Job Networking: Looking for staff or looking for a job?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uncle Bob said:
Yeah it all sucks.
I'm working in Bega at the moment and we're getting a new hospital here and most of the workers at this stage are Irish.
As outback has said these 457 visas are not helping especially in small towns like Bega

These 457 visas are a problem for us Aussies :(

The ABC has revealed that thousands of Indian students, skilled workers and 457 visa holders have been admitted to Australia on dodgy travel and work documents.

Briefings prepared by the Immigration Department and obtained by the ABC's Fact Check Unit under Freedom of Information show out-of-control, large-scale fraud of the visa system.

The internal audits show fraud rates approaching 50 per cent, and an Immigration Department struggling to properly identify people who are entering the country.

gcause said:
One piece of advice when going for a job is not to use your standard resume but to tailor it specifically for the job you are going for. So highlight the skills that are most useful to that role. It's still the same standard resume but you put an emphasis in the overview on the previous roles that relate to the new one.

Also don't forget to highlight your 'soft' skills i.e. Those skills that make you get on with people, verbal and written communications, being able to teach or mentor someone on the job.

Always write a cover letter also it's another opportunity to show how good your communications skills are.
Just to add to that I've got a few gaps in my resume where i was off work for various reasons and have found that a skills based resume rather than a chronological resume really helps. Ive got the different types of roles that display distinct skills grouped together and have found this has more impact than the standard. It also helps to show that you have read the selection criteria and have tailored your resume to the criteria outlined in the job posting. If anyone is curious a quick look on google should suffice but if you have trouble finding anything or would like more info i can dig some up and happy to forward mine as a template to work from.

Good luck to all the job seekers here.

EDIT: Here is a link to reddit (I assume thats allowed? if not let me know and ill take it down) where a couple of professional resume writers field questions that i found to be quite informative

EDIT2: Ok turns out i cant post a link til i have a few more posts. If youre interested either go to reddit and search for:

"We are professional and published resume writers in the US that specialize in perfecting resumes to landing people interviews. We're here for the next 12 hours. Ask Us Anything"

or send me a PM and ill send back the link

Nugget said:
Of course there are jobs out there but the problem job seekers are facing at the moment is an over saturated market, what this means is instead of competing with say 10 people for a job, you're now up against 50+. I've heard of some local positions having 500+ applications :eek:

Just in the last 3 weeks alone I've applied for over 15 jobs and emailed my resume to another 7 or so companies. I've also been applying interstate despite me not being keen on leaving my family. I did have one company interested in hiring me as soon as things pick up, but they have since laid several blokes off due to lack of work.

In the last few months I've spent over $5k re-ticketing / re-skilling to help my chances, I just hope it all pays off in the end.

What job are you looking for nugget?

luckily I have a job but have been looking for change in career for over 12 months(as a Printer I think my job will be obsolete within the next 2 years), Nuggets right with the amount of applicants per job, Ive had bad luck replies with 1000 -5000 applicants, got down to last couple a few times but just depends on if the future manager likes you or not even though your skills may be ok (felt if I came from the Sub continent I may have had a chance). Nugget, you are on the right track in re-skilling and ticketing , good luck.

dwt said:
Nugget said:
Of course there are jobs out there but the problem job seekers are facing at the moment is an over saturated market, what this means is instead of competing with say 10 people for a job, you're now up against 50+. I've heard of some local positions having 500+ applications :eek:

Just in the last 3 weeks alone I've applied for over 15 jobs and emailed my resume to another 7 or so companies. I've also been applying interstate despite me not being keen on leaving my family. I did have one company interested in hiring me as soon as things pick up, but they have since laid several blokes off due to lack of work.

In the last few months I've spent over $5k re-ticketing / re-skilling to help my chances, I just hope it all pays off in the end.

What job are you looking for nugget?

I'm actually moving away from IT (mostly out of it now) and have been training / re-skilling to work in the Mobile Crane industry.

I've done the C6 Crane and Dogman tickets, unrestricted HR licence as well as a few others (EWP, Forklift, Construction White Card etc), but I'm now looking for someone to give me a start in the industry.

The plan is to upgrade the C6 Crane ticket (60 tonne) to an open ticket and the HR to HC once eligible.

At the moment I'm applying for all kinds of labouring and trade assistant work to try and at least get myself back into the mining and / or construction industry until things start to pickup. I did this kind of work for several years before moving into IT.

