Legend target sound with coil bump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Took the Legend out on its maiden voyage yesterday to the Golden Triangle.
I only found lead shot but the guys on the monsters found some gold (luck of the draw lol).
I did notice an issue with both of my stock pro pack coils. I was running in goldfield mode at 25 sensitivity and every time coil came into contact with anything, be that the ground, a pebble, small twig, shrub etc. it would sound off like there was a target.
I've only ever used PI machines and never had this issue so not sure if this is normal or not.
It was very time consuming and I'm sure by having to lift the coil higher that I normally would that I was sacrificing some depth.
It also didn't matter if I was in SMF, 20 or 40.
Is this normal behaviour with the Legend or have I got a faulty unit or coils?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t say I’ve noticed any bump sensitivity with any of my Legend coils. Make sure your coil cable is fully inserted and tight at the connection. You need to push it home as you tighten the nut. If that is ok, then maybe a coil issue.... Strange that both coils do it though.

Hi guys,

Took the Legend out on its maiden voyage yesterday to the Golden Triangle.
I only found lead shot but the guys on the monsters found some gold (luck of the draw lol).
I did notice an issue with both of my stock pro pack coils. I was running in goldfield mode at 25 sensitivity and every time coil came into contact with anything, be that the ground, a pebble, small twig, shrub etc. it would sound off like there was a target.
I've only ever used PI machines and never had this issue so not sure if this is normal or not.
It was very time consuming and I'm sure by having to lift the coil higher that I normally would that I was sacrificing some depth.
It also didn't matter if I was in SMF, 20 or 40.
Is this normal behaviour with the Legend or have I got a faulty unit or coils?
I have a Whites GMZ and have had the same issue. It was a known thing with VLF detectors back in the days before PI detectors became common. The coil is picking up some slight cable movement that is a reaction of the bump and triggering the machine. Put a nylon ‘P’ clip on the cable and attach it to the bolt that secures the coil to the shaft. Also do not coil or loosely wrap the cable around the lower shaft - have a straight cable secured with velcro tapes.
Good luck

Latest posts