Surf PI 1.2 from silver dog build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have ordered a Surf PI 1.2 kit from silver dog. I'm hoping it will arrive in the next week or so. I'm thinking of putting together an 8" and an 14" coil. I'm keen to do a bit of gold detecting.

Has anyone out there used one for gold? Have you had any success? Any thoughts on coil choice?

I've been reading a lot of info on the kits and on coil construction, it's amazing what info there is out there. I'm a bit like a kid waiting for Christmas, can't wait to get all the bits I've ordered.

I'm a new member so I will post pics when I've reached enough posts.

Cheers

Scott B

I am still waiting for my coil housing that I bought on eBay to arrive and the surf PI kit to come in the post. So I will start on the coils in the mean time. I hope they will fit in the housing when it gets here.

my 14" coil will be made of 22 AWG Teflon coated wire with 17 turns giving me a theoretical inductance of 331 uHenries according to a coil calculator that I found on the Geotech forum. I am going to wind it first with a layer of Teflon spy wrap and then shield it with 3M 24 shielded tape finnished with another layer of spy wrap for protection. Once again photos to come very soon.

I have chosen 22 AWG wire because it was easily available to me, 26AWG would of been my preference.

Any members out there with any thoughts on my choices don't hesitate to comment or criticize.

My 8" coil will also be constructed the same as the 14" mentioned above.

23 turns of 22AWG wire with a theoretical inductance of 301uHenries.

I am aiming for a coil value of 1.2 ohms resistance and as close to 300uH inductance. I have read that the surf PI 1.2 is better suited to a fast coil with the above figures for finding gold. Time will tell

Sounds like fun! I haven't the time at the moment as soon as I get a spare 1hr I go detecting, but a PI & coil build is in the works.

Yeah Rod I have been in contact with the designer/builder of the 3d printed detector. It will be a commercial venture so no files for us. He is using a Polish PI kit similar to the Surf PI.

bazza2210 said:
kleinman98 said:
I just ordered a surf pi kit to compliment my beach hunting.

I have a surf PI kit half constructed (havent started the coil as yet) - I would be interested how you tackle the housing/shaft/coil construction.

3D printing perhaps?

rgds

Barry
Have a look on ebay for empty coil housings. There are a few different sizes and designs available. Should be able to find shafts around.
Garrett sell bottom non metallic shafts at reasonable price and you could use straight alloy tube for the top end. Or find or bend an "S" tube. Check the detector shops for spares

Hello guys, just a quick info insertion for you, every coil built will be different, so the damping resistor for each coil will also need to be different. Make a non-shorting variable resistor and tune it with a scope. best of luck. Kenny (UK)

Well! Finally got an SMPro PI detector up and running and went to the beach for a test swing.

It is as sensitive and any other PI on the beach however it is quiet and I mean really quiet. I thought the battery was flat or I accidently bumped the on/off switch or something because I got not a peep out of it in wet sand or dry. No transition noises at all.

Until I hit a target!

It surprised me so much when I came across a target that it startled me. The reason I was startled was because I was used to the HeHaw sound of the ATX that sort of kept you company as you detected on the beach.

I am not going to take the ATX to the beach anymore. There is another detector in town and its called "mine"!
Oh and it weighs in at 1.5kgs complete.

An update on my SMPRO build. Finally completed and tested just waiting for a stencil kit for the pot labels.
The machine runs sweet all over the beach. Just one more SMPRO to build then I will start on 2 MINIPULSE machines.
I will bring the SMPRO with me to Tuena so you guys can check it out.
Photos to come.

Here are a couple photos of my SMPro detector. Already scored yesterday with $6 in coin and a sweet ring. Just need to fit knobs and do the artwork and alls good.
1434000110_image.jpg
1434000127_image.jpg
1434000147_image.jpg

So this saturday, I will be testing the new detector on wollongong beach, near Win stadium, to see if I can detect more goodies.
I will bring the detector to the Tuena meet as well for show and tell. :D

GaryO said:
Nice job . Must be a good feeling finding something with a machine you built yourself. What did it set u back price wise ?
Havent really worked out cost yet because of changes as I built it but as a guess around $500 plus labour. Price went up due to the koss headphones.

The Surf PI is a good all round beach machine. I have had a good look at the circuit a while ago and it certainly looks like it will perform ok.

I built a MiniPulse Plus quite a while ago and its not too bad a machine. I ended up modding it with a UNO chipkit, adding Ground balance, display and different timings.
I had quite good depth for a home built machine.

SteelPat said:
The Surf PI is a good all round beach machine. I have had a good look at the circuit a while ago and it certainly looks like it will perform ok.

I built a MiniPulse Plus quite a while ago and its not too bad a machine. I ended up modding it with a UNO chipkit, adding Ground balance, display and different timings.
I had quite good depth for a home built machine.
Did you document the changes you made to the minipulse? I have two to build for the WA trip next year. I'd appreciate it if you could share.

Latest posts