Hiking into Durikai

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another new guys here.
I have never panned before.

I have just got myself a couple of pans and concentrator and was going to head out to Durikai this weekend. As I do not have a 4WD, I was going to just stop along the cunningham highway by the fossicking area and hike into the bush.

On google maps I can only see reedy creek, any good panning in there ? I presume there are other small creeks around in Durikai as well.

Any suggestions of areas I can go without a 4WD ?

Hi Phil,

have you thought about Thanes creek fossicking area? You can get there in a lowered Commodore station wagon no problems :D
and you only have to hike 10 meters to the creek.

And any one who says there is no gold there is telling you porky pies, other members on here have dug a little and found some nice colour

Good Luck!

MJB

How did you know I had a lowered Commodore station wagon ? Well not lowered, but low profile tiers.

That's good news about Thames Creek, I'll give it a go. Is there usually water in the creek at this time of year ?

ha ha...I only know because thats how I got there in my brothers wagon....yours is not blue too is it?

There are a couple of big water holes there that should have water in them and considering how much rain you guys have had up there lately I would hazard a guess there would be plenty

Hey there phil,
Most of the area can be negotiated by a std wagon and would save a lot of walking.
You can drive right up to some of the gullies in that area and do pretty well too.
Good luck
Cheers
Brad....

Hi Phil,
I went up to thanes creek on Saturday just gone.
first time i've ever tried panning and got a tiny amount

I decided to get the turbopan and miniturbopan, and very happy how a new guy could catch the small stuff

there is water there but a bit more would be nice :)

Ok I cant post images yet due to a not reaching post limit.
I did find some although it was very tiny stuff about 12 pieces for 4 hours work. but I was happy

Yes, no joke I have a blue station wagon.

Thanks guys,
Well looks like Thames Creek it is then, will let you know how I go.

What_trigger
I'm on the gold coast.

Heres the pic I was trying to put up earlier.

I found this at Thanes creek, and was happy as its the first colour i've ever found.
been a newbie I had nothing but praise for the miniturbopan considering those tiny bits I managed to catch and that's the edge of a 5c piece

lol, but like a fishing trip. they seemed bigger onsite while the excitement was higher :)

Nice gold there What_Trigger,

And Phil, seriously i'm not a stalker :D
My brothers lowered, late model, blue V8 commo wagon got in there no probs but some pretty angry looking storms were brewing and we had to get out of there before we had to do some creek crossings.

Hope you guys meet up and find some good colour

what_trigger

I cannot PM yet, looks like you need 10 posts before you can PM.

I will be going up this Sunday with my wife and daughter, who are also first times. I was going to try and be there around 9AM. Your more than welcome to join up with us, you will be the experienced one. Look out for the blue holden station wagon.

Hope you had a good day when you get to read this.
As you would of gathered i didnt make it.

Somehow got roped into baby sitting 3 kids for today :(
Dosnt help ive got no clue when it comes to a baby and toddler

Well Managed to get out to Thanes Creek yesterday, for my first time panning. After about 5 or 6 pans I was looking at small pebbles wondering if they were gold, unfortunately they were not. I was wondering what gold looks like in a pan, checking out every grain of sand. I emptied the last dirt out of my bucket into my pan just before lunch and really took my time, swishing nearly all the black sand away and there in front of me was my first piece of gold. All be it a very small piece, I now knew what it looked like in the pan. After lunch I went back to the creek and managed to get a few more very small pieces. I think in the beginning I was not washing all the black sand away in the corner of the pan, so I guess I just wash some away. Anyway it was a learning experience, all the better for next time.

I will have to tee up a day trip soon and see if we can meet up, got a 4x4 and I will take you out to the back blocks and see if we can score a few bits.
Cheers
Brad

It brings a smile to your face the very first time you find a bit doesn't it :)
Glad you found some though, still annoyed I couldn't get out though

One thing I notices as well after I scored a few pieces was that gold sits pretty solidly on the bottom of the pan compared to a lot of other stuff when you gently swish it around in circles.

Hi luckyphil, I spend a bit of time up that way and can tell you that you are better off in durakai then thanes. The best thing you can do is research.....and lots of it! You may be surrounded by gold and get nothing in the pan if you don't know where to dig. When I first started out, the more I learnt the 'luckier' I got. In my opinion, someone telling you a 'good' spot to go, doesn't teach you anything. Doing the hard yards yourself will make you a better prospector. As for how to find gold, you could not be in a better place, this forum is a wealth of knowledge. The members here are always happy to help :) good luck out there.
P.s be careful with the family out there- I always find gold, but I also find snakes, spiders,scorpions, ticks, leeches and dingos :eek:

Yes as with most things, you need the theory, but your nothing untill you have practical experience.

I've been looking at Talgai for the next outing, but will also do some research on Durakai. As mentioned before, need to drive a standard vehicle as close as possible to a site and hike in.

Haha, getting out there and doing it is more enjoyable then staring at a computer screen. Talgai is a great spot with chunky gold, even some pickers if your lucky!
But not as accessible due to being more hilly and rocky, there are water diversion bunds along the tracks which a standard car won't get over. You will need to do a fair bit of hiking.
Durakai however is a lot more accessible if you enter from the Cunningham highway gate, you could drive to within 20 Mtrs of the creek. The gold isn't as chunky, but there is more colours per pan than talgai. Good luck!! :)

Latest posts