Re: Chinese Silver Sycee

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this piece on Ebay a while back and was wondering if anyone knew where and what time its from and its value over its weight of silver? weighs 90g.
1412572239_dsc00534.jpg

1412572338_dsc00532.jpg

1412572372_dsc00535.jpg

not sure the value of silver is heading down best to get a refinery to use xray machine to tell you purity and current market value a few places offer this service in Sydney not sure where you are located 1 kg of silver is around 690 700 bucks now but going down with the price of gold :)

Thanks Richo! I'm not so worried bout the silver content as to its historical (if any) value. beeing that Sycees don't come round that often and are quite expensive items on ebay!

good item to hand down in the family I like the round 50 cent coins from 1966 I got 3 from my dad and I have 30 each for my kids hope they continue the tradition love the item mate good buy history is underappreciated in my view :)

Will give you some intel on this Chinese coin as I found a few in Japan on a beach a few years back & they are valuable as my coin auction catalog has em Listed I think ?.

Dates to 1800's 'ish

Will get back to you after I return from the park go find that auction catalog for ya : )

Cheers.

Lucas

The coin Auction catalog I have with me I thought had these obscure coins in does not might be in one of my older catalogs in storage?.
I recall prices of Yen 350,000 - Yen 450,000 were the auction start prices for bidding for Genuine coins like this.

Beware chinese coins on ebay as I and other auction members in Japan have seen Chinese fakes of just about every valuable coin on the planet in circulation here as well as chinese fakes of all the famous Brand name antiques & Meteorites fossils etc.

If you paid a couple of hundred for it its probably fake check the seller and See if they have more of the same listed & get Reputable Dealers opinion before you buy.

The Writing on the Verso of this supposed silver slug appears to be a fake Japanese script & This will give Away Fake Japanese coins & antiques made by chinese & these are in World Wide circulation even chinese made Fake gold nuggets, that aint gold so beware.
Fake gold coins that are Heavily plated gold & aged patina.

We See Tons of this stuff in circulation in Japan & lots of it arrives here 1st before its exported to europe America australia etc & sold in flea markets & off the WEB in these countries.

Another aspect to remember about almost all Asian coins is that fakes were produced Hundreds of years ago also, some fakes were produced more than a thousand years ago of coins minted in 750 values rang from $25k upwards, so beware the cheap ones for sale around the WEB ~!" .

Latest posts