Teuna oallen or Windeyer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauly

Paul
Reaction score
Hi all anybody heading out to any of these on the weekend, 11th and 12th?

Yeah I know its mothers day but My mums ages away and my wifes and the girls are showing the mutt. Im thinking of heading out with my mutt to move some rocks around and wash some dirt, if I can get all my chores done.

We'll be at the Forde tomorrow...will be spending the day at the rock bar just downstream of the bridge...Cheers Wal. :)

Sorry guys I mixed up my post so edited it. Im meaning next weekend, the one mothers day is on. This weekend im trying to refine my banker set up.

K Cheers mate, I will probably be heading down either friday or sat.

Hi to all,

I have question for those who regularly go to Oallen and the classification of your material. I hear constantly that Oallen produces very fine gold only. Has anyone pulled out gold that is larger? For example, has anyone pulled out gold larger than 1mm, 2mm etc. What percentage is larger than the fine (flour) gold being processed? What are prospectors doing in terms of classification of material to before processing?
Regards
Jeff

Personally, most of the gold I have gotten from the ford is 30 mesh down, though we have had a few flakes that were a bit bigger they do not seem common. As for classifying we let the highbanker do that, about 1/4" gap in the grizzly.

I'm going to cry 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.(

Looks like everyone's going to be at the Forde this weekend, and I can't make it.
Almost forgot how to use my highbankers.

Going to need a lesson from you Ian next time we catch up. :D :D :D :D :D

Jeff

The ford is a crossing on the shoalhaven river at Oallen. About 1.5 hr drive From Nowra 45 mins? from Braidwood. Clsosest pub is Nerriga.

Jeff glad to hear from you, sorry to hear you have been so busy. Hope to catch up soon.

It looks like ill be going to Teuna. I havent been to Teuna so ill have a look around. Has anybody come down from Newcastle? Google earth says I go down through Goulburn but that dosnt make sense?

Pauly said:
It looks like ill be going to Teuna. I havent been to Teuna so ill have a look around. Has anybody come down from Newcastle? Google earth says I go down through Goulburn but that dosnt make sense?

which way did you end up going?

via bathurst or oberon might be more fun... (saphires at sapphire bend on the oberon route)

what vehicle do you have?

cheers phish

I went to Tuena travelling down the Putty road and then across to Bathurst. I think it works out similar time either way. Would rather not have to travel through Sydney with all the traffic, cameras and tolls.

I think I need to use a code word for Tuena.. Seems everytime I try to get there something happens. Wifes car decided to play up so now I cant really risk leaving her with a car that wont start for her, always starts for me so go figure. Oh well didnt get there so ill try again soon. Phish I have a Landcruiser 100 series for camping and touring.

Hi all, We have a pajero, has been great for getting us where we want to go. Wish we could get away....have forgotten what my highbanker looks like....as well as the 5000...!! Hows the study going Ian? cheers geoff n Grace

My first expereience at the mighty Tuena.
I got to Tuena for the first time last weekend after reading all about it here on this sight and also watching some of Wal's exploits on YouTube. Our stay was brief, only about 40 minutes on the creek, where the ford crossing is below the camp ground. Why only 40 minutes? We were on our way back late Sunday afternoon from Jenolan Caves where we spent our 6th year anniversary as a couple and I decided to cut-across-country to see and test the mighty Tuena before heading back to Canberra. My partner, Theresia, had never been out panning with me before so I was keen to impress with my recently acquired prospecting skills. When we arrived some prospectors were packing up at the creeks edge. They had been working a tree very close to the ford slightly up stream. We walked past up the creek to the first bend only, sampling here and there.... everywhere without any luck. Not a bloody spec to be found! I was getting the impression Theresia was starting to think that all the gold I had brought home over the previous months was like the returned fisherman, with the fish still wrapped in newspaper, if you understand my meaning. The pressure was on, I am not making a good account of myself here. I rooted around here and there, tree roots, previously dug holes where others had been, embankments... nothing! Dejected and defeated we walked up toward the ford past were the previous prospectors had recently finished up, there tailings still wet in the small water channel that ran down from the tree roots to the creek. "Mmm, I wonder?" I stopped and noticed along this small channel there was a small ledge-drop off. With my little shovel I scooped up some dirt at the bottom of the ledge, then down to the water's edge and started panning. Woooohoooo, three specs of gold! I was over the moon. Thank you to the previous prospectors working this spot, you saved my reputation and relationship by leaving some gold for the next man... ;). Then my prospecting world collapsed all around me when Theresia announced that she does not like gold but prefers white gold. "Mmm, where do I find white gold?.... maybe this is not the girl I should be marrying".
JML

Latest posts