ground noise vs gold noise

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone, been up talbot way doing some detecting, i have just started detecting and got a gpx 4500. this was my second time detecting.
just a few questions on ground noise, i have read on the forum that u go low and slow and to listen for noises. after i have ground balanced i still notice some noise coming through as i swing, or rub a weed. is the sound of gold quiet distinctive? what should i be listening for?. I know it comes with practice but any help would be appreciated. i have found heaps of nails and bullets. thanks.

If your finding bullets( lead ) then you can probably find gold , assuming it is there...:)

Oh ... And yes they still make a bit of noise after gb... And shrubs and such will give you signal to make sure you know you hit it....:)

The coil noise is two possible things.

1. Coil strike - you are hitting something which can cause a vibration through the coil. Check the lead is connected correctly to the detector, you are looking for loose connections. This does happen quite a lot - the coils are very sensitive.
2. You will always get electro static discharge as you are rubbing a plastic coil along the ground and it will build up. This is nothing to worry about and yes it can make you stop in your tracks. You will also get EMI (check the manual how to control this) Also power lines, electric fences etc etc.

Ground noise - if you are using a mono on the 4500 they are still susceptible to ground noise, pockets of hot ground, red clays and the like. If big enough, you will also be hearing hot rocks. The difference? Ground noise will not usually be an even response both ways on your swing. If in doubt - dig. Dig a round scrape about the same size as the coil - don't lower the coil in the hole but keep it level with the ground. If the response is the same or moved to one side, its probably ground noise. You will get used to ground noise/hot ground and yes, it takes some time getting used to. I use a 4500 and I swear that some ground noises are a sweet sound and then gone.

Lead is a good sign - gold sounds very similar. It is a good thing to ground balance regularly and with the quick balance button, it is now very quick. Remember, the ground type can change quickly so if the 4500 even gets a little bit cranky - GB it.

You may need to play with the 4500s settings if it gets too noisy. If you are using a mono, switch over to a DD for a while. There is