GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Marty, I haven't had the need to use the ferrite ring so far, the walk and swing method has been working perfectly for me. But I'll be trying it in a few different areas to see if it improves anything.

The last pump of the coil after releasing the Quick trak is nothing new. JP advises the same thing.

Redfin said:
Thanks Nenad, Just to clarify I am very happy with the GPZ, and we are finding gold, so all is well.

Just so much conflicting info.

JP releases a paper on ground balancing and explains the memory loop in which the GB works, and how the Quick Track button dumps all the info then you have to start again. = https://www.minelab.com/aus/treasure-talk/my-method-for-ground-balancing-the-gpz-7000

But in his video he explains how to do what I do, Noise cancel, then GB in High Yield, then immediately GB in General.
So why isn't it dumping the GB info then ? = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ezuOB1yREQ

Or has it 2 "Loops" of memory, or 3, or 4???

If we ever get a software update I would like another screen with 6 user buttons, to store 6 favorite sets of settings.
If there are numerous "loops" it would be an easy fix and adding another UI page.

I think JP has also mentioned this somewhere on another forum but I asked him directly early on and he confirmed that for each mode - ie High Yield / General etc that the GB info is stored and remembered - ie. if you GB in High Yield and switch to General it'll need a new GB but if you switch back to High Yield the GB will revert to what it had stored prior to the switch. So for each session a GB is required when switching modes but you can revert back at anytime. This is the same when switching to Manual tracking in that when you switch back from Manual to Auto it'll pick up where it left off. Hope that helps / clears things up. This is what I follow on the field and works well for me.

Thanks for your input SDAL, the way I read it is is contradictory. The quick track button either dumps ALL the data or not.

Pressing the Quick Trak dumps any ground balance data for the mode you are in. It won't lose any info you have for the other modes.

SteelPat said:
PhaseTech said:
And by "mode" I mean any Gold Mode / Ground Type combination.

Does that mean it will store 9 sets of data? ie 3 modes x 3 ground types?

That was going to be my next question as well.
I have a paddock I have just started that will , from the way I am reading the ground, use;
HY / Normal
HY / Diff
Gen / Normal
Gen / Diff
Deep / Diff

Would be nice to be able to store these "settings' permanently. It is over 200 acres and I'll be wasting
a lot of time.

I understand what you mean Redfin and it would be great to just be able to switch on and go but realistically conditions change from day to day so doing a GB on that day for the specific ground you're working and mode you're using will get you the best performance. I don't mind spending the extra time to ensure the detector is performing at it's best - could be the difference between picking up a bigger bit or missing it.

I agree. Ground balance will change from day to day - moisture content etc will make a difference. I generally just flick between a couple of different settings so now I know that I will perform a ground balance for each of the settings I know I will use for the day. It doesnt take too long but the noise cancel part always seems to take forever - especially when there is a good looking bit of ground in front of you.

Would still like to know just how many sets of data we can store in a days detecting.

Redfin said:
Would still like to know just how many sets of data we can store in a days detecting.

It'll be one for each combo - ie HY/Normal, HY/Difficult etc as far as I'm aware. That's assuming you don't turn the detector off, if you power cycle then you'll need to re-do the combos.

I assume you are right, but would be nice to get an official "yes".
I might ask ML directly.

SirDigsALot said:
Redfin said:

It'll be one for each combo - ie HY/Normal, HY/Difficult etc as far as I'm aware. That's assuming you don't turn the detector off, if you power cycle then you'll need to re-do the combos.

Redfin, theoretically, they can & do retain many details on power off, depending on what type of memory they are using for that storage. In fact I believe that the last settings used are saved on power off, so that may include settings for several modes.

See comments on Steve's forum.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/f...or-commentary-on-the-minelab-gpz-7000/?p=5788

Rob.

Hi Bob,
You said you were off to Rushworth next week, this Saturday morning Bendigo Gold are running a training day on the GPZ7000 which I intend to attend. So depending on your traveling times you might be able to book in.
Cheers Max

Highway1 said:
Hi Bob,
You said you were off to Rushworth next week, this Saturday morning Bendigo Gold are running a training day on the GPZ7000 which I intend to attend. So depending on your traveling times you might be able to book in.
Cheers Max
thanks max for the info.i only deal with coiltek at maryborough,they also will take new buyers of equipment out to run through all the features,they also have had the same staff for years,feel so comfortable in their store,go out of their way to make your day,not so at bendigo gold ,seem to be so busy,appear to not follow up their promises, this is only my mates and myself experience,horses for courses.rushworth trip off for a couple of weeks.will let you know how 7000 against 5000,at this point its a draw,but now have replacment 7000,may take a points lead, heres hoping,my buddy found a 64grm nugget last week with the 5000,sitting on the fence to see how the test goesregards bob h.

Well here is the pi$$ poor reply I got from Minelab:

Dear Sir
Can I refer you back to your Local Dealer, They are prospectors themselves & have experience in your local area. They also are able to liase with Mr Jonathon Porter. He was involved in the Field testing of the GPZ 7000 & is very experienced in its use & operation.

He will be able to contact you if the dealer feels it is necessary.

Great customer service after buying a premium product! Product 1 : Customer Service 0

Just to top it off:

Dear Sir
We are not detectorists ourselves only Electronic Service Techs, Minelab has thought it best to provide the services of a professional Detectorist to best help with the use & set up of the GPZ 7000.

As he has been involved for quite some time with Minelab & the GPZ 7000 his experience is invaluable.

Now I am an electronics tech, own my own business and do warranty work for some of the biggest electronics companies. To provide a fully tested warranty repair you have to know how the product works. How can they provide fully tested repairs when they cant tell me whether the unit stores ground balance data for each mode/ground type combination????

Latest posts