Please respect the owners

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a newbie. Only been out a total of about 6 days in the 2 times I have been over to the triangle. I bought my miners rights online, and it is said on the site to fill in holes and tells you where you can prospect and where you can't and private property is specified as with permission from the land owner. On coils I see fill in your holes. It's everywhere so I don't think there can be any doubt about if it's the wrong thing or ignorance. There a tourists both foreign and Aussies who might not know and may not even have miners rights, but in all likelihood it's somebody doing the wrong thing knowingly I bet.

Seen a huge unfilled hole in state forest today, and no it was not dug by an old timer? I am seeing more and more damage every time out?
The best way to stop this might be that any breach of Miners Right will result in a permanent ban and all your equipment and gold confiscated and sold and the money donated to environmental rehabilitation programs.

If this kind of behaviour keeps up we prospectors will have No Access to private land, ( fair enough with all the trespassing and unfilled holes going on ), and we will be completely locked out of all public land.

I spend part of my limited prospecting time filling in the holes left by others and removing dumped trash and i know a good number of fellow forum members do the same! ;)

Lets hope those crappy US prospecting shows go off line, gold price crashes to $50 an ounce and the useless bogans go back to their old hobbies and interests.
A mate was telling me Bendigo council is considering installing parking meters in the whipstick and the parking rate will be $80 an hour, they figured if prospectors can afford $10,700 detectors and trash the place they should be able to afford such a high charge.

I'm right behind alot of what is said. The sad part is alot of fence jumpers and worse offenders aren't always who you picture. Sure the Bogans are out there, but I can tell you in the last few years the the hot lead above the head are middle age types with half decent entry 4 4wd and front like Myers and not under kitted by any means. The rubbish award goes to the bogans who'd rather drink stubble and set up in swags and tents.

Just mine and others observations not necessarily representative of the nation I'm sure.

I'm only a newbie to detecting, but I've noticed that most of the holes not filled in are the DEEP holes. Where i'm detecting (state forests) these unfilled deeper holes were there before the 7000 hit the scene, and there's a lot of them. I doubt these deep holes are all getting dug by the one off, unaware of the 'rules' detectorists! The shallow unfilled holes i generally fill in (not hard to do) as i walk about, but i reckon i could spend my whole day filling in the serious holes and never get any detecting done. It's a blight on what is such and enjoyable pastime, a bad few are going to ruin it for all. This sort of behavior is just the ammunition the 'lock it and leave it brigade' need to get the forest closed.
Perhaps PA could consider introducing some sort of 'introductory licence' that members could leave with their name and car licence number etc when approaching landholders?

Goldtarget

I can relate to this problem, I was up north and was truly amazed at the total disregard for the landholders, if any of you ever get the opportunity to detect in the Palmer area, check out the amount of holes dug by detector operators which aren't filled in...there are thousands and I would estimate that would be an understatement.
Don't get me started when it comes to personal hygiene!!! there was this camp of so called prospectors at Dogleg crossing and their form of personal hygiene was to cover their excreta with the paper they wiped their butts with and left out in the open for all and sundry to see and smell, along with disposable nappies left around the base of trees without any such thing as a shovel of dirt on top.
The bottles and tins left in fire places leave a lot to behold..aaaaagh..thinking about it gets me mad and that's not a pretty sight or good!!
Another one I am a bit agro about is the unnecessary shooting of the cattle in the Palmer area, true some of you might say so what! they are cleanskins!! that attitude sucks and it's no wonder the landholders get anti detectors and piggers etc ..I'm from the old school and I was brought up with my old dad saying that if you can't eat it don't shoot it...cheers

BJ

Goldtarget said:
I'm right behind alot of what is said. The sad part is alot of fence jumpers and worse offenders aren't always who you picture. Sure the Bogans are out there, but I can tell you in the last few years the the hot lead above the head are middle age types with half decent entry 4 4wd and front like Myers and not under kitted by any means. The rubbish award goes to the bogans who'd rather drink stubble and set up in swags and tents.

Just mine and others observations not necessarily representative of the nation I'm sure.

I agree mate.

