MINELAB F1A4 ex military metal detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MJB said:
My mate here at work just bought one of the Mod 2 F1A4 dtectors from Jack Lange. We went out the other day to try it out and although we found no gold it did pick up very small bits of wire and nails...it was screaming its head off over these targets. Neither of us have any idea on detecting but it seemed fairly straight forward and were up and running in no time. The price he payed was probably a little high considering you can find them on ebay for $600 which leads me to ask the question how much would it cost to do the upgrade mods to level 2 status? It seems a whopping profit is being made here by someone :eek:

They seem like good peices of kit and as ex army myself I know they would be built tough for a purpose. The army has a policy of auctioning equipment off once its been in service for a certain amount of time regardless of how much its been used. With these detectors, some may have been flogged to death in a training unit somewhere or some may have sat in the back of the Qstore only seeing the light of day when a count was done, hopefully if you buy one it was one of these :)

Thanks for the info guys, I will pass it on to my mate to help him out a bit.

Cheers

Did some research on pricing...so far the level 2 mods are quote:

Yes,we do mod F1A4 detectors to level 2, however because of demand,there is approximately 3 weeks wait after we receive your unit,estimated cost $1250.00 plus postage.

PM me if you want the details, these guys are in VIC.

So $600...ish for the Stock machine + say $1350 for courier/post + mods = $1950 all up.

Thanks twapster,

That is a bit of a saving over the price my mate paid for his ready to go unit. I think he forked out $2400 for his so a saving of $400 - $500 is pretty good.

Cheers,

Considering the fact that you can pickup a GP 3000 for around the same price very often on ebay, I'd say its a bad deal..

installing 2 extra frequency crystals, shorting some IC's and switching out a resistor for a pot wouldn't get you close to $500 let alone $1250..
You're basically paying for about $20-30 in parts, and the rest is "expertise" of the electronics engineer "IF" they are even qualified..

Not to mention the fact that if they bork your detector, You're not likely to get a replacement.

Yes I agree its a rort for someone who doesn't know how to do the mods. One day someone will post instructions and were all good!

Maybe one of these modders needs to sell a book on how to mod an F1A4 in your own backyard. I bet the book would sell really well!

Twapster said:
Yes I agree its a rort for someone who doesn't know how to do the mods. One day someone will post instructions and were all good!

Unlikely, although the guy at minelabmods.com posted his mods for the SD2000.

But hey, I can understand it.. everyone wants to make a couple extra $.. if they can do it selling mods, good on em.. I've done the crystal frequency mods on the F1A4 2000 and 2100 very simple modification, Can't say I'd ever charge someone $ to do it though.. aside from parts that is.

And soon enough well see a whole heap of half shot detectors if that goes through. Bit like the second hand car market is what i mean by that thanks to online forums and diy books. Sorry to be such a pessimist, but in saying that the niche here is you can get a pi on the ground running for not much, i guess that's the real win.

Goldtarget said:
And soon enough well see a whole heap of half shot detectors if that goes through. Bit like the second hand car market is what i mean by that thanks to online forums and diy books. Sorry to be such a pessimist, but in saying that the niche here is you can get a pi on the ground running for not much, i guess that's the real win.

I'm in agreement on that one.. I've worked with electronics for 15 years, and I haven't attempted anything other than a few of the simple mods..

My first PI detector was purchased from a guy on another forum it was listed as (unmodified)
When i got it, i spent 3 hours removing the rats nest of dodgy wiring.. DIY is a great thing, If you have a decent understanding of how it all works..

As i said, I've been working with electronics for 15 years, and yesterday i made a rookie mistake completely blew the arse out of my $3499 Oscilloscope.
Only takes a second to let that magic smoke out... it ain't easy putting it back in.

I did trailer rewiring and mods with a very experienced welder, we shared the workload, now I'm no electrical whizz but kid you not some of the half done and complicated pieces of snot i had to redo after some backyarder (and then his mate, and then his mate) had his go....well i shudder to think what someone like that would do. Even as a qualified painter some of the half done things I've seen by so called professionals....inexcusable. So your spot on Downhalo, in the right hands these are probably simple mods that do a fantastic job of adding great extra features which (possibly) translates into better gold hunting. But gee they're are some guys that can't tell a red wire from a white one....lol.

downhalo said:
Goldtarget said:

I'm in agreement on that one.. I've worked with electronics for 15 years, and I haven't attempted anything other than a few of the simple mods..

