pin pointing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah no worries. Have got one high powered disc on now & that will pick up screws, nails etc. but they don't stick with any force. Looking for a couple of 100mm blocks to try & spread more of the magnetism along the rake to improve holding. Balking at the price at the moment :lol:
An all terrain one of these would be the go:
1440335884_veozio7icnh-shisjus7902hqr_wl97dx6ckjw3mzuciweqa1qf2teocsmtkxjbcv5v07bgss9peky6jkdljp6inwihb_-rgpqhmz2r8pd9ptcy5edp_dj-pod8jrd2fqda4b6ae8v5gzenvqycj84tua-fgrwzw6zfqgkx_b2dpb64zjfbzipx7v-gyw384-h384-nc.jpeg

Edit: One reason I'm balking at putting too many $$$'s into it is I'd say about 75% of the trash I get is lead or non ferrous but there are a couple of nice spots I know that are littered with iron.

mbasko said:
w3bgold said:

I think for what Wal is describing above you need a magnet with at least 20kg pulling/holding force up to around 40kg. I don't think hard drive magnets would be up at that but would be ok for a basic, low cost set up.

Ahh much larger than I thought, I'll leave the old drives alone in relation to the thread.

With a motorised detector swinging behind it mbasko :lol: Yes i have a couple of spots i definitely reckon there's some gold lying in wait but the area is full of trash as well and i don't have the stamina or inclination (yet) to spend days removing the junk there's so much of it.

I just remembered a news report from down in Melbourne where some non lycra lovers have been spreading tacks on the side of roads to puncture bike tyres. The council had a vehicle set up to go along and pick them up via large magnets i presume? Maybe need to hire one of those for the weekend :lol:

SCROUNGER said:
With a motorised detector swinging behind it mbasko :lol: Yes i have a couple of spots i definitely reckon there's some gold lying in wait but the area is full of trash as well and i don't have the stamina or inclination (yet) to spend days removing the junk there's so much of it.

Use a VLF.

SCROUNGER said:
Yeah sunriseboy, just put em on the back (or front) of the blade somewhere. No need to be attached at the end of the wooden handle as some do.

Thanks for that. Excellent tip.

SunriseBoy said:
SCROUNGER said:

Use a VLF.
A VLF in disc will still mask any gold under/near the iron.

mbasko said:
Yeah I'm more after something for the surface iron. That would be a start in some areas where its visibly strewn all over the ground.

yep - this is ideal for doing parking lots and gravel driveways - A value added service for any permissions I do.

Latest posts