new to prospecting sydney nsw

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi every one, im new to this site aswell as prospecting, i have had an interest in gold panning and sluice boxing, ive been to ophir once begginers luck i pulled out a couple of small nuggets. since then ive brought a garrets metal detector i got the garrets gold panning kit with classifier etc, does any one know of a closer spot than ophir?

Cant think of much closer time wise unless you explore closer to the mountains near llthgow, or down Goulbourn way. Most prospecting from Sydney is 3+hrs drive. Welcome.

i heard oallen is a decent place atm. but its just what ive heard i dont know from experience. but i plan on going there for my first time using my highbanker im working on.

its only like a 2.5hour trip from Campbelltown.

There is the Sunny Corner area around Lithgow, the Turon River bridges and surrounds, also around Oberon there are quite a few fossicking areas and State Forests also. Plenty of places closer than Ophir.

Like I said, 3hrs + from Sydney City. Sofala is a good starting point due to the obvious nature of fossicking spots...Turon river etc. Down South look for areas near Braidwood.

Not sure if ur single or with family...Turon Gates (my favourite)Camp / Cabin area for families/friends for a couple of relaxing days. Any where in that campsite is gold territory. A bit pricier to Camp or Cabin but well worth the experience and you can literally walk from your cabin and start panning or detecting etc. Trout there also when the waters are flowing. Easy drive past Lithgow to A small town called Capertee (where a 50kg nugget was found in the old days). Last time I stayed at Turon gates the Manager had dug an area to lay pipes. Some blokes with detectors scanned the raised dirt and pulled a few nuggets from the upturned soil. Also 2wd friendly on the main drag and km of river to try. Definitely a spot that you will remember and can go back to year after year.

thank you, everybody, also could you tell me if there is like a group in nsw that meets up and goes places to pan etc?

Tuena Anzac weekend is your best starting place if you want to learn from others. 10 posts will get you to the members forum info. Should be 20+ fellow prospectors.

You can be scraper guy on my highbanker at Tuena if you like! Just need to make sure your eyesight is ok because I don't want to loose any of the bigger nuggets that don't fall thru the tray. My uncle has failed that test so looking to replace my current crew! lol