Some questions about different detectors from a newbie!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My name's Mike and I'm pretty keen to get into metal detecting really soon. I'm been spending the past few weeks researching like mad before I buy a detector and can't wait to get started. I'm lucky enough to live in Bendigo so I thought I'd have to be silly to not give prospecting a go in the Golden Triangle!

I'm primarily going to be prospecting out in the bush for gold, but I do want to do a bit of coin/treasure hunting on the beaches/historic areas as well. I'm not going into this with the intent of "getting rich" but I would definitely sell what gold I find, and would either sell any valuable treasure I dig up or build myself up a nice little collection.

I do have some questions to ask if you have a moment to answer:

Even though I want to get started right away, I also want to take my time and save up to buy a "better than el-cheapo" metal detector. I've read through the pros and cons of VLF/PI etc and I've settled on wanting a PI detector. From my research, the PI's go deeper, find larger targets and aren't as affected by mineralised ground. My thinking is I'm happy to potentially miss out on the under 0.2/0.3 g nuggets of gold in favour of finding larger gold deeper.

I have my eye on two models - The Whites TDI and the Garrett Infinium LS, both PI's. From what I've read, they're pretty evenly stacked against each other, each with slight pros and cons. For me, I'd probably want to spend around the $1000 mark, maybe a bit more if need be and find one of these second hand. I like the look of the Garrett because it's waterproof, not that I'll be diving with it but would be good to dip the coil into creeks/streams. Can you do this with the Whites or is it not waterproof at all, even over the coil?

What are your thoughts on these two detectors? I saw an Infinium go for over $1000 on eBay the other day in mint condition second hand, got me a bit excited! I'm not too concerned, at least not at the start about 100% accurate discrimination. I'm happy to "dig everything" but as I get more experienced I suppose I'd want to discrim out iron when I learn how to do it properly.

Cheers.

Hi mate, firstly I suggest as a newbie that you google both detectors and see how much gold they have found / find in the minerlised ground in the triangle.
You have a garret dealer in Bendigo, and the Whites dealer down the road in Dunolly.
Go ask some questions, rent one for the day and have a play.
Have a look at the Bendigo Detecting club on stalkerbook, they meet regularly.
And remember that other mob runs free demo days in Bendigo as well.
There was one today

1426915449_capture.jpg

Thanks for the info Redfin, will check out their next demo day for sure.

Will have to do some more research about if those detectors have found gold locally, unless you guys can let me know your experiences?

Do you or anyone else have experience with these detectors that you could share?

xxplosiv said:
Thanks for the info Redfin, will check out their next demo day for sure.

Will have to do some more research about if those detectors have found gold locally, unless you guys can let me know your experiences?

Do you or anyone else have experience with these detectors that you could share?

Hi mate, best you do your own research, you will soon see a pattern emerge.

Thanks for the links Magilla, have had a look at them all, very informative.

I'm definitely leaning more towards the Whites TDI Pro Oz series now, will have to save up a bit more I think. I think I'm going to need to get me an Aldi detector just to tide me by until I can afford it!

Have run both the TDI and the Infinium side by side on various fields including the hot grounds in the Kimberlys. I'll put a case of beer on the TDI any day, and once you know how to correctly set it up you won't get better value for your money. I've seen them around on the 2nd market for not much over the Grand, and they punch way above their class if you take the time to familiarize yourself with one.

Last year over in WA Liz...who is no wizz with a detector let me tell you, ;) pulled on average a nugget for every hour she detected, and mopped up over 30 nuggets for a weeks work. There's always the options of the earlier Minelabs....but I won't comment on those seeing you're asking about the Infinium / TDI opinions. The TDI also comes with a coil you can submerse in water.

Best of luck with it and remember it's not just the machine when it comes to consistent gold....where you swing it is of greater importance.

Wal.

Hi Wal, thanks for the info. By all means go ahead and let me know more about the earlier Minelabs. I really would love one but from what I've seen anything Minelab seems to be massively expensive. The TDI and the Infinium like you say seem to punch above their weight as they're PI's for a great price, but I'm happy to consider anything else.

Basically, as a beginner I want to get a model that's got great performance and doesn't cost the world. I would prefer to spend around $1000 as this is a goal I can achieve fairly soon, but if you really think I should save up more, I can do this and will just have to wait a bit longer to "get swinging". Whenever I start out at new hobbies I like to buy proper gear, stuff that'll last and not need upgrading as I get better at it.

