Petrol Water Pumps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the cheap chinese brands. Genset and X5 brands. both are heavier than Honda.
About 80 hours on the 1.5 inch and 30 hours on the 2.5 inch. They run on AP spec or above 5-30 grade oil changed after the first days run, then at 20 hours.
Both have had the on/off switch fail, which seems difficult to source. The start rope broke on the small pump. Usually start within 3-4 pulls.
I will look at a honda when these fail because the honda is quieter.
If these motors give the same service as generators in this power range, catastrophic failure occurs between 800-2000 hours. Water pumps, in this application may get more hours due to being run at less demanding levels.

You will be happy with the Honda, lots of advice & bias here. I wish this forum existed before I made my decision as I would buy the quite one, much nicer to play all day with less noise.

I have a protege 1.5 inch pump 6.5 HP and can move 12000 LPH , I have about 50 hours on it, its cheap but heavy. So far no real issues except that the mounting/carry frame is crap, it has cracked already because it vibrates a lot when pump is running at a low revs. I had the frame strengthened and so far all good, its a pain to lift and carry any distance and I am now looking for a smaller physical size pump with same capacity.

keep in mind when buying a water pumps is that the statistic of water flow they state are under perfect conditions, my experience, if you need 150lmp get one that puts out 250lpm and idle it down, a water pump is only load under full throttle and alot of the time you still want to run a legthy hose to and from wich needs more power, also connection sizes, hose diametres although only slightly different can play a big role on pressure at the spray bar, if your worried about noise make an exhaust pipe to sit under the water, make sure you do not do this in state forest or a creek/river that has good fishing

charlie123 said:
My experience after 10 hrs banking the last water pump you want is 2 stroke

I fully agree with you but I can't shovel for that long - I'm shagged after half an hour & ready for a siesta :D
Often I'd have earplugs in anyhow & in my own little world :rolleyes:

Without a HB at the moment(1/2 way thru build which is on hold), but when I had a going concern I recon 3-4 hrs is about all I had in me shoveling/pump running.

Some of the smaller/cheaper 4strokes are fairly noisy too - on par with some 2T's

Ultimately Honda is the beez kneez tho...

Lots of variables one needs to consider & prioritys.
quiet V noisy
volume of water & head
light weight V heavy
cheap V something 2 - 7 times as expensive

Couple of how you say coldies and 1hr siesta good idea, put the best day you ever had in, Many people I know who use banker dont like to walk far so bigger is always bigger, stronger, more reliable, weight is good sign of strength

Should work fine. They are Chinese. My old generator was the same brand.. done a couple of thousand hours with it before I sold it to a mate, who converted it to LPG. As far as I know it's still running.

It all comes down to warranty for me if they back it up with 12 months min warranty id take a punt if not stay away

I have one, so far so good.
Change the plug, fill the oil and take some oil with you as mine used oil for the first 15 to 20 hours. Not as quite as the Honda and heavier. starter rope broke early too.

I started to have some problems with mine today. Ever since it went under water it hasn't been the same.
Other than that it was working fine. Just keep it out of the water lol.

Hi guys , newbie here . I'v contacted the supplier and want to know the Db rating of the little petrol pump .

How have you found it on the ears after a good days washing

Looks the same as the Thornado version on Ebay which I have. So far hasn't skipped a beat. Not bad on the ear.

Not as quiet as the honda, the noise is irritation if you run it flatout. You should get db @ metres to get an idea.
Next I will buy a Honda but if you need to buy cheaper pump the X5 brand (5.5hp) which is on ebay has been good for me too.
It seems that the honda copies are a bit of pot luck,there are others with 12mth warrante which cost less that genquip and maybe the same pump rebadged, they all seem to say there product is the best.

Greglz86 said:
I started to have some problems with mine today. Ever since it went under water it hasn't been the same.
Other than that it was working fine. Just keep it out of the water lol.

did you replace the oil after it went swimming ?

if its hard to start take off some of the covers and see if you can find the ignition coil , give it a gentle hit with a hair dryer on medium heat ( dont take it over 60 degrees or so ) , look for any water inside the kill switch or other wiring that might be creating a partial short circuit

leave it in a warm place for a while

There's a fuel/water filter drain cap on most pumps it has a bolt holding it in. If you havent already remove this bold and let fuel and water come out. Sounds like this might he your issue.

G0lddigg@ said:
There's a fuel/water filter drain cap on most pumps it has a bolt holding it in. If you havent already remove this bold and let fuel and water come out. Sounds like this might he your issue.

DOH . i forgot the obvious

water in fuel / carby

silly booga :)

thanks goldigga