If we could detect gold at twice the depth how much gold would we find

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldpick said:
I think there will be a lot of people dying from heart attacks, trying to dig holes deep enough to reach the targets at that depth! When going that deep, you really have to ask the question on whether it is an act of mining vs fossicking/prospecting. Besides, even if you could get that deep, you would have to construct a mini open cut just to get the coil in, or to retrieve the target. ;)

That's actually a very good point.

Plus I'm not sure I could handle anything more than 30-50cm.

Just imagine the strike rate for gold at those sort of depths, you'd feel pretty knackered after digging a metre deep hole just to find a buried horse shoe. :lol: Fair enough if you are shifting some surface cover to expose a reef to detect (I should be so lucky), but to dig out a solitary target at that depth to me would seem pretty impractical. You would want to hope it's the cousin of the Welcome Stranger nugget.

Most of those box coil setups are for cache finding vs single gold targets.

thanks for the replies. :) Some interesting responses and good points. It is crazy to think how deep one would have to dig for the huge nuggets and of course potential junk but at the same time I suppose If you've gone down a meter plus and find yourself moving through undisturbed ground it'd be difficult to give up on a dig knowing there's little chance it's junk. I do think the additional depth would be great for the smaller nuggets in the 2 gram and under size range as it seems 6-12" is as deep as I'm able to detect these smaller bits at present. I'd be more than happy to dig down 20" for a solid 2 grammer but with the inaccurate discrimination of our current detectors I can see the disappointment that might follow constantly retrieving junk so far down :|

you would know within 1ft if ur digging virgin ground. Victoria and NSW and Qld would be more difficult to interpret

Latest posts