GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bob hillier.[/quote said:
minelab replaced the gpz7000 being a faulty unit,thank you minelab,us old blokes do know something,after fourty years we do get the drift,anyhow thanks for the info. will consider any information that will help,thank you and regards bob hillier.ps off today to check replacment gpz7000, three of us with a total of 130 years of detecting...bh.

I see in another thread you said Minelab gave you these two tests to do to check if your other GPZ was faulty:

" five cent piece in air test should be picked up at 15 to 18 inches "

" .03 of a grm.gold should pick up at 6 inches "

Therefore did you perform these two air tests to check your replacement GPZ 7000 before you headed off today?

Rush said:
minelab replaced the gpz7000 being a faulty unit,thank you minelab,us old blokes do know something,after fourty years we do get the drift,anyhow thanks for the info. will consider any information that will help,thank you and regards bob hillier.ps off today to check replacment gpz7000, three of us with a total of 130 years of detecting...bh.

I see in another thread you said Minelab gave you these two tests to do to check if your other GPZ was faulty:

Therefore did you perform these two air tests to check your replacement GPZ 7000 before you headed off today?
yes we checked with five cent coin, .3 grm gold 6 inches,also buried 5 cent coin ,18inches good signal,tried general and deep gold, got a good signal,also air test ,02 grm-deep signal was a good signal,my question now is, why not run in deep,anyhow this machine works well, next week off to rushworth,to compare the5000 against the 7000, nice to know that the 7000 works ok,not operator error....regards bob hillier

bob hillier said:
Rush said:

yes we checked with five cent coin, .3 grm gold 6 inches,also buried 5 cent coin ,18inches good signal,tried general and deep gold, got a good signal,also air test ,02 grm-deep signal was a good signal,my question now is, why not run in deep,anyhow this machine works well, next week off to rushworth,to compare the5000 against the 7000, nice to know that the 7000 works ok,not operator error....regards bob hillier

Bob, Extra Deep can't be used if in Severe ground type, in fact if you go to Severe ground type it defaults to High Yield and won't allow you to select Extra Deep. Also because of the timing required to detect deep targets, you are likely to miss small targets near the surface if in Extra Deep.

Rob.

bob hillier said:
, .3 grm gold 6 inches,,02 grm-deep signal was a good signal,

Thanks bob for your reply.

I feel you may have made an error in the nugget sizes for the air tests.

Therefore can you confirm the nugget sizes as previously in that other thread you mentioned " ,0.3 of a grm " however above you are now saying ",.3 gram " and then " ,02 gram " ?

Thanks again.

PhaseTech said:
Redfin said:
PhaseTech said:
Repeat the above whenever you change Gold Mode / Ground Type settings, or when starting off in a new spot.
Nenad

Hey Nenad, you can actually ground balance on the different Gold Modes one after another on initial setup, then you can switch between modes whilst out in the field.

Yes of course, but you won't have the optimum Noise Cancel channel.

True, but if you stay in the same general area [unless you are on runway 5 at Tulla] is shouldn't make that much difference.

I , and most I know, change back and forth between High Yield and Gen quite often, some times 5 or 6 times when digging or locating a target.
If we re ground balanced and did an auto noise cancel everytime we change, there would be no time left to detect.

PabloP said:
bob hillier said:
Rush said:

Bob, Extra Deep can't be used if in Severe ground type, in fact if you go to Severe ground type it defaults to High Yield and won't allow you to select Extra Deep. Also because of the timing required to detect deep targets, you are likely to miss small targets near the surface if in Extra Deep.

Rob.
the ground was very quite,that is why the 7000 ran a treat,will push the issue at rushworth in the next couple of weeks,also to test the5000 against the 7000,at this point we cannot seperate ,the 7000 runs a lot smoother, aircraft overhead that effect the 5000,only a few warbles from the 7000, thats a +.it is nice to know thaqt the 7000 works,its up to us old farts to accept this modern technoligies.....regards bob hillier ,retired equine dentist,farrier, freeze brander,and horse lover.

Redfin, just to clarify. I always Noise Cancel in whatever I intend to be my primary search mode, say General Difficult. Then if I'll be using High Yield I'll do a ground balance for that so I'm good to go when I get a iffy response. Definitely wouldn't bother Noise Cancelling in this instance.
However, when you want to change your primary search mode, i.e. I decide to search in High Yield, then I will go to the trouble of doing another Noise Cancel.

One thing I would like is faster scrolling in the manual Noise Cancel adjustment.

patchfinder said:
Hi Bob, probalbly the problem is that you consider yourself to be an experienced operator, because you didn't even consider that the problem could be on wrong settings or in your part, I am not an experienced operator, even if I am detecting for more than 10 years, my GPZ7000 is my forth detector and works like a treat, I had a training day with Nenad in Victoria, he is a very good teacher and he, very patiently taught me how to operate this perfect machine, now if I find something or not is entirely my fault.
I noticed that the best solution for me was to completely forget what I've learned with other metal detectors and start over with the 7000, because it has nothing in common with previous detector.

Hey "Patchfinder" or "Goldquest"

I still can't understand why you continue to make "Antagonistic" comments without even knowing who you are having a go at, man there is no need to bring that crap here.

I find it odd when folks don't use the same username across the forums the use it get the suspicion levels up, have a think before you comment, it was clearly obvious the guy was frustrated & your comments are just not helpful.

I don't agree that you need to change all you do with the GPZ!! but there are things that MUST be done differently!!!!!!!

