Noisiest park

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlS

Karl
Reaction score
This morning I went detecting to one of the local parks. All the parks in my area are full of junk, but this one was worst. My Exterra 705 sounded like piano when you pass finger over the keys up and down. I had sensitivity tuned down to 12 but it did not help. I never use discrimination mode but this time I gave up and used it. Ended up with $5 in one and half hours, well below my average.
What was your noisiest ground?
Karl

The oval where my mates and I used to blow up Aluminium cans as kids with bungers. :( Guess I'm doing my bit slowly cleaning it out piece by piece, I'm sure there's a Gold ring there somewhere...........

Speers point park was my worst park to detect in,3 hours netted me $4.20. Followed by Croudace bay park I found so much rubbish there it was incredible lots of the old pull tabs there. But that's where I found my only florin to date.

cheers Rob

Not much" chance to find pre decimals around here. Too new. Although I did fund one half penny in very good condition. Because of so much trash in the ground I use 6" high frequency coil all the time. It is good coil for separating targets but not very accurate on TI. The quantity of bottles of Jack Daniels drunk in local parks is staggering. The screw tops from it sounds exactly like two dollar coin.
Karl

Lol. Sports oval near me killed my ace 250. I swear to this day its shit scared of that field when I drive by it. Its bad because it has a bar beside the oval and the ring pulls, tin can bits and caps is huge.

In theory I thought it may be a good try but then gave up as my pin pointer would have a hard time with multiple target. YES the pin pointer wouldn't stop beeping on some targets. I even found a target, grabbed my screw driver and laid the pointer down away from me and it would start beeping. Was a shit spot full of trash that wasn't picked up, but just mowed into the ground.

Don't know where you are but in Queensland a lot of parks and ovals are the sites of old council rubbish tips once they are full the council turns them into recreational use areas. If you see any long chimney looking structures around the grounds they are there to let out the methane gas that is generated by the rotting garbage under the ground.

gcause said:
Don't know where you are but in Queensland a lot of parks and ovals are the sites of old council rubbish tips once they are full the council turns them into recreational use areas. If you see any long chimney looking structures around the grounds they are there to let out the methane gas that is generated by the rotting garbage under the ground.

The sports oval was a tip 30 years ago then sealed and that's when I use to play soccer on it in central qld. However, its had a good layer of clay, followed by topsoil put on over the years (I would be literally aiming for a good 50 cm target to hit the tip). PLUS I set my detector to read for coins on the surface maybe 10cm down is the deepest I go, any deeper and it has to ring as a 1 or 2 buck coin and even then I am hesitant to do a hole in a perfectly good oval that my kids play on, I am not seeking for the allusive 19th century coin of awesomeness.

The boys at the club complained that they lose coins a lot on the grass after a few drinks, I thought it would be a good shot, alas, no its not, quite the opposite, as the amount of drunks who drop bottle tops, cans, pull tabs, football screw in tags, crap and anything else (I found half a metal compass) is mixed in the ground made it impossible, and worse, it seems they don't pick it up but just run the lawn mower over it which was just as annoying for the amount on tin foil squashed into the grass. The best pickings was on the sidelines away from the pub and grassed drinking areas. Found a mens silver ring, that's two now this year for me.

Anyways, that's me for now.

The local park near where I live is extremely popular for parents to take their kids to, unfortunately many of them are grubs, and leave lots of rubbish, especially foil scraps. That park was the main reason why I sold my 305, it sounded like a poker machine going off over the hundreds of small foil targets in that park. Should have kept the Vaquero really, its discrimination was spot on, and extremely accurate. VDI's are near on uselss in those areas with such prolific and closely spaced targets, probably even with a small sniper coil fitted.

gcause said:

Not here, some 30 years so it was bush or farmland. It is not just the metal junk, but heaps of broken glass as well. Council and they contractors run over anything that is in the grass. Glass bottles, plastic ones, aluminium cans. Don't fall asleep in our park, you may finish up as slew in the ground
To be fair to most of the locals, it difficult to do right thing. Most of park don't have rubbish bins.
Karl

One near me Carisbrooke reserve 100+ people every weekend with tents/marquees

Ive tried a couple of times, completely pointless my 70 just goes nuts and once you do get a decent signal in the goldie range its a bottle top lol

Im sure there'd be PLENTY of goodies there considering the amount of foot traffic it gets.

Latest posts