It doesnt matter if you drive a $250,000 Porsche Cayenne or a busted ass HQ Kingswood wagon.....If you waddle like a duck, have webbed feet and quack like a duck, you are a duck.

Same for type of detector, blame a 7000 owner if you will, but i can tell you that ducks still swing an Aldi detector and leave open holes too boot!

Funny how us modern day gold hunters seem to always cop the blame for the lands destruction whether we do the right thing or not......leaving open holes anywhere is just NOT ON, but its nothing in terms of how the 'old timers' destroyed the place back in their day.

Nothing else compares to the damage they did, its obvious to anyone who travels the GT, but somehow, this is seems to be accepted and no one says booo!
I guess maybe because there is no one left alive to blame.

We cant change the past, but we can control the future!

Love the bush lads, private or state, and treat it as you would your own backyard.

;)

We can't blame the GPZ owners because there's plenty of open holes from before this detector arrived. We were wandering around the state forest today and the open holes are all over the place. They also left the rubbish they dug out but I guess that's better than burying it for me to redig.

I climbed to the top of Table Top mountain in Toowoomba the other day. The place is nearly spotless but on the way back I noticed about a half a dozen fresh water bottles dumped by the side of the track. They were not there on the way up and the group who dropped them must have noticed that they were dropping the only rubbish in the area.

You just can't fix some people and many of them are imports from countries where this sort of behavior is the norm.

Lambs73 said:
Brumble-Gum said:
Hey LAB

It only takes one to ruin it for all of us.
I hope the property owner gave you the name of this idiot.
Just because you can dig a big hole doesn't mean you can't fill in a big hole.
GPZ owners take note!

Next we will be blamed for digging to India.

Without clear evidence and just speculation you can't blame Zed users for leaving holes not filled. It's unfortunate that the claim that is made in this original post, may be true. But fact is its the person not the detector that leaves holes not filled. It could be any detector.n

How do you know it's not just an inexperienced prospector digging unnecesarily large holes trying to find the target.

I personally fill my holes in and I'm a GPZ user. But thanks for the advice, I will take it on board. Perhaps those that don't have a GPZ are just jealous of those that have them.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1110/1430016774_image.jpg

The evidence is clear not speculation the owner has told me for a fact who has done it and has just blanket banned everyone, as for jealousy that does not come into it, i am quiet happy with my 5k as it has paid for itself in gold and enjoyment and if I want a 7k I will buy one, this is my hobby that I enjoy in my spare time and for someone to destroy my access really upsets me as I have know the owner of the said property for quiet some time.
I did not start this thread as a 7k bashing, it just happened to be a 7k used in this offence, the reason I started this thread was to try and make fellow dectectorists aware of what is going on around the traps and maybe educate a few on the do's and don'ts that come with the game.
lab

lost a bit said:
Lambs73 said:
Brumble-Gum said:
Hey LAB

It only takes one to ruin it for all of us.
I hope the property owner gave you the name of this idiot.
Just because you can dig a big hole doesn't mean you can't fill in a big hole.
GPZ owners take note!

Next we will be blamed for digging to India.

Without clear evidence and just speculation you can't blame Zed users for leaving holes not filled. It's unfortunate that the claim that is made in this original post, may be true. But fact is its the person not the detector that leaves holes not filled. It could be any detector.n

How do you know it's not just an inexperienced prospector digging unnecesarily large holes trying to find the target.

I personally fill my holes in and I'm a GPZ user. But thanks for the advice, I will take it on board. Perhaps those that don't have a GPZ are just jealous of those that have them.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1110/1430016774_image.jpg

The evidence is clear not speculation the owner has told me for a fact who has done it and has just blanket banned everyone, as for jealousy that does not come into it, i am quiet happy with my 5k as it has paid for itself in gold and enjoyment and if I want a 7k I will buy one, this is my hobby that I enjoy in my spare time and for someone to destroy my access really upsets me as I have know the owner of the said property for quiet some time.
I did not start this thread as a 7k bashing, it just happened to be a 7k used in this offence, the reason I started this thread was to try and make fellow dectectorists aware of what is going on around the traps and maybe educate a few on the do's and don'ts that come with the game.
lab

Hi LAB,

Don't get me wrong mate, I do understand your frustration however my comment or reply wasn't directed at you (as highlighted) when I replied to Brumble Gum. He clearly stipulated and I quote 'GPZ owners take note'
It doesn't get much clearer than that.
Hence why I made the remark 'next GPZ users will be blamed for digging to India' which might I add is as far fetched and not plausible as Brumble Gum saying GPZ owners take note.

