How to protect top of coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Was watching a video of a sdc 2300
And noticed the dirt and scratches
On top of the coil.

It then triggered my memory.

You can actaully buy peelable clear
Paint in a spray can. Basically spray
On a couple thick layers and the paint
sticks To the surface.

When you need to remove just peel
Paint off and your surface has been
Protected.

I don't think I'd be spraying it on mine, I think it would take a long time to wear the top out on a coil, it feels quite robust. The demo SDC in the shop looked well used and still no issues with it.

I like to take care of my stuff and for resale value its a
Good way to protect it. Its amazing how it works.

You need to spray it on thick though otherwise would be
Hard to peel off if its thin.

Thanks for replying.

Wolfau said:
Was watching a video of a sdc 2300
And noticed the dirt and scratches
On top of the coil.

It then triggered my memory.

You can actaully buy peelable clear
Paint in a spray can. Basically spray
On a couple thick layers and the paint
sticks To the surface.

When you need to remove just peel
Paint off and your surface has been
Protected.

Do you or does anybody know the name of this spray paint?? :|

Just be careful it does not void your manufacturers warranty. Or compromise performance of your machine, have you used it on any of your coils Wolf?

Goldpick said:
Is it the spray packs of Plasti-dip, the rubberised type of coating for most surfaces?

That's the one Goldpick. Performix Plasti Dip. The can colour is a royal blue mixed in with yellow and I purchased the clear

which has a frosty clear spray can cover.

I purchased mine from Autobarn and the idea behind this post is trying to help anyone interested.

It is basically spray on plastic.

So my disclaimer to you is use at your own risk and test it before using it. One bit of advice don't spray it on thin otherwise

its hard to peel off. Might be a good solution as well for the bottom of a coil such as my Garrett Sea Hunter

which needs to be epoxied now and then since no coil covers are available unless I am mistaken here.

Coils should be made in white not blue and not green and not black because the scratches are more easily noticeable on

these colours. The product might be handy as well for the ATX coils. Anyway each to their own.

Its easy to buy something. Its harder to sell it. So if you take care of your stuff then when it comes down to reselling it

it should not be as difficult. I was even of thinking of making thick stickers and selling these to place on top since this is

what I do. Hope this helps.

A guy on the hyosung forum did most of his bike with that product. came up great.can be sprayed over to build up the depth of product any time. guys on another :eek: forum use the spray product for cargo area of utes etc,is a harder surface. it is like the old sound deadener we used to use. :D there's a point, does a coil cover cause any depth,sensitivity issues ?

Jaros said:
I don't think a fraction of a millimeter will affect the sensitivity of the coil. Tis only plastic. Thanks for the product advice.
:/

Your welcome and good luck with it.

Jaros said:
I don't think a fraction of a millimeter will affect the sensitivity of the coil. Tis only plastic. Thanks for the product advice.
HI J. yes that's what you'd think. I guess if you wanna be really cheap, mbe a couple of layers of Gladwrap, nes' pa ? :lol:

slipped disc said:
Jaros said:
HI J. yes that's what you'd think. I guess if you wanna be really cheap, mbe a couple of layers of Gladwrap, nes' pa ? :lol:

That's another good idea actually.

You could always cut to shape some vinyl decal material, and apply it to the top. Sure it will wear out over time, but is easily replaceable and will save scratching the coil. Probably didn't apply any decals to the top surface due to its underwater capability, but should be fine for dry detecting, and cheap.

Goldpick said:
You could always cut to shape some vinyl decal material, and apply it to the top. Sure it will wear out over time, but is easily replaceable and will save scratching the coil. Probably didn't apply any decals to the top surface due to its underwater capability, but should be fine for dry detecting, and cheap.

This is what I do and I did think about making these and selling them :)

Wolfau said:
slipped disc said:
Jaros said:

That's another good idea actually.
REALLY ???? errrr, plastic bags ?

g'day
it would pay to check that plasti-dip spray is not petroleum based or you'll void your warranty.
regards

trashmagnet said:
g'day
it would pay to check that plasti-dip spray is not petroleum based or you'll void your warranty.
regards

I think it is. Where does it state this info on the Minelab website?

Latest posts