South Australian prospectors (or should I say fossickers?)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you Petamarie? Unless your on the wrong side of Adelaide the western Vic goldfields are only a couple hours drive away

Cheers,

New to the forum and in Adelaide if someone wants to catch up some time. I spend a bit of time detecting for coins and down the beach, but not much time looking for gold. Happy to get into it big time though if you interested in getting together. I do enjoy panning as well.

parsec said:
New to the forum and in Adelaide if someone wants to catch up some time. I spend a bit of time detecting for coins and down the beach, but not much time looking for gold. Happy to get into it big time though if you interested in getting together. I do enjoy panning as well.
Hey Parsec, feel free to organise a group meeting or just check out the Member meet ups thread.
More people will see it there and welcome to the forums! :)

Going to mount Crawford on the Tuesday the 12 august if anyone's interested, we'll be there from 8a.m.

Hey Paul, I might be able to make it, depends on the work situation. I'm keen to try some different areas there. I got a bit of colour the last two times, but not enough to want to try that same part of the creek again.

I bit the bullet today and spent about 6 hrs at Mt Crawford. All day I felt I was in the wrong place. There was lots of quartz [not mice eaten] but hardly any slate, and the ground didn't look like it was mineralized - in fact where I spent some of my time it was heavy clay as a thick top soil. Who knows how deep it was. As I said I just felt I was in the wrong place and needless to say I didn't find any of the magic stuff. Lots of junk proceeds of the forestry industry but no gold. I will do much more in-depth investigation before I go back.

petamarie said:
Hi guys as I've had no luck,finding anything looking through other forums and posts this is the only one I have so far come across where there are sa people :} I'm only new to this and not looking,at finding anything,big or even,gold haha but just anything pretty, exciting and different for myself and the kids to fossick dig for etc... :},I'm 4 hours from Adelaide :} not much around the area. :}

Petamarie, I'm a bit like you. Nowhere near any goldfields but I fossick around old churches, pubs, ovals, schools, anywhere that people have gathered in years gone by. You might have a place like an old park where band concerts were held, or a place where trainers trained trotters, an old oval where sport was played etc etc. Churches are great because when funerals occurred, people pull hankerchiefs from their pockets and ultimately coins came too. {Same with old cemetries} Keep looking, there's lots of places where people drop their hard earned.

Im heading to Mt Crawford tomorrow for the weekend. Can't wait be cold but thats what a camp fire is for. 2 1/2 days panning sluicing and out with the detector. :D

For me, I find everything in the weirdest places. The best finds have been near the river, or creeks.

I haven't found much at all.....still looking just need to find the correct places at Crawford.....

Hey StirFX, what do you mean "the flats" if you dont mind me asking?
When I say that I am talking about the Barossa ranges or foothills on the riverland side.

Hi to all of you, I am Barossa based and have found only flour gold also in creeks and streams around Barossa, cromer and crawford. Get this though, I took a mate from work to a spot I go regularly for flour gold, He pulled a match head nugget out in his first 3 scoops. Man I was Pi%$ed, but happy for him at the same time.
We got onto a corner where there were about 50 specs in a few buckets full. Best day so far! but only been doing this for about 12 months.
I bought a pan as I thought I could take my 6 Y/o out for a bit of father son bonding, now we are hooked. Gowld feva as Jeff Williams would say, so comon.

gday paul_mac, wouldn't mind seeing this bunnings highbanker of yours.
And have you had much use/luck with it?