Again LAB, I was not having a dig at you mate and I understand your frustration but I will defend myself against being placed in that minority by remarks made such as GPZ owners take note

Considering I am a GPZ owner.

Regards

It is not just those chasing Gold; the beaches and parks are also copping a hiding...

And yes, I have lost a few places where I have had permission due to NightHawkers and other that have little if an respect for the land owner... And it is becoming harder every day...

To many, Public / Council land etc is open slather...

Yet on other forums and FB; the moment I post or complain - I get shouted down... With not too many interested in backing the approach to Permissions / Respect.

Every one crys loud about the over governance of the British Ils and many other places.... The usual comment is don't talk to Councils, do not make a big thing of it or you will start trouble...

I may be backing the wrong HORSE - but to remain sustainable; there need to be some better form of regulating and enforcing the rules...

And if that means loss of Detector and Car etc - Just like illegal netters in FNQ = SO BE IT.... And any proceeds from the Illegal activities can also be forfeited...

Now watch me get it yet again...

The problem as i see it Anger is that you can never regulate the bad apples because they simply don't give a s...t. They spoil somewhere and then just move on if places are shut, or keep hitting areas illegally. If it was that easy to regulate against bad behaviour we wouldn't have so many crims in prison. I think the ones that really do care just need to speak up LOUDLY and try and shame those that do ruin it for everybody else.

Maybe every one of us that do care should commit to making an effort to fill one or two holes left by others every time we go out or bring back a few empties left about? It won't fix the problem but it may help repair some of the modern day damage done, and give prospectors a more responsible image. We can't alter what the old timers did to the environment, but we can try and not do anymore long term harm.

Brumble-Gum said:
Gday Lambs73, yep I will take back my comment and apologize to GPZ owners.
My comment should have said anyone who digs holes needs to cover them in, please take note you are stuffing it for the rest of us.
Once again my apologies, it was not meant to offend. Emotion before thought was written.

BG.

Hi BG,

No offence taken my friend, I really do understand your frustration. It's annoying for us all that do the right thing. It's just as annoying seeing all the rubbish that gets left in the bush.

Again mate, no offence taken and I appreciate your reply.

Thank you.

These People Might well Be A ZED Perchaser, But they are Not Detecting Prospectors Like Everyone Here that Owns A 5K 4.5K and the ZED, these are just Chancers who happen to have Acquired A ZED via Theft, Government Grants or from A Bloke down the Pub,

I would not call them ZED OWNERS, Because we all know how much effort it takes to Buy and run these machines, Not to mention the knowledge of the Land,

I hope this gets sorted out soon, Over here we have the option of 10,000,000 public liability insurance when you join one of the big Net works that help to protect the hobby and its Members as well as members of the Public, Livestock and leagal costs ETC, and it costs about 10 or 15 quid a YEAR and for peace of mind, I would like them odds out in the Triangle

It seems you all need to do something to protect your Selves,

If you Guys would like to know more just holler and I will post the Link just to give you some Ideas.

john

Just arrived back from the Palmer goldfields in Nth Qld.

It's clear that some metal detecting prospectors have deliberately set pastoral properties on fire in the dry to clear the ground cover.

Any wonder they are no longer welcome.

Redmanti said:
Just arrived back from the Palmer goldfields in Nth Qld.

It's clear that some metal detecting prospectors have deliberately set pastoral properties on fire in the dry to clear the ground cover.

Any wonder they are no longer welcome.

And as the word spreads throughout the Farming Community, which it will, More and more Places will be closed to the Public,

Sorry to hear that, Thanks for posting It,, John

Latest posts