Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Test targets? Try also using aluminium - melt some drink cans and make some targets. See the latest GG&T for why.
2. Swing speed. This is applicable to the 10 x 5 on an older VLF like the 70 and the 705. Rule of thumb - 7 second swing per metre, belt along and you will miss SMALL targets using a small coil. Bigger coil, naturally the swing speed varies as does the application on quiet ground. This speed is the result of a hell of a lot of testing in the introduction phase of the Xterras. I am not talking about a beach or park - but mongrel mineralised and red clay infested goldfields.
3. Sens - IMO the threashold should just be audible - you are listening for very soft breaks for small targets.
4. The made in USA instruction DVD that comes with detector? If detecting for gold in Australia, especially on the mineralised ground, take DVD, open case, take out DVD, thrown on fire, burn DVD - it will be of more use.

loamer said:
The made in USA instruction DVD that comes with detector? If detecting for gold in Australia, especially on the mineralised ground, take DVD, open case, take out DVD, thrown on fire, burn DVD - it will be of more use.

Funny that you should say that, lol ;) :lol:

Thanks for that mbasko. I just bought my 10yo son an XTerra 305 so it will be a great follow on from the Instruction Manual. Cheers.

Thanks for posting. I've seen some great gold from Brazil. Have you been prospecting for a while or is this your first detector?

Sounds like you're getting some EMI. Was there any electric fences or powerlines nearby?

Hi Phase Tech
I have long mining with other types of detectors, such as Goldmaster (whites) , but this is my first Minelab detector. congratulations you have a lot of experience, I really made the video close to an electric fence, so the detector was unstable.
Thanks for commenting

Really keen to buy my first metal detector. Should I buy just buy the gold pack for $850.00 or go with the relic coil as well for an extra $140.00?

Is the relic coil necessary? Or can the gold coil do the job for both gold & relics??

Thanks.

Hi,

I have both but have used the DD coil for coins. I think you can get better separation from trash using the DD but pinpointing is a bit more of a challenge. I think I get better depth with the concentric coil on beaches though. The concentric is water proof to 1 metre but the DD is just water resistant (do not submerse)

If you can afford it go for both. Gives a little more flexibility.

Just my opinion anyways.

Cliff

Windigo said:
Really keen to buy my first metal detector. Should I buy just buy the gold pack for $850.00 or go with the relic coil as well for an extra $140.00?

Is the relic coil necessary? Or can the gold coil do the job for both gold & relics??

Thanks.
As WALLY said. you could try to bargain with a few dealers for a better deal. do some research or more as the case mbe, on the 705 if you are really looking to find gold. great for relics and coins but some-what limited for a gold hunter.

Resale value I would go the dual pack when yo out grow the detector. I can't say I used the centric coil much at all but good to switch it up. Plus the dd is 18kh and the centric is 7.5kh

Thanks for your replies.

Ive found one on gumtree for $850.00 neg: Comes with the dd coil, relic and deep coil. As well as a stand, rpg headphones & cover.

I think this is a good deal!

I don't think you will be disappointed with this machine as a first detector. I have found the round coil great for coin shooting so haven't given the dd much airplay but found a few relics at Nundle when chasing gold that gave me the confidence that I would find gold with it. sabogan has posted some great beach finds with the dd in the past that have made me envious so I am sure the dd would perform just as well on the coins.

Gold is my number 1 passion but I spend more time coin shooting due to my location. I am sure if you shared your location and what interests you there would be plenty of advice and discussion on other machine options for you.

Good luck with your purchase and I hope to see some photos of your finds shortly.

Personally I'd get the standard pack, and then add the 10.5" round 18.75 kHz coil. This is the best coil for beaches and other open areas like ovals and paddocks in my experience and goes deeper on most targets compared to the 9" concentric.
The 10x5" is a good coil for heavy scrub, but depth is limited.

Hey guys just picked up a xterra 705

Went out for a swing on the beach, got a sinker and a few tent pegs lol.

Just wondering if anyone around Adelaide who knows how to use these models is heading out and willing for me to tag along and get a lesson I would be greatly a appreciated.

Thanks guys

Tom

Latest posts