Testing a used GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was going to get an SDC however I haven't found in my price range as yet. I did see a GPX 4500 for sale at a very good price. The ad says its all good and ready to go. I was just wondering how do you test a used metal detector? I did a bit of search here and couldn't really find anything related, did a you tube search and found a video from the Miners Den and the fellow went through testing a 5000. Basically all he did was factory reset and do a couple of ground balances, is this all that's required?

Remember also if you are testing in a built up area, you will not be able to hear a steady threshold due to EMI interference from electricity supply lines. You need to get well away from electricity poles, telephone towers etc. You are testing to hear a very stable threshold sound.
Check the physical condition of everything especially coils.
Also take some small test metal objects eg 0.1 or 0.2 g sized lead shot if you have no gold. Make sure you can get a decent signal from those.
Look for a clean detector. A clean condition is a sign that a proud owner has looked after his or her gear.

Remember also if you are testing in a built up area, you will not be able to hear a steady threshold due to EMI interference from electricity supply lines. You need to get well away from electricity poles, telephone towers etc. You are testing to hear a very stable threshold sound.
Check the physical condition of everything especially coils.
Also take some small test metal objects eg 0.1 or 0.2 g sized lead shot if you have no gold. Make sure you can get a decent signal from those.
Look for a clean detector. A clean condition is a sign that a proud owner has looked after his or her gear.
Awesome thanks heaps for those tips

Latest posts