Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
loamer said:
Ben78 said:
Would a 5000 with a DD on 'normal' really not be as effective as a SD?

I stated that the 2200D with a DD is equal to anything with a mono on. It was to highlight for a potential user/buyer that it is a great detector and in certain conditions equal to a newer detector. I also ask myself - how many mono users actually carry a DD in a day-pack when out detecting? Unless of course they detect within cooee of a vehicle like most people I see and then its a mute point. Want gold? Go bush.

I do.

oh dear. I wonder if its the bloke who was on ebay (twice recently ) that Mozzie and I had some fun with? Would not supply serial numbers and stated some nonsense excuse. To be fair though its states "LIKE SOLD IN RETAIL STORES".

I received an email from the seller saying it was a present but he needs quick money to pay a bill...I returned the email asking for a serial no and a different person sent me a picture of the bottom half of an invoice with a serial no. and a little note as follows...

Hi,i have attached the pictures with the Detector's Serial Number ,is 100% authentic,my best offer is $2200(posting included) for it so if you will agree to buy ,i will contact Fast ORange Post for creating an invoice with all details displayed on it(payment,shipping,refund options) ,more details will be displayed on their invoice ,you will receive the product as described,the payment will be sent to an Fast ORange agent by bank transfer safely and secured ,he will keep the funds until you will receive and inspect the product,a tracking number will be provided along with the shipping receipt,everything will be legit and secured,so let me know thanks...

8) 8) 8)

Life is like a box a chocolates
online buying is a whole other kettle a fish
Paypal or forget it, nobody is gonna sell almost $7000.00 worth of detector for that price, but if u can risk $2200.00 your gamble...

I have no intentions of buying this,just thought I would put it up to let everyone know how the scam(as far as I am concerned) is panning out...

A serial number on a receipt means nothing, you need a picture of the serial number on the actual machine, the receipt could be from another detector. If they refuse photos or to see it in person before purchasing, I would steer clear.
Fast ORange post, never heard of it? :|

Goldpick said:
A serial number on a receipt means nothing, you need a picture of the serial number on the actual machine, the receipt could be from another detector. If they refuse photos or to see it in person before purchasing, I would steer clear.
Fast ORange post, never heard of it? :|
Good advice. One scam I had seen on EBay, for a "brand new in box" GPX5000, the seller gave me a serial number that was initially verified by Minelab. Minelab later contacted me for further details of the sale, which I passed on, as they said the serial number came from an earlier GPX5000 that had been sold in 2011. They obviously knew something was amiss but don't know what they did to follow it through just that it was promptly removed from EBay soon after giving Minelab the details. If you can't see the detector in person I would steer clear of buying 2nd hand unless from a reputable dealer. The scammers have lots of tricks up their sleeves & unfortunately it makes it hard for genuine people wanting to sell theirs.

thanks all for the replys I think I will go for a 705 as easy to learn on I hope.what else would I need ie headphones etc

Thanks to all for your advice to thebeans...as a newby myself I have been trashing the same issues over & over and the replys have answered alot of questions... and as Tassie Daz said....its what my budget can stretch to.

Keep up the great advice guys.... It's experience you all share thats gold.

Ed ;)

So i know that there is a ton of people asking much the same thing on the forum but i thought i would pose the questions:

If you had $1500 to get into this hobby what would you choose as your first detector and why?
What other things would you need to get into the hobby?
Should i look into buying maps and books or use google earth and google maps for homework before heading out into the field?
Should i look at a specific size coil or anything like that?

Im interested in gold more than any thing, relics and coins well not so much. Ive seen the Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMT, Garrett AT Gold and a number of used Minelab 2000-2200 SD and GP series detectors used also in or around my budget, I want to steer away from anything from china unless its for beach combing. That said i go out and come home with a bounty then a GPX 5000 might just be on the cards....its nice to dream ;)

Am i wrong in seeing Minelab as the Rolex of the detector world?

What part of the country are you in?
Are you going to have to travel for gold detecting?
Are you more interested in beach or park detecting with a little bit of gold on the side?

If gold is what you are after and you live in the goldfields I'd prob get a SD2200 or a Whites TDI Pro
If beaches and parks are your thing with a little bit of gold I'd look at a Whites MXT
If beaches and parks are your thing with a side interest in gold I'd get a Fisher F75 LTD, a Whites V3i or a Minelab Etrac and hire a 5000 for the weekends you want to look for gold.

What else do you need, a Lesche digger for parks and a pin pointer (Garrett Minelab or Whites), a pick and kneepads if you are chasing gold only

Just my opinions, based on a couple of years of beach, park and gold detecting!

That said, for $800-1000 you can buy a schmick coin detector eg At Pro, Fisher F75 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer whatever and have cash leftover for the digging tools and pinpointer and fuel money

i live in Melbourne some 2-3 hours from the golden triangle and about 2hrs from walhalla in the south east, so im sort of in between the gold fields of Victoria. I plan to use the detector for gold only at this point and also thinking a pan for riverbeds just for fun, if i find i am getting gold i am happy to shell out the $6500 for a top of the line minelab but at this point i just want something that will get me out there and looking and something with a bit of quality to it so im not just wasting my money.The whites GMT just seems to stand out at this point. The models i have mentioned seem to be the go and a minelab 2200 would be my top choice. Just a shame im 8 months from getting home yet but i know gold fever wont leave me as ive had it for years now just haven't had the funds to support it.

Latest posts