My first PI detector was purchased from a guy on another forum it was listed as (unmodified)
When i got it, i spent 3 hours removing the rats nest of dodgy wiring.. DIY is a great thing, If you have a decent understanding of how it all works..

As i said, I've been working with electronics for 15 years, and yesterday i made a rookie mistake completely blew the arse out of my $3499 Oscilloscope.
Only takes a second to let that magic smoke out... it ain't easy putting it back in.

Ouch, I sympathize with you. I know too well about magic smoke after working for some fourty years in electrical and then electronics industry. I'm bit old and my eyes are no good any more and my hands are not steady. That's why chose to buy new SPP instead of F1A4. I don't enjoy mucking with electronics any more.
Karl

You made the right call Karl..

I Got to have a play with one last Sunday, Its a brilliant machine, and for the price...amazing! .. my brother in law is over the moon with his purchase.

I'd love to add one to the collection, but I can do without .. for now lol.

Well im in the same boat, have a friend who's capable of doing the mods if he knew what to do (physics and electrical engineering background), however i think it easier to just send away and be done with it, Downhalo should I open her up and take some before and after shots?

I really can't believe that people are willing to pay up to $2400 for these but baulk at buying a SD2200 or GP series for around the same price. Not only are they proven gold machines, numerous times, but you can pick them up with loads of extras like different sized coils.
Up to $2400 for a modded F1A4 then add coils onto that (yes you will need coils - not much point having the mods then just using the stock 8"), good D cell rechargeables + spares, a good charging system for your D cells etc. your even getting close to a new ATX or SDC2300 territory.
I reckon a cheap F1A4,$500 or so, is a good way of getting a PI detector on a budget but when you start spending some of the figures being discussed here into perspective there are better options. Yes they have been shown to find gold but what sort of backup are you really going to get. Jacks website saying that the mods are done by a technician that doesn't advertise his services doesn't fill me with confidence! How reliable is the warranty provided? How much will they be charging for repairs that aren't covered by warranty - based on the cost of the mods it will be high.
I'd much prefer a new machine with a solid warranty or an older Minelab PI that is still able to be serviced by Minelab themselves, who are very cheap for servicing & repairs.
p.s. don't open the modded F1A4 control box for photos - the amount of hot glue in there may shock you :lol:

I'd take a couple before and after shots,

You can't really break anything, its just 6 screws on the front. take it easy popping the front cover off, (lots of connections up front) a really thin ribbon cable too..

Take some after shots, and you'll be able to do the mods yourself..

Twapster said:
Well im in the same boat, have a friend who's capable of doing the mods if he knew what to do (physics and electrical engineering background), however i think it easier to just send away and be done with it, Downhalo should I open her up and take some before and after shots?

Mbasko is correct about the hot glue... the guy will probably use a lot.. which is almost completely unnecessary...

Its basically to stop you opening it up and sharing the modders secrets! lol.

Can't see what he's done if its all covered it hot snot.

I've seen one off theses adaptors for the F1A4 for sale. I assume they will only work with mono coils as the original is mono and hasn't been modified for dd coils. My question is it worth just buying the adaptor and not worry about at the mods for DD and mono coils. The price is $143.00 delivered
1403328920__57.jpg

Unfortunately, the way the original coil is wired, they can only work with Mono coils

R-B pin 1

B-Y pin 2

Its easier and will cost you $$140 less.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP2017 PLUS http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS2018

Simple mod..

If you want a diagram of pin layout Just ask..

Now that's just my opinion on the coil plug mod I say DO IT! but.. If you'd rather not modify the detector, then that adapter is a good option.. WAY over priced. the 5 pin chassis with shield is like $21 from RS...

anyway GL.

I've actually got a couple of the plugs, i should make a couple of those things..

Thanks downhalo for the feedback, I thought the price might have been alright after hearing how much some of the mods cost, but I was wrong. Some good money being made out there for anyone with some electronics knowledge. Unfortunately it wont be me, my knowledge of anything electrical stops at the car battery. :/