Setup Time

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fella's..I notice that a lot of you test pan a creek in quite a few spots to find a good place for your highbanker,then you have to go and get it,set it up,use it,pack it up and cart it out...Do any of you leave them setup over night if they are a fair way from camp to use the next day??? I am just curious how much time this takes out of your day especially if you have to drive a distance to get to your spot and are only there for the day....

Cheers...Sparra

I don't generally bother setting the highbanker up unless I can leave it there for a few days. If I was only doing a day trip it would be pan only. Most of my best spots I only use a pan anyway, if your not getting good amounts of color in the pan it's a waste of time setting up a highbanker.

DD

Have to be pretty remote for mine. Most places i go its get in get out, and iIm not a fan of letting everyone know where I'm digging, kind of defeats the purpose of the recon if someone else comes and washes a spot I've picked out. But maybe I'm not understanding the question.

The spot I'm working is one way in one way out through private property the only other way to get there is by kayak . I have never seen another sole down there.
It takes me less than an hour to drive there from my accommodation and set up.
If I'm there for 2 or 3 days I leave it all set up and have never had an issue.

Myself and my boys came back from Tuena a few weeks back. We test panned for the morning session, had lunch then setup the high banker once we found a location that produced at least 5 specks a pan. We are only relatively new to the game and Tuena so we are still learning to read where the concentrated gold is likely to be in the stream, creek, river.

I left the Walbanker, hoses, shovels, buckets on the Tuena Creek but carried my Honda WX15 pump back to the car, I cant afford to lose that! We figured we were a fair way from direct public access and no one should visit the creek between 5pm when we left and 9am the next morning.

Panning is quite tough on the hands, back and knees. We setup the Walbanker ASAP to process material by volume rather than quality due to our lack of experience. I learn something new each time we go out.

Apart from that we love using the Walbanker, there's something about the anticipation of the cleanout. How much gold did we get? Did we get any larger chunks? Are we digging a good spot?

I would not setup for 1 speck a pan and would continue to test pan locations till we got better results. Having said that at Nundle on the Peel, we setup for an afternoon session to try and beat the lack of gold by volume, did not get much, less than 1/4 gram but more than panning and a bit easier on the body.

Rarely closer than 2ks from public access and always leave the banker over night for logistical purposes. Never leave it set up at the spot I dig, instead hide it well away from the stream (unless on private property). Take my carry pack with me as without it, it would be very difficult to get the unit out. Usually work till late, and mostly back to it just after sunrise. Never had a problem in the years we've spent on the streams.

Wal.

On my recent trip I left it overnight. Definitely saves time for more digging and energy from carrying all that gear around.
But it all depends on the location. I wouldnt leave it in an area thats busy or in plain sight.
A few blokes that I spoke to have been leaving their gear on their spot for days on end and never had any trouble.

Latest posts