Panning gold in hill end Bathurst

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying find any gold to make the trip worth it. Went to sofala under the bridge, no luck. Any chance hill end will have it? Only panning. Thank u

Meet up with someone that knows what there doing mate. You should have got color at sofala.
There are lots of members around Tuena this week, you should pop down there.

DD

Where a outs in sofala is there colour? We went to the village where there was a model bridge and a sign saying oldest gold town we followed the steps n went down n panned but nothing so I will give tuena a go any advise would be great

even after a flogged out season at Sofala...you can get a show of colour.
Just have to dig in the right spots, find a crevice, obstruction of some sort.

Hill End....you can find gold....just go down to Tambaroora...to the public fossicking grounds....knock a bit of dirt out the bank there...there is trace color in that....that is the dirt used by the panning tours.
When working at History Hill...a 10 yr old School girl picked up a 3 dwt piece out of that stuff.

If you do not like the "public" places...find a creek, gully...locate a gold hiding sort of obstruction and throw some dirt in the pan.
If there is some water about....there are many, many gullies that have color.

Just do not fossick within the NPWS areas...or you might get in the poo

Horse said:

Hill End....you can find gold....just go down to Tambaroora...to the public fossicking grounds....knock a bit of dirt out the bank there...there is trace color in that....that is the dirt used by the panning tours.
When working at History Hill...a 10 yr old School girl picked up a 3 dwt piece out of that stuff.

If you do not like the "public" places...find a creek, gully...locate a gold hiding sort of obstruction and throw some dirt in the pan.

Wow, thanks for contributing.
thats nice observing, where are you from Horse?
you obv do metal detecting your self? right?
I got mine like a week now, been trying to use all metal mode on gold bug pro giving off different high pitch sounds, quite interesting to distinguish an item and depth by listening and numbers display lcd. 8)

I think the place is quite nice, peaceful, lot of wild animals there I guess, I would love to go there! whats the rd condition like there?

About 1km before you get to the town of hill end there is this place where we stopped and it had a sign of what happened here, it was talking about how the Asian gold miner's would pan in this area. There was awesome looking rock formations going on, it also had a little cave you go through but it just got to scary for me to be honest however I just couldnt help picture a big ass gold ore stuck in these rock formations haha. Does anyone know the name? I forgot.. there are wooden type stairs that goes down to what it looked like a old dried out river/greek/stream but we went there when there was a recent flood going on so it had a bit of water but still walk -able

Anyone find colour there? Only thing I found was gold the size of a dot

lshallperish said:
About 1km before you get to the town of hill end there is this place where we stopped and it had a sign of what happened here, it was talking about how the Asian gold miner's would pan in this area. There was awesome looking rock formations going on, it also had a little cave you go through but it just got to scary for me to be honest however I just couldnt help picture a big ass gold ore stuck in these rock formations haha. Does anyone know the name? I forgot.. there are wooden type stairs that goes down to what it looked like a old dried out river/greek/stream but we went there when there was a recent flood going on so it had a bit of water but still walk -able

I think you may be talking about the golden gully arch
lab

Went out to Mitchell creek today , signs say kirkconnel creek =/ well I went to kirkconnel creek and did a few pans .

Maybe 5 pans and got 7 colours and a large 2x2mm piece was very thing but looked good in the pan .

sususydney said:
Horse said:

Wow, thanks for contributing.
thats nice observing, where are you from Horse?
you obv do metal detecting your self? right?
I got mine like a week now, been trying to use all metal mode on gold bug pro giving off different high pitch sounds, quite interesting to distinguish an item and depth by listening and numbers display lcd. 8)

I live in Taree, however grew up in Bathurst and spent a lot of time out in the bush including Hill End where my mother was born.

I lived at Hill End for a while also.
To let you know how good Hill End area is for panning....you can even get color in Poormans Gully....if the Poorman can get it...anyone can hehe

As for metal detecting...just only bought a 705 recently...for the purpose of scanning highbanker header piles.
But I have been doing some urban prospecting (coin shooting) to keep my mind off not being able to get to the gold fields.

Gold Bug Pro would be a good machine for Hill End....nice high frequency...get all those shallow goodies.
Walk the gullies and washouts swing slow...listen hard...and best of luck...I hope you do well :)

lost a bit said:
lshallperish said:

lab

Certainly sounds like Golden Gully....it was a Chinese hot spot.
Did you notice the round tunnels in the walls?

Horse said:
lost a bit said:
lshallperish said:

lab

Certainly sounds like Golden Gully....it was a Chinese hot spot.
Did you notice the round tunnels in the walls?

do you know anything about those tunnel's? Im guessing its just natural but if its man made than it makes it more interesting.

I do want to find some gold for a living, though it must be done properly, I think having a metal detector alone does work but the more people the better to find a spot. any one up for a trip on the hills? maybe share a ride is better than going alone, the petrol price can be halves and gold is for everyone who finds it. I plan to go for 2 over nights camp and hunt as many hills as possible for some profit to do the next. camping gear required. shop on torpedo7 for camping gear if anyone up for gold :)

hi perish, are you going back to barthurst or hill end again? if you've got a seat for me, I will half the petrol and we hunt together; let me know so I can get my panning gear as well :)

sususydney said:
hi perish, are you going back to barthurst or hill end again? if you've got a seat for me, I will half the petrol and we hunt together; let me know so I can get my panning gear as well :)

No worry's I'll let you know when I go again, it cost me 46 bucks from sydney to bathurst, to sofala, to hill end, back to sydney =)

lshallperish said:
sususydney said:

No worry's I'll let you know when I go again, it cost me 46 bucks from sydney to bathurst, to sofala, to hill end, back to sydney =)

wow thats good value! ok, I will half the petrol and carry food for both of us and coffees for the drive as well. I could get great pastry/ chocolate croisant; salmon bagel; ham &cheese croisant *drools*
so how long do you want to go for?
by the way do you know any spot yet? or should we explore the region and look for a good spot to hunt?? the problem to find a spot is actually being there examining the soil, so I will do research and find the best spot for the hunt.

sususydney said:
lshallperish said:
sususydney said:

wow thats good value! ok, I will half the petrol and carry food for both of us and coffees for the drive as well. I could get great pastry/ chocolate croisant; salmon bagel; ham &cheese croisant *drools*
so how long do you want to go for?
by the way do you know any spot yet? or should we explore the region and look for a good spot to hunt?? the problem to find a spot is actually being there examining the soil, so I will do research and find the best spot for the hunt.

3 places I know are hill end, sofala, tuean? river (i think thats how you spell it <)

You just pan right?