Interesting Nugget that you are moving away from IT. I have spent over a month advertising for IT position offering 85k to 105k, (no takers or interest) my second month of advertising with the offer of 110k to 120k attracted 3 applicants and only one suitable. Where are all the IT people?1

Had a chuckle the other day, applied for a job and they told me I would need a degree, quite rudely. I pointed out that the position had remained unfilled for nearly a year and had relevant experience. Some employers can't see the obvious, Id take ambitious seasoned guys over educated never dones but i guess that's the way of the world. I've employed people before, a good or even great worker doesn't always have the best resume or education, alot of people aren't built that way. Thankfully i have a trade I'm looking at get back into whilst heading back to the books unless i can land an opportunity shortly. Aside from that and out of curiosity is there much demand for welding out there in general? Been toying with the idea to add to my skill set for a while, multi discipline of course.

Try finding work in the Latrobe Valley when you are pushing 50 and riddled with Arthritis, I only know construction work (Welder by trade) which I cannot do so where dose that leave me! Centrelink has me doing cert 2 in Retail wtf Who would approach me with my smile that has Rotten teeth and bad breath lol..

I would like to know the stats of how many of our kids leave school per year to the amount of immigrants that are given the privilege to work here. :mad:

Are the immigrants of today any different to the immigrants post WW2, me thinks not. They still do all the jobs that Aussies don't want to do and only the other day on the ABC radio, it was reported that over 40% of all benefit payments are for people with disabilities, that's a lot of sick or disabled people and someone has to do the work that they cannot. Just sayin!
Cheers
Mackka

joe said:
Interesting Nugget that you are moving away from IT. I have spent over a month advertising for IT position offering 85k to 105k, (no takers or interest) my second month of advertising with the offer of 110k to 120k attracted 3 applicants and only one suitable. Where are all the IT people?1

That surprises me, top paying IT jobs around my area are paying nowhere near those figures, if you can pick up $50-60k around here you're doing well.

The main reason for the career change was the continuous study and upkeep that goes with IT. Since the birth of the young bloke I decided that I no longer wanted to spend my evenings playing around with server configs, researching tomorrows project or studying the forever changing software and technology just to stay current. If I was earning 100K+ it might have been a different story but in the Hunter there are far better paying jobs that aren't so taxing on your personal time.

I think IT jobs up here are around 100 K I Get $78K as a labourer :p Day work only :) I could move underground and get 100K with shift work

I seen a IT job in the emails a few weeks back .

Interesting Nugget that you are moving away from IT. I have spent over a month advertising for IT position offering 85k to 105k, (no takers or interest) my second month of advertising with the offer of 110k to 120k attracted 3 applicants and only one suitable. Where are all the IT people?

Oh we're around but hard to get hold of :)

Colmaca said:
I think IT jobs up here are around 100 K I Get $78K as a labourer :p Day work only :) I could move underground and get 100K with shift work

I seen a IT job in the emails a few weeks back .

That would be for top level IT jobs in more corporate environments Colmaca, unfortunately not all IT jobs pay that much :p

Mackka said:
Are the immigrants of today any different to the immigrants post WW2, me thinks not. They still do all the jobs that Aussies don't want to do and only the other day on the ABC radio, it was reported that over 40% of all benefit payments are for people with disabilities, that's a lot of sick or disabled people and someone has to do the work that they cannot. Just sayin!
Cheers
Mackka

Gday Mackka No they are not but how can we support a growing population when there are not enough jobs for us. Im not on disability nor do I want to be but I know of a lot of people that are and are capable of working, It pisses me off when I go to centrelink and see the amount of losers that are Drug ^$#@#$.

I love researching our history although its only young....

No I would think the dude that comes and swaps my Pc to Windows 7 gets near 100K up year . since I get 78K as labourer :p

The general PC repairer is on about $30-$40k a year give or take a few $$.

Nugget said:
joe said:

That surprises me, top paying IT jobs around my area are paying nowhere near those figures, if you can pick up $50-60k around here you're doing well.

The main reason for the career change was the continuous study and upkeep that goes with IT. Since the birth of the young bloke I decided that I no longer wanted to spend my evenings playing around with server configs, researching tomorrows project or studying the forever changing software and technology just to stay current. If I was earning 100K+ it might have been a different story but in the Hunter there are far better paying jobs that aren't so taxing on your personal time.

Understand - for ever keeping up with technology is draining , I couldn't get a person of the street as an entry level with 3 months practice for 50-60k here in Canberra if I wanted to. Council workers turning lolly pop on the side of the road get more. Couple of weeks ago met two Irish backpackers in a cafe heading for QLD mining company driving trucks with no experience for 100k - I guess we are in the wrong business.

Latest posts