Wonnangatta Station

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently I was out and about in Victoria's high country, and while hunting Sambar in the Wonnangatta Station area, I noticed Quartz veins exposed in the riverbed. I understand that the area to the southeast is a historical gold mining area, and was wondering if anyone had recently found any gold in the river at Wonnangatta, or, if we are even allowed to go poking around with a pan or detector in that neck of the woods?
It is a beautiful part of the countryside, and certainly more interesting to try and get to than the GT.
And I love the idea of combining hunting, 4wdriving, and prospecting into one trip :)

Nearly all the gold in that area came from the Crooked River which is where the Historical area is these days. The top end up near Grant was by far the best in it's day. We were amongst the first to dredge there over 40 years ago and in my opinion it was the richest river in the whole of the Victorian Alps.

Unfortunately can't do much in there these days as under the "Historical " banner there's quite a few rangers getting through it. Bottom end of the Crooked where it runs into the Wangungarra River is still worth a look and can be quite productive. ;)

Wal

The Crooked and Wangungarra plus a couple of nearby ones are on the exempt list and a no go area, but if you're hunting deer in that country a pan is well worth having in the backpack. Most of the feeder tributaries and creeks in the adjoining ranges hold some surprises and can only be accessed by a lot of footwork. Haven't chased deer in there for many years Stu, are they still relatively abundant.??

Wal.

They are indeed Wal. Do a lot of fishing in that region and further east and the sambar are thick in many areas around there and getting even more numerous.

Yep, there are definitely deer there :) Didn't bag any on that trip, but spooked a few, and there is fresh sign everywhere, even close to the hut at Wonnangatta. Saw a very nice doe walk out in front of the wagon in the mid afternoon, on the track running along the valley near the bottom of Billy Goats Bluff. By the time the rifle was dug out, she had taken off into the scrub. Managed to track it for a while, but lost the trail on hard ground. She was moving bloody quick as far as I could tell, so I doubt I would have been able to track quickly enough to keep up anyway!
Thanks for the tips Wal, I will definitely pack the pan next time :)

Great to see plenty still around Stu. We use to have them very close to our camp at the bottom of the Bulltown Spur below Grant, back in the good old days when the Crooked was open to prospecting. They weren't hunted as much in those days and virtually came within 50 metres of camp.

Chuck a pan for sure into your pack when hunting that region. All the ranges behind the Crooked still have good gold, and very few venture into it unless hunting. Got to be very fit to traverse those ranges, and my fitness level these days sees me more at home on the flat country in WA. :| Be interested how you go up there.

Wal.

Wal, I will definitely be bragging about any gold found out that way next time I go for a stalk :)
Lol, in fact, I should probably trade in my rifle for a camera, because the truth of it all is that I consider it a great trip out if I put my crosshairs over a deer. Don't let the other hunters know, but I get a kick out of tracking the forest ghosts down, and I have really let a lot more run than I have shot. It's not that I am brilliant at hunting, it's more that I am a big softy, and when I see a deer in the bush, I am captivated by it.
Part of me is talking about how good that tastes, but part of me is telling me that a rifle shot would break this perfect scene right now.
:) I might be getting a little deep here, but for some men, it is the hunt. For others, it is the result
Me, I live for the hunt:)

The hunt is what it's all about Stu and the same goes for the Gold. Only with the gold, should it show up in the cross hairs I tend to pick up as much as I can and put it in the backpack for the hike back out. ;)....hint.... If you find gold up in that country in your cross hairs, keep much of it under your belt. ;) ....seen it disappear as quick as a prize Stag. :/

Wal.

Latest posts