Help Identifying Gold-Like material.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I have recently moved from Vic to QLD and have been visiting the Warwick fields to continue my passion for finding gold. I have recently purchased a Cobbers Crusher and have been running rock through it. I have found some flakes that look like gold, but definitely different from the gold I have found in the area.
Attached is a picture of it in my sieve and how it sits, it rises to the top when I shake the sieve. Also, a picture of it beside some gold pieces I have found in the same area. In water it is definitely lighter and kind of "float" sinks.
I have poked it with a tiny screwdriver and it bends around the point, but doesn't really hold its shape. I thought maybe the crusher is pounding silica dust into the gold it and "diluting" it or maybe some kind of gold/copper alloy.

At a loss nonetheless, thought I'd reach out here and ask as I am finding a fair bit of it.

Cheers for any info,
Bent2bits

Attachments

• What is this stuff.png
    What is this stuff.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • what is this 2.jpg
    what is this 2.jpg
    13 MB · Views: 2
I reckon it'll just turn out to be valueless pyrites, mate. We get asked about it regularly:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/new-to-the-forum-and-to-gold.41850/#post-674393
Thanks for commenting :) Defs doesn't act like Pyrite, bends under pressure, and color is stable bright orange yellow regardless of angle or lighting. Looks like a metal under 30X loupe, but I don't know of any other metal that is this orange/yellow. Might have to try an acid test on a piece of it.

Is this the stuff that you're talking about in that crushed sample above?
View attachment 12023
View attachment 12024
Just the bright orange ones, the first pic you have there is grass or a stick or something. But the ones in the glass jar are bent by my screwdriver, they were flat like those flakes in the sieve when I recovered them.

Attachments

• What is this stuff.png
    What is this stuff.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • What is this stuff2.jpg
    What is this stuff2.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 0
If they dont dissolve in brick acid or melt when you put a butane flame on them ( jet cigarette lighter) I would say gold. If it has been beaten wafer thin like gold leaf then it will float-sink if it gets any oil on it

Latest posts