Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lee this is the set up I was using , but like I said the 2300 was way to sensitive for this set up to work , shame cause it works v/well with 5000
booster_zpsee99e2f0.jpg

Marty said:
Lee this is the set up I was using , but like I said the 2300 was way to sensitive for this set up to work , shame cause it works v/well with 5000
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q123/memberspictures/booster_zpsee99e2f0.jpg

Hey Marty
Interesting looking gear, I get that it is not useable on the SDC, but you have got my attention on how you use it on your GPX, what battery do you use? what type/ make are those units? so many questions need answers, I think there will be a lot of interest in this set-up.
cheers
Lee

When it's hot and humid up in NEQ Nenads cable and simple booster and speakers may be the best way at the moment. Hard going in the heat with headphones.

On really still quiet days the inbuilt speaker is pretty good, I detect Left handed though, speaker is on the Right side. For right handers it would be a bit harder to hear. You'll see what I mean when swinging it, I'm sure you've probably heard that anyway.

rc62burke said:
Hey Marty
Interesting looking gear, I get that it is not useable on the SDC, but you have got my attention on how you use it on your GPX, what battery do you use? what type/ make are those units? so many questions need answers, I think there will be a lot of interest in this set-up.
cheers
Lee
When I had the 4500 I ran a fully UN-Wired, wireless detector the battery back then was a Nikon 7.4v battery to hard to explain what I did and how , I sold that set up with the 4500 never bothered to re-make something to suit the 5000 dont asked my why LOL

I cant even tell you where I bought the Trans and receiver from as it was a while back now

Forget to say the trans/receive units are USB charged and last around 6hrs with a turn around re-charges of 1hr
Marty

I can't say I have given it a run under power station feeder lines (towers) but I did run it under 33kV with no interference and in close proximity to 66kV lines with little interference.

On another occasion EMI from 220kV poles on an adjacent ridge was initially a problem but the manual tune function buffered it out sufficiently to find subgram gold on a known patch.

I have also had it running within a metre of telecom lines but can't claim that I have found gold in super close proximity. A GPX owner said he couldn't work the ground within 10m.

I believe the SDC can work ground a GPX can't but does it have limitations when it comes to very HV ? Bang out enough EMI and I guess it does. It would be good, over time, to produce a table of effective working distances.

There is a link to a youtube video that PM Coils posted titled "Minelab SDC2300 quick test" as I havent submitted 10 posts yet I cannot post the link dirrect.

This is my sdc 2300 being used, my flame tattooed forearm coming into flrame using my rabbit trap setters pick.
This are has been literally flogged by thousands of sweeps by various detectors and coil combinations.
We are standing under a feeder power-line, beside a train-line (electronic signalling so usually you know if a train is in that section a 1/2 hour before) and to make matter worst one of the biggest mobile tower/radio/emergency etc. dish covered towers I have seen in a while, at Deep Lead in Victoria.
This was in the entrance to a test paddock the PM Coils uses to test his coils.
The area was about 4 or 5 metres by 4 or 5 metres, a square of dirt where everyone turns on to walk to the long ago graded mullock heaps to turn it into a paddock. We are in there with permission.
This video is the 3rd piece of lead shot that should not have been found there.
As stated earlier, many detectors/coil combinations have swept this entrance to the paddock and these pieces of shot should have been found before.
EMI (train-track) power lines and the communication tower and the sdc ran as smooth as a peeled cucumber up the popes arse.
I can stand under HV feeder powerlines that are crackling on setting 2 with a smooth threshold and seek the good stuff, have done this in Neerina for folks that know the Ballarat area.
I don't care what sort of detector any person uses as long as they are out and about and having a look, I aint drank the cool-aide on any particular brand and feel that in most cases its the operator not the detector that has to perform and learn their machine it capabilities, and keep learning everyday you go out.
A good tradesman never blames his tools.
Oz

Wally69 said:
I can't say I have given it a run under power station feeder lines (towers) but I did run it under 33kV with no interference and in close proximity to 66kV lines with little interference.

