Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a box full of headphones... Gray Ghost Headphone Nugget Buster are the best by far, they make the ML/Koss sound like crappy toys

Those Gray Ghosts are loud on the 5000s, definitely want to turn your Volume Limit down.
Has anyone used the TD-85s? they are the newer silver ones

I have 2 pair of new Koss headphones that I don't use because they just want to fall of my head all the time, I ended up buying the Gray Ghost headphones ....very nice bit of kit.

I've got a crappy set of Sony headphones that I have used to mix music albums with, lol, headphones are weird things, you can get used to a certain set and then no others sounds right.

I'm going to start looking for a set with a nice bump of 2db around 700-800Hz.

May get a set of the Gray Ghosts if they are that stable on your head. The Koss are very annoying.

Thanks guys. Have heard of the grey ghosts and by all accounts are a good unit. I will investigate the TD-85s. Want to be sure if I'm forking out $250 odd bucks I'm getting the best for the machine.

Koss TD80s I believe are no longer made but a few dealers may still have them? Yes, they can be a pain but a new set of ear foam for them is about $10 and these should last one detecting year (depending on how often you go out). If you have TD80s I would suggest you get some spare foam while they are still available (peel and stick). They get a tick from me, robust, good strong manufacture.

the Koss UR 30 - take headphones, place in hands, drop on foot at the correct angle, kick them straight into the bin. very comfy, very badly made for the bush. Great for listening to Jim Reeves, Slim Dusty and Hank Williams records and that, in my opinion, is about their limit. These were the old standard Minelab issue with new detectors - I've had several pairs and they literally fall apart. Minelab should have been held to account over issuing these pieces of cxap. Good for limited use. Am I pissed over these? You betcha - let down many times.

My next set will probably be the Nugget Buster/Grey Ghost.

I have used Koss clip on head phones for many years they just clip over your ears I find them good in the summer ,in the winter I may have to give it a tad more volume when its windy. They are cheap on ebay between $20 and $30 regards john :)

PhaseTech said:
Those Gray Ghosts are loud on the 5000s, definitely want to turn your Volume Limit down.
Has anyone used the TD-85s? they are the newer silver ones

g'day nenad
I reckon I had a try of them, if they are the ones you can buy on e-bay for about $80.
these ones were made by koss but I can't remember what number they had on them and they were silver.
if so I only tried them for 15 minutes before I had to give them back, but on the sdc with your adapter they were great, very comfy and good sound. I did not have time to try them on the 5k.
the owner of them was running them on a tecknetics g2 and he was happy with them.
regards trashy

Grey Ghosts on ebay - check the US mail fees - bloody hell!! The Grey Ghost Nugget Finders (the yellow ones) are about $125 in Oz.

Sun Ray Gold headphones
They have leather ear cushions
And also they have volume control
And a noise limiter

I have a pair of sunray gold I was using them on a sovereign ,I tried them on the spp the other day I found them to be ever good next time I go out I will try them again regards john :)

Loamer,

These headphones I bought from the USA when our dollar was better than theirs and got them for$126 + postage...... The leather ear muffs are really good and last a lot longer and fit really well. The volume limiter when set helps with very loud signals and the volume control can be adjusted to both ears or to just one ear or more volume to one ear and still hear with the other ear.
If you look up Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones, you can find all the info it has about these.

bit the bullet - ordered a set of Grey Ghost Nugget Finders here in Oz. Will test and rate later. They review well and speaking to a bloke that has had a set for 12 months, they appear to be handling the punishment of full-time prospecting well. Any set need to be rated to be dropped, bounce around in vehicles, get caught up in trees/scrub and that bloody Bendigo whipstick stuff. ( I swear to god, whipstick is the reincarnation of our dead mother-in-laws - the old battle axes - designed to ruin our fun. )

I got some blackwidow headphones from the states,awesome, like Nenad said very loud my volume limit is at about 3 or 4

Loamer, with the nugget finders you're talking about the nugget busters? Just jumped on the bandwagon with the pair of nugget busters. Could fuss about for eternity comparing headphones and opinions but rather be out detecting :cool: . They do seem a quality piece of equipment. Can't be worse than the stock koss units.

sorry mate- yes Nugget Buster - got Nugget Finder on my brain (done a switch over to NF coils) :p

Got them from detecta den - they rang me to tell me there is a one to two week backlog but that is OK and very nice of them to ring!

The Koss standard issue UR 30. I had a rant above about them. very pretty, very comfy, useless in the scrub. I refuse 100% to baby any equipment for the prices we pay for equipment that is going bush - expect them to be dropped, bounce around in vehicles etc. the detector boxes can take a pounding, why not make robust headphones? If it breaks back it goes - don't sell me junk! I still have my old TD80s - they are very good.I still also have my old RPGs - which are actually OK and on many occasions have been used as back ups.

Be interested to hear what you think as well.

Thanks for that Pete_The_Prospector we will give them a go next time we are out in the fields we were out for last week & still have not found a thing except bullets & scrap steel :( & we have been doing it for a year now so these settings may help :)

Where have you been detecting?

Finding bullets at depth is a sure sign you are doing the right thing.

Hi Folks,
An interesting point for those people who are fairly new and still coming to grips with the various settings on their ML5000's.
On the front panel: Deep-- General -- Custom; these are a group of indicative names that Minelab have assigned a set of factory presets as starting points for the various types of situations. Where some confusion occurs is that newer folk think that there is some magic applied to each of these settings built into the software/firmware in the control box; this is not the case.
If the operator were to apply the exact same group of settings to Deep ,General and all of the Custom titles they would all be identical in terms of detector performance; there are no built-in variations via the software to to change the performance of the detector.
Hope the above clears up any confusion.
Cheers, SinHof.

Latest posts