NSW prospecting licence

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm heading up near Mudgee in a week or two to catch up with my brother and check out his new pad on the Cudgegong river at Two Mile Flat. I had a read up on the area and it sounds like it's worth throwing in the detector. Two part question, what price am I looking at or is there an option for short term licence it's not like I'll be using one very often in NSW at the moment.

Cant rememeber fully but the 12 month one was cheap enough ($27.50 )and i am almost certain there was a coupla week one aswell. I can dig up the link if that helps or if someone has it handy they can put it up.

You don't need a prospecting licence or permit in NSW unless going into NSW State Forests which there are none of within cooee of 2 Mile Flat.
Outside of State Forest as long as you've got permission to be on the land to prospect/fossick or its publicly available for fossicking/prospecting then you're good to go.
Couple of interesting areas out there but mostly all on private property so could be worth a swing for sure.

There is no NSW prospecting licence, it's as aussiefarmer and Anolphart say. You only need a fossicking licence if you are prospecting in a state forest, other than that go for it.

https://minview.geoscience.nsw.gov....22629096661&lon=-32.5967902444957&z=13&bm=bm3

The link is for MinView, Mudgee is in the centre of the screen, I have marked for you Gold (little yellow triangles), Fossicking Districts (Red and White Check pattern), National parks, State Conservation Areas and State Forests. To switch these on or off just go the the top left corner of the screen just under the Waratah flower (Map Layers)

Ripper :Y: thanks for the replies, won't be in any state forest so I'm good to go, even more excited than I was before asking the question :) :beer:.

roy cobb said:
Hi RM I'am heading out that way in a few weeks time as well for a few days I hope.

G'day Roy Cobb from what I've read I'd love to spend a month or two in the area, NSW's richest Goldfield in its day, varying depths like most. The alluvial riches in the day are impressive can't recall the numbers. I'm heading up on a Friday and returning Sunday so I'll just check out his pad and keep researching for a future trip, he's very close to some rich finds so I'll throw the detectors in and see how it pans out.

RM Outback said:
roy cobb said:
Hi RM I'am heading out that way in a few weeks time as well for a few days I hope.

G'day Roy Cobb from what I've read I'd love to spend a month or two in the area, NSW's richest Goldfield in its day, varying depths like most. The alluvial riches in the day are impressive can't recall the numbers. I'm heading up on a Friday and returning Sunday so I'll just check out his pad and keep researching for a future trip, he's very close to some rich finds so I'll throw the detectors in and see how it pans out.

Well not quite the richest Gold Field in NSW..... Coffs Harbour area has pulled out a lot of gold too.... Has been described as 'the Richest Gold Field in NSW...
Problem is that it can't be proven as the Mining Wardens office burnt down and all records were destroyed..... History describes it as 'One of the richest Gold fields' in a lot of Books.... Dalmorton(west of Coffs) also has a lot and combined would far exceed other Goldfields....
I can't think of any other place that returned over 6oz per pan, and football size Nuggets..... But I could be wrong... :cool:

LW.....

StoneTheCrows said:
RM

When you do come up for a trip again - shout - as I will be going to Hill End over the summer and would meeet up with you.

Neil

I've just organised with my brother I'll be up there over the AFL grand final weekend. Unfortunately with the plans he's got I won't be able to meet up this time. I'll keep you in mind thanks for the offer, I won't get back until next year due to work commitments. I'm thinking the Gulgong Gold Festival if I can get the time I'd really like a week at a minimum but even that'll be a stretch for time away from work.

LoneWolf said:
RM Outback said:
roy cobb said:

Well not quite the richest Gold Field in NSW..... Coffs Harbour area has pulled out a lot of gold too.... Has been described as 'the Richest Gold Field in NSW...
Problem is that it can't be proven as the Mining Wardens office burnt down and all records were destroyed..... History describes it as 'One of the richest Gold fields' in a lot of Books.... Dalmorton(west of Coffs) also has a lot and combined would far exceed other Goldfields....
I can't think of any other place that returned over 6oz per pan, and football size Nuggets..... But I could be wrong... :cool:

LW.....

The info I read stated "Gulgong was the richest in its day" not the richest. Even intact gold record's from any goldfields I'd say are only that of reported finds.

That's true RM.....There was a lot of Chinese working the Goldfields and We all know that they took all their Gold Home.... I will put up some records from a Mining co that will make you want to go there.... If I can find them... Bluecurrant on this forum has found some nice Gold from 'Coffs' area...

LW.....

LoneWolf said:
That's true RM.....There was a lot of Chinese working the Goldfields and We all know that they took all their Gold Home.... I will put up some records from a Mining co that will make you want to go there.... If I can find them... Bluecurrant on this forum has found some nice Gold from 'Coffs' area...

LW.....

Cheers LW I'd like to have a read and visit the Coffs area again, last time was 97 8.( certainly is a beautiful place.

Here is a bit of info on 'The Dalmorton Project'... You can just float your way down the river and snip Gold all day if you wish... It's everywhere.... If you want some more info send me a PM RM....
I lived near Coffs for 17yrs and know the area well... Gods Country...

http://www.revolutionmetals.com/projectinventory.asp# These Fellows are very approachable and Welcome Prospectors as long as you tell them what you found....

LW....

Heatho said:
Don't forget that there a lot of rubies in the Cudgegong River, mostly small fragments but bigger ones can be found too.

Thanks Heatho :Y: I told Kate, she's excited also told the boy's so they've checked out the Cudgegong river on YouTube and we're now taking the kayaks.

Latest posts