Lee

rc62burke said:
I don't agree that you need to change all you do with the GPZ!! but there are things that MUST be done differently!!!!!!!
Spot on Lee - yes there are some operational differences but the gold is still in the same spots & reading ground hasn't changed. That's where Bob's 40 years of detecting experience will come to the fore once he learns the GPZ quirks & opearting differences.

hi all
im having lots of issue's trying to get my zed to run smooth to the point I must have a fault with it ,
I was at Clermont last week and no matter what I tried I could not get it to ground balance properly every swing it would false
to the point after 3 days I drove back to the gold coast (I don't have the ferrite ring yet)
any ideas would be great
thanks bob

Hey Bob,

I think that there was an issue with some of the coils. It may be that? Otherwise someone from here will be able to help you.

Cheers

RS

Thanks Nenad, Just to clarify I am very happy with the GPZ, and we are finding gold, so all is well.

Just so much conflicting info.

JP releases a paper on ground balancing and explains the memory loop in which the GB works, and how the Quick Track button dumps all the info then you have to start again. = https://www.minelab.com/aus/treasure-talk/my-method-for-ground-balancing-the-gpz-7000

But in his video he explains how to do what I do, Noise cancel, then GB in High Yield, then immediately GB in General.
So why isn't it dumping the GB info then ? = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ezuOB1yREQ

Or has it 2 "Loops" of memory, or 3, or 4???

If we ever get a software update I would like another screen with 6 user buttons, to store 6 favorite sets of settings.
If there are numerous "loops" it would be an easy fix and adding another UI page.

Rush said:
bob hillier said:
, .3 grm gold 6 inches,,02 grm-deep signal was a good signal,

Thanks bob for your reply.

Therefore can you confirm the nugget sizes as previously in that other thread you mentioned " ,0.3 of a grm " however above you are now saying ",.3 gram " and then " ,02 gram " ?

Thanks again.
.03 grm,you must be a school teacher,my mistake,we are not all perfect,thank you....bh.have also found a lot of gold over the last fifty years of detecting with all the brands over the years,is this ok with you.....bh.

patchfinder said:
Hi Bob, probalbly the problem is that you consider yourself to be an experienced operator, because you didn't even consider that the problem could be on wrong settings or in your part, I am not an experienced operator, even if I am detecting for more than 10 years, my GPZ7000 is my forth detector and works like a treat, I had a training day with Nenad in Victoria, he is a very good teacher and he, very patiently taught me how to operate this perfect machine, now if I find something or not is entirely my fault.
I noticed that the best solution for me was to completely forget what I've learned with other metal detectors and start over with the 7000, because it has nothing in common with previous detector.
i did consider all the settings,minelab have replaced the 7000,the new machine works a treat,thank you again minelab,they have allways looked after me and my friends.nenad is the best,this machine is very different,groundbreacking,technogily at its best.....bh

PabloP said:
bob hillier said:
Rush said:

Rob.
thanks for the info. mate will take on board

rc62burke said:
patchfinder said:

Hey "Patchfinder" or "Goldquest"

I still can't understand why you continue to make "Antagonistic" comments without even knowing who you are having a go at, man there is no need to bring that crap here.

I find it odd when folks don't use the same username across the forums the use it get the suspicion levels up, have a think before you comment, it was clearly obvious the guy was frustrated & your comments are just not helpful.

Lee
thank you my friend,us old folk do make mistakes on this modern technology,a bit of give and take would be nice,i am too old to argue the point.thank you for your support ...bh

bob hillier said:
Rush said:

.03 grm,you must be a school teacher,my mistake,we are not all perfect,thank you....bh.have also found a lot of gold over the last fifty years of detecting with all the brands over the years,is this ok with you.....bh.

Nah too old and dumb to be a school teacher, and did not mean to get your back up by the sounds of things.
The main reason behind my questioning is I find 6" on a 0.03 gram piece with a 14" coil hard to accept however a 0.30 gram to be more realistic.
Oh well, hope your replacement 7000 lives up to your expectations.

Rush said:
bob hillier said:
Rush said:

Nah too old and dumb to be a school teacher, and did not mean to get your back up by the sounds of things.
The main reason behind my questioning is I find 6" on a 0.03 gram piece with a 14" coil hard to accept however a 0.30 gram to be more realistic.
Oh well, hope your replacement 7000 lives up to your expectations.
the three of us were also surprised that the 7000- would pick up a gold nugget half the size of a matchead .03 grm.at six inches .02 grm at two inches ,this ground was sandy black loam,the 7000 would struggle in minerlised ground at this depth,early days,but at least i know the detector is working a treat, and not operator errorr ,regards bob h.

PhaseTech said:
GPZ 7000 Ground Balance / Start up simplified in 5 steps.

1. Select your Gold Mode and Ground Type. If you're not sure, leave it on the factory settings, High Yield / Difficult

2. Do an Auto Noise Cancel

3. Scan a 5m stretch of ground to make sure there are no targets present

4. Hold in quick track and swing the coil and walk forwards faster than you normally would (keep coil an inch or two above ground)

5. Release quick track button and pump coil like you would any other gold detector

You're good to go!

Repeat the above whenever you change Gold Mode / Ground Type settings, or when starting off in a new spot.

Hope this helps some users.

Nenad

Hi Nenad

I havent heard of this method before , I thought we were not supposed to pump the coil until we had at least 30min's of ground data logged with the machine

I havent got the ring from ML as yet to give the octopus swing balance method a go yet , are you saying that your method should be used with the ring as well ?

Cheers Marty

Latest posts