Snake Aversion training for Dogs??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Just been offered access to a private property to do some prospecting.

It seems to have all the boxes ticked, in an area where alluvial gold has been found in the past. Owner says there are some old shafts in the hills and says there is a lot of quartz about, Trove has some stuff on the area and a couple of old mines in the area on minview.

He is a father of one of my daughters friends from school and reckons it would be great if the girls could catch up in the holidays at the farm.
Happy to let me camp anytime and seeing as he knows us and knows our dog he is happy to let me bring the old mate.

However, the area on his property where the creek runs is in the wooded foothills right at the back of his property and he reckons it is the snakiest part of his ground. All the usual suspects, tiger, brown, RBB and Copperheads.

I dont usually take my dog out prospecting but if we head down there for a few days it would be nice to have him along.

So to get to the point, does anyone have any experience with snake aversion training for dogs, who provides it, is it effective etc.

Many thanks Pogo

I like the offer you've had put to your family :goldnugget: :trophy: but if you're dog is old I wouldn't think of taking him/her. As for snake aversion training for pet's it's just about money and nothing else in my opinion. A dog, horse, cat, bird and even snake for that matter will do as they please once in an open space. Yes pets and animals can be trained and very successfully at that but if you are focused on detecting and or panning rather than your dog it will turn out as fait sees it should no amount of training will change it.

I don't camp or holiday for that matter with dogs these days but as a young bloke Ballzy was by my side no matter where I was going. Lived a good life and died from old age thankfully, he ran amongst snakes pretty much every day without a problem.

Depends a lot on what sort of dog it is ? I imagine a Jack Russell would have a go but a labrador wouldn't touch it unless off course it looked like food. A retriever might bring one back and drop it in your lap or sleeping bag :argh: most dogs I knew though showed little interest in snakes.

Miss Elvis would chase bungarras all day but would never have a go at a snake. She instinctively knew they were a no-go. She had a distinctive snake growl and would hunch down circling it at a distance.

In the end a snake got her, but only because she was protecting me. The snake was about 4 feet away and heading towards me, I was working under the ute with just my legs hanging out.

Some dogs dont need teaching, they just know.

Latest posts