Newbie in WA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi peeps, nice to be able to say Hi to some like minded people. I've had a few setbacks the last 12-18 months which have prevented me from going sooner but now I'm almost ready to get going.
I have a cheap-as detector given as a gift several yrs ago but if it works at all I'll update with what I find, ha.
My problem is roads. How or where can I find out if they're passable or drivable for my SUV towing a poptop? I don't have a problem driving dirt roads but if they turn out bad I doubt I could back the van up that far. lmao.
Hints ? Tips? Cheers :rolleyes:

Hi SG and welcome to PA.

Sounds like you've got pretty lightweight equipment, so any unsealed WA road should be approached with great care. They're rarely smooth, very dusty and become pretty much impassible after rain. You can also expect them to be heavily corrrugated, which will break or shake apart lightly-built vehicles sooner or later.

Here's where you can see which outback roads are closed to all traffic after rain:
https://travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Home/Map

Hi SG and welcome to PA.

Sounds like you've got pretty lightweight equipment, so any unsealed WA road should be approached with great care. They're rarely smooth, very dusty and become pretty much impassible after rain. You can also expect them to be heavily corrrugated, which will break or shake apart lightly-built vehicles sooner or later.

Here's where you can see which outback roads are closed to all traffic after rain:
https://travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Home/Map
Thanks grubstake. I'll hang on to that site and check it often.
Yeah it's true I've only been in WA now about 18yrs and while I would flit all over the east with my 2 wee ones back then, I don't have the knowledge or experience or the heavy duty gear I should have for WA.
There's no going back for me tho I'm priced out of the rental market and the only way out is forward come what may.
I'm solared and watered and all my stuff works at this point, I'm not in a hurry, just a silly git roaming.
Cheers ☺️

I hope it's all going to work out for you, mate. Gold can be a tough mistress sometimes, but when she's in a good mood... 🤞

Stick around PA anyway - there's lots of answers here to lots of questions. You may even find a member going the same way at around the same time that you can meet up with. Seeing how it's done is the quickest way to learn basic prospecting skills.

Latest posts