School hours scout

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDH

Reaction score
Well today I decided id drop the ruggies off and go have a bit of a poke round for future reference. So first stop kinder, then school and hightailed it north. I wanted to investigate a little spot i stopped in on quickly last week that showed 3 specs in my first pan but then not much more before i kept going. Ok so i done a bit of a hike and found a couple good looking spots pulled out the shovel and started digging into a few likely looking crevices near some old floodways off the main creek, well about 20 pans later id seen only a couple specs from up higher and in the actual creek near so looking to give up on that area and hike up a bit further i headed back to grab the rest of my gear. just prior to leaving i thought id check out how the creek looked beyond the blackberries near my bag,impassable so i offed my pants and walked down through the creek, found a couple boulders just on the waters edge and had a dig behind them.... Bam, 10 specs i the first pan! Hoping it wasnt just a fluke, i loaded up the sieve again from the same spot and 9 specs at the end of it.
1392101521_444_008-1.jpg
1392101607_444_019-1.jpg

With time short i only managed about 6 or 7 pans out of there but the result looks promising for a return trip
1392101735_444_031-1.jpg

I think i found a boot tack too,along with quite a few bird shot. Though i have a question out of this, whats the best way to deal with breaking up that grey sticky clay? I was just using the gravel in the sieve to help things along but my sieve was about 1/3 clay so it was taking the best part of 10min to finally break it all down.

P.S.. I was back at school by 3.20pm.... so not bad for an amateur with a shovel and a pan in about 2 hours.

That's some good chunky gold. Persevere breaking down the clay in the seive or a smaller size seive or get a highbanker that will help break up the clay in the hopper wish I had your problem

I didn't want to leave but I did slip in an etrra pan after I said to myself 1 last pan full... Then I had to power walk back to the car to make up time.

Latest posts