasty critters you brought to my attention... Thanks

Hey Rotgrub "no offence" mate but ive worked in LA and Mexico and id rather spend a week in our bush armed with only a can of bug spray and bundgie smugglers then live with all you gun totten tweekers..... hahahaha i honestly believe you are safer with the bears and cougars...then the burbs. Nice thread mate

Aborigines can hunt/fish anything any where in Australia and eat it... they can dig holes anywhere as well.. usualy with me looking over his shoulder in case there is something else in the hole besides the witchety grubs he eats... :)

Ridge Runner said:
That stinging Tree is up around Mackay, A Bloke up there had a Berry from it hit him on the Nose and he said he felt like his nose was pulsing and getting bigger and smaller each time and A Horse did Die because of it, It got stung on the face and it smash its head on everything trying to stop it or get off what was causing the Pain,

The berry's from this tree are eat able
its the top of the leaf that you don't want to touch
tiny hair's on the leaf are the thing that stings you, the underside of the leaf is ok to touch
the toxins that are released, aren't enough to kill you, but the pain is bad enough, that you will kill yourself
An American soldier made the mistake of wiping his bum with one
the pain was so bad, he shot himself

come on guys stop trying to scare people from our prospecting spots
the snakes we have are scared of the dark so the will cling to your arm for reassurance
1432337225_img_0264.jpg

the spiders like to sit around the fire with you while having a beer
1432337265_img_0263.jpg

the scorpions shake your hand
1432337308_img_0262.jpg

the ONLY thing you need to watch is the domestic cats here, they have Lasers in there eyes and will kill without notice, i was lucky to escape this close call...
1432337380_img_0261.jpg

Struth, those Scorpions with the Little Claws are Deadly, Big Claws no worries, I had one of the little ones on my chest Once, Holy %$& :eek:

Then One night I got on the Turps and when I was going down stairs to the car to get my smokes I saw something move out the corner of my Eye and A Flaming Huntsman Stood up on it Back Legs and Bit me on the Toe, That Stung A Bit Not much though so they dragged me off to the Hospital to check I was Ok and it was not a nasty spider, But my Blood pressure was Low and they said they weren't sure if it was the Bite or the Scotch, lol

our Australian scorpions are relatively harmless, will string and it does hurt but are not lethal, the little and big pincer thing is right but not when it comes to our scorpion, there hasnt been a recorded death in Australia from a scorpion sting, just ice pack the string and you should seek medical attention incase you have an allergic reaction just like bees etc , poor things are just miss understood lol my daughter and i have had a few as pets, i wont let her handle them tho and i am not suggesting anyone just go out and grab them in case you are one of the unlucky ones to have a reaction

jamie said:
our Australian scorpions are relatively harmless, will string and it does hurt but are not lethal, the little and big pincer thing is right but not when it comes to our scorpion, there hasnt been a recorded death in Australia from a scorpion sting, just ice pack the string and you should seek medical attention incase you have an allergic reaction just like bees etc , poor things are just miss understood lol my daughter and i have had a few as pets, i wont let her handle them tho and i am not suggesting anyone just go out and grab them in case you are one of the unlucky ones to have a reaction

Well that comforting to know, I wasn't sure when I saw it, But I was A Shock.

my first encounter with an Australian scorpion was when i was a few years younger out riding dirt bikes and it was a hot day so i was standing bare foot in a puddle and this poor scorpion was climbing my leg to get out of said puddle, scared the hell out of me and also sparked an interest in them

I've dug a few targets recently and noticed I had a spider in my hand when separating the dirt haha. When we were last out at avoca we threw a log in the fire and 4 little scorpions came running out. I was also cutting some wood earlier that day and about 50 hunsmans came running out of the log followed by their big f@#k off mum.
Ran over a couple of big browns out there on the bike to. Got on the gas over one up a hill and shot it up in the air towards the rider behind me unintentionally. It landed at his front wheel and he went over it as well.
I would have avoided it if possible but I was full noise and wasn't able to avoid, out of instinct I just wrapped it on lol

Yeah, not a big fan of huntsman spiders. The dopey ones are ok, you know those slow moving ones. Every now and then ya get 1 of those bugga's that run around like they're on speed, they freak me out a bit. I shot one in my bedroom with the slug gun once when I was about 14. Biiiiiiig bugga! :eek:

walshie1000 said:
When we were last out at avoca we threw a log in the fire and 4 little scorpions came running out.
That is how I got the scorpion I had on my hand, put a piece of wood on the fire and my daughter spotted the scorpion, I saved it and she wanted it to keep it as a pet, she also had a massive huntsman as a pet at the time too and the wood was from a brought bag from a servo

Latest posts