Hilux or Nissan navara which is better

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They all have faults, try the 4*4 groups to see what people are breaking.
Of course there are those who have great examples of each brand with few problems.
And there are those who forget the problems due to brand loyalty.
It's injectors & diff for toyota, clutch damping for pajero, exhaust on a friends pathfinder, etc, etc and every problem seems to be $2000 plus.
My family has a 105 cruiser, hilux (1 petrol,1 diesel), pathfinder and pajero. I recon the best low speed crawl off road is the 105, best highway cruise pajero.
Heaviest fuel is the petrol hilux then the 105. lowest cruise power non turbo diesel pathfinder.
Workout what you want to do first.

slowflow makes a valid point they are all developing more faults as the designers push that envelope for that last bit of performance without affecting the price but hurting the quality.
I'd stick with the Toyo myself, but its really up to the individual.Lets know watch you decide.
Bulldog. :p

mainly highway so after comfort more than any thing cruise control for busted ankle is a must and 4wd diesel duel cab so I can take wife and kids :)

I have a 2001 dual cab Navara. Its the old 3.2 litre diesel (no turbo) so is a bit scared of hills but otherwise goes well. Done 250, 000km so far without any major issues - 130k of that in the last 5 & a bit years. Good to travel in & I can't complain after originally wanting a Hilux or Rodeo. Got it cause it was cheaper & it had all the goodies on it like bullbar, snorkel, canopy etc.
My diesel mechanic always tells me not to sell it & upgrade to a newer model though. Reckons I'd be disappointed & will probably get more trouble free km's out of the old girl than a newer one. He's seen a few issues with them he says. Don't want to scratch & dint up a newie like mine is so I'm keeping it until she dies now - perfect for prospecting as I'm not too worried about scratches etc. now :p

Hmm.. Navara interior wont last ten years without falling to bits, very basic looking cab and corny chrome bits, the 2.5 is a little rocket but there are issues with it.
Toyota also has problems with injector seals and one of my workmates had a faulty ecu and ended up trading it for a new prado.

If your buying second hand i would look at a previous shape hilux with a 3l turbo diesel.
Quality japanese built, much more comfortable interior and quality seats, dash etc. No fancy commonrail or ecu's.

I own a 1989 Patrol with a 4.2 turbo diesel dinasour.
It will be still driving long after these new korean 4cyl diesels give up.

I had an 1987 2.4 diesel Hilux and you couldn't kill it and the only reason I got rid of it was because of rust...It had 430000 k's when I traded it in...
I traded it on a 3l turbo Navara that now has 200000 k's...I did a Turbo at 140000 and a clutch at 160000 but other than that it seems to be fine...I have recently chipped it,blanked of all pollution gear and put a 3" exhaust on it and it is a new ute once again...I have recently been looking at a new BT50 but they only offered me 6g's for it so I will keep it until it's broke...When I first bought it Nissan warranty and customer service was terrible...

Cheers...Sparra

What about Ford Ranger? I agree with the previous comments about the older Hi-lux's were indestructible. I use to have one. One of my employees has Navara diessel and it guzzles. He had few issues with it as well when he brought it brand new.

I would go Hi-Lux then Triton then anything other than a Navara seems Nissan can't fix the inj issue blowing smoke on a couple of their rigs (pathfinder navara )
cheers
Lee

Or the BT 50, just got one and love it :D had a 97 Hilux. My parents have Nissan great on the highway but don't like the higher gear ratio for 4x4 driving . I drive the hilux's at work just not the same as they used to be 8.(

Goldandsand said:
Or the BT 50, just got one and love it :D had a 97 Hilux. My parents have Nissan great on the highway but don't like the higher gear ratio for 4x4 driving . I drive the hilux's at work just not the same as they used to be 8.(

That's because they are not built in japan anymore, they have a much cheaper feel to them.

rc62burke said:
I would go Hi-Lux then Triton then anything other than a Navara seems Nissan can't fix the inj issue blowing smoke on a couple of their rigs (pathfinder navara )
cheers
Lee
I know the older Navara diesels with mechanical injector pumps can get this problem (blowing smoke) & the common cause is a small mesh screen/filter in the injector. Periodically cleaned they will run like new again.
Electronic injection is a different story - have heard it can be a pain to track down & even a faulty position switch on the gearbox can cause it?

I don't really like any of the new age 4WD's with the common rail diesels. They pretty much all have issues with injectors, pumps, blockages etc etc etc, and it all usually happens just after the warranty runs out - injector pumps are big $$$. Worst 4WD I've used was the D40 with the 2.5l, piece of crap! All sorts of issues with the engine, injectors, ABS sensors lines poorly designed and mounted right in the way of stones flicked up by front wheels (have to buy the whole sensor at $250 a pop), one bit of crap in the fuel and it goes into limp home mode, cracks appeared on the inside front guards due to excessive chassis flex, woefully under braked, ABS would always cut in with only mild braking, you had to ride the clutch if pulling a load due to no low down torque, worn clutches very common on these cars, bonnet latch snapped off due to being welded to the very thin bonnet bracing - whole bonnet was replaced, and so on. Quite a list. :rolleyes:

You are better off with the older and lighter 3l D22 if anything in the Nissan range.

Some friends I know ended up buying the V6 Hilux due to the constant issues with the modern common rail diesels, will probably outlast them too. None of these cars are made with longevity in mind anymore, more akin to weekend recreational vehicles if anything.

If I were going to remote areas, I'd seriously look at a vehicle that was built pre-Spanish(D40) or Thai(Hilux) that you can actually fix without requiring a factory technician to reset the ECU for when your engine goes into limp home mode on top of a sand dune. They simply don't compare to the older Japanese made 4WD's.

Reminds me when we had the D40, first 10 minutes onto the Strzelecki Track, and both rear ABS sensor cables had been chewed to pieces by all the stones flicked up by the front wheels. Some idiot decided to design it so the delicate cables ran over the front of the rear axle, making them prone to pretty much everything. The result was engine warning light, all digital displays showing 4WD indicator etc went blank. Nissan replaced them free of charge, so I guess that was an admission of guilt re poor design.

If I had to chose, I'd go Hilux over Navara, there are simply more issues that crop up on complaints sites about the Nav over the Hilux to be of comfort.

I hate to say it, but HiLux's are better, only because they have a live front axle, as the Nav has Independent Front Suspension which means they can only be lifted by 2" without major surgery, a mate of mine had a nav and swapped to a 80 series cruiser.

Regards,
Paul

paul_mac1 said:
I hate to say it, but HiLux's are better, only because they have a live front axle, as the Nav has Independent Front Suspension which means they can only be lifted by 2" without major surgery, a mate of mine had a nav and swapped to a 80 series cruiser.

Regards,
Paul

Not sure what year your living in. Hilux has had IFS for around 17 years

Reeks said:
paul_mac1 said:

Regards,
Paul

Ah ok, another mate had a hilux which had a 4 inch lift, must have spent some money on it then

I have a hilux. My father has a navara
Both turbo diesel. Both about 5 years old.
Hilux. 10.2 km per/L
Navara 8.7 km per/L
Both drive well on the road.
Off road the hilux tropms the navara.
Or I'm just a better driver than my dad.
Hope that helps a little.

paul_mac1 said:
Reeks said:
paul_mac1 said:

Regards,
Paul

Ah ok, another mate had a hilux which had a 4 inch lift, must have spent some money on it then

lots of older Hilux models have been fitted with landcruiser solid axle suspensions front and rear or various other front ends

suspension lifts of 4 and 6 inch have been done but i think they lower the transfer case or use a drop box to avoid the problems associated with extreme driveshaft angle

6 inch suspension lift , 2 inch body lift on 33 inch tyres and you would need a stepladder to climb aboard

Latest posts