Hi all,

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many think panning is only for gold.
Started my panning when a kid in suburban Melbourne in Gardiners Creek alongside the East Malvern golf links. Those days finding and reselling lost golf balls was the way to make a bit of pocket money.
Bought myself a gold pan as was keen to see if the creek held anything interesting. Never did see any gold in the creek, but the heavies looked quite interesting and got me on the path.
That pan travelled with me in the back of my car for many years until one day panning in the Yarra and having just panned off a nice tail of gold, I turned my back on it to get my gold phial and when I turned around again my gold pan with its precious load was last seen floating away towards Melbourne.
Keep your pan with you always and whenever you see an accessible creek give it a go. Doesn't matter whether it's a known gold field or not, you just never know what you might find.

Last edited:
Many think panning is only for gold.
Started my panning when a kid in suburban Melbourne in Gardiners Creek alongside the East Malvern golf links. Those days finding and reselling lost golf balls was the way to make a bit of pocket money.
Bought myself a gold pan as was keen to see if the creek held anything interesting. Never did see any gold in the creek, but the heavies looked quite interesting and got me on the path.
That pan travelled with me in the back of my car for many years until one day panning in the Yarra and having just panned off a nice tail of gold, I turned my back on it to get my gold phial and when I turned around again my gold pan with its precious load was last seen floating away towards Melbourne.
Keep your pan with you always and whenever you see an accessible creek give it a go. Doesn't matter whether it's a known gold field or not, you just never know what you might find.
Cheers for that info I'll always keep and eye on my pan haha don't wanna loose it would end the day really quick😂 I'll be checking where I can thanks

Latest posts