On another occasion EMI from 220kV poles on an adjacent ridge was initially a problem but the manual tune function buffered it out sufficiently to find subgram gold on a known patch.

I have also had it running within a metre of telecom lines but can't claim that I have found gold in super close proximity. A GPX owner said he couldn't work the ground within 10m.

I believe the SDC can work ground a GPX can't but does it have limitations when it comes to very HV ? Bang out enough EMI and I guess it does. It would be good, over time, to produce a table of effective working distances.

Most electronic devices will have a point at which they can't operate properly, EMI saturation.

I ve had no issues at Nundle, Hill End or Sofala directly under power lines. Matter of fact I deliberately followed them thinking other detectors may not have been able to go near them. Still did not find anything worth reporting though.

But at home the SDC does not like the power lines in the street which look pretty heavy duty, 1/2 inch thick with 4 cables. But the Xterra 705 is not affected and runs quiet as.

I guess it depends on the voltages carried by the power lines and the distance to any sub stations?

What Heatho said about EMI saturation. Every device will have a failing point.

Cheers

Retirement Stone said:
I ve had no issues at Nundle, Hill End or Sofala directly under power lines. Matter of fact I deliberately followed them thinking other detectors may not have been able to go near them. Still did not find anything worth reporting though.

But at home the SDC does not like the power lines in the street which look pretty heavy duty, 1/2 inch thick with 4 cables. But the Xterra 705 is not affected and runs quiet as.

I guess it depends on the voltages carried by the power lines and the distance to any sub stations?

What Heatho said about EMI saturation. Every device will have a failing point.

Cheers
Exactly the same at my place. I will be going out of my way in the next couple of weeks to try the SDC under power lines away from town to see the effect.

Cliff

Thank you guys for all your feedback.
Bottom line is that its a sensational little unit worth every penny we paid for it.
P.S:I have done numerous tests and noticed that on Sunday mornings is the best time for power line prospecting.During the week and winter periods lines carry a lot of current as well as very hot days are bad too.
See you out there.
Regards

I've had a couple of times when the SDC just started going a bit crazy and making all sorts of noise from some sort of EMI, I had to do 3 auto scans to get it to settle, sometimes just doing 1 scan won't do it. I thought it was because I was getting too close to the other fellas I was detecting with but it wasn't. Can detect 10m appart with the SDC no worries.

Some days are better than others for sure.

Hi All
I have done a bit of work to address 2 of the problem area's with the SDC2300.

Firstly the "Folding Cuff" it looks like they had this part made in a "Toy Shop" so I have made up what I consider a "Robust" arm cuff, this should do away with any frustration with it collapsing & ensure it is more rigid on my arm.

The next thing that needed attention is the "Coil" connection swivel "Knuckle", as I see it as an area of potential wear & this could also affect the lower part of the bottom shaft, so I made up a bit of heat moulded PVC ( I think this will just be a prototype as it needs a bit more refinement.

The changes do affect the ability to fold the coile flat against the main box but I can live with that for the improvements, all I need to do now is to have a cover made & then I am going "TROPPO" "Translation = an early December Run to Forsayth..

Hi rc62burke,
Was wondering if the knuckle cover would be better fabricated out of thick leather as this would protect but also allow movement of the coil ?

Cracka

Good idea with the coil/shaft connector point. Will help it to not get caught up on scrub too as you swing it amongst it. ;)

On the armrest, I,ve used PVC waterpipe that is attatched by velcro and if you cut out the size of the pvc , and then place into hot water, you can mould it to fit securely around your forearm. This enables you to swing the SDC around and feels very secure.
Works for me
Trev

cracka said:
Hi rc62burke,
Was wondering if the knuckle cover would be better fabricated out of thick leather as this would protect but also allow movement of the coil ?

Cracka

Mate I guess you can make it out of almost anything.
What I wanted was something that I did not have to tie on or secure in any other way so that it could be removed easily to remove dirt build up, this sort of clips into place & does not require anything else to hold it in place.

Wetsuit material would be great if you were able to remove the coil you could make up something quite good!

cheers
Lee

Latest posts