PS: Love your vids Wal, awesome to watch when you're learning all about prospecting. Liz is a hoot too, love the enthusiasm! Would be great to have a beer with you two one day if you're ever around the triangle, cheers.

xxplosiv said:
Hi Wal, thanks for the info. By all means go ahead and let me know more about the earlier Minelabs. I really would love one but from what I've seen anything Minelab seems to be massively expensive. The TDI and the Infinium like you say seem to punch above their weight as they're PI's for a great price, but I'm happy to consider anything else.

Basically, as a beginner I want to get a model that's got great performance and doesn't cost the world. I would prefer to spend around $1000 as this is a goal I can achieve fairly soon, but if you really think I should save up more, I can do this and will just have to wait a bit longer to "get swinging". Whenever I start out at new hobbies I like to buy proper gear, stuff that'll last and not need upgrading as I get better at it.

PS: Love your vids Wal, awesome to watch when you're learning all about prospecting. Liz is a hoot too, love the enthusiasm! Would be great to have a beer with you two one day if you're ever around the triangle, cheers.

If I was in your boots I'd be looking at a TDI as a starter machine in favor of a pre minelab3500. The machine will serve you well in the apprenticeship period where knowledge of ground type and favorable nugget locations needs to be mastered. This will also give you a chance to see if detecting is really your cup of tea, as many who attempt it, prematurely give up the hunt if they don't find many nuggets. Should this be the case you haven't wasted money as the TDI will hold it's value a lot more than an Infinium.

If after a period you get hooked on the hobby and want to progress to the next level, I would leave all the earlier minelabs alone and invest in a 4500 or 5000 sometime down the track, when finances are more favorable. Value for money the 4500 is far better than the 5000 and in my opinion just as good a machine as the 5000. The TDI will then become your back up machine, or a machine you can lend a mate or partner who may be interested in joining you out there in the paddock.

Best of luck,

Wal.

OK, I'll set my sights on a TDI, cheers Wal.

My last couple of questions for you great sages of the swing:

1. As a newb, should I really be too fussy about (paying more) and getting the TDI Pro Oz Series over the vanilla TDI?
2. What are the best sites/places to keep an eye on for second hand detectors? I currently use eBay, Gumtree and the Offered section on the forum here.

Hey guys, I have been enjoying these posts. I am only new to prospecting and have started panning around the diamond creek area but looking to head to the golden triangle with a detector. I would only want something in the 200-500 bracket. Us there anything worth looking at in this range or do I need to spend more. Thanks, Cam 8)

xxplosiv said:
OK, I'll set my sights on a TDI, cheers Wal.

My last couple of questions for you great sages of the swing:

1. As a newb, should I really be too fussy about (paying more) and getting the TDI Pro Oz Series over the vanilla TDI?
2. What are the best sites/places to keep an eye on for second hand detectors? I currently use eBay, Gumtree and the Offered section on the forum here.

I'd go the TDI Pro Oz....check out the other forums out there and make some inquiries with the bigger dealers on their trade in units....maybe start with Gold Search Australia in Dunolly, and have a chat with them.

Blewgold said:
Hey guys, I have been enjoying these posts. I am only new to prospecting and have started panning around the diamond creek area but looking to head to the golden triangle with a detector. I would only want something in the 200-500 bracket. Us there anything worth looking at in this range or do I need to spend more. Thanks, Cam 8)

i'm sure a $500 detector will find gold but you may well get sick of it before you do , it is way harder to find gold now unless you happen across a virgin patch

perhaps you should consider prospecting for coins etc in public swimming areas , I think you would do better than looking for gold with a cheap detector

Thanks Ronk and metamorphic. I think I am going to save up and get something worthwhile. In the mean time I'll have to hire one. Time to get researching into what I will get when I save some coin.. Hopefully before then I can fund it with gold that I have panned!

Oooh that Whites SPP looks promising, anyone had a swing with it here? Or is it not worth cheaping out compared to the TDI?

Xxplosiv.. Let me know how you go when you get your first detector. Ie which one you go for and if you are happy. Good luck!

Hi xxplosiv, if you go to the metal detector section on the forum and under the Whites section you'll find plenty on the SPP as well as the TDI, when in doubt just do a search of the forum by clicking on the search tab located on the right side of the top left tabs on the main page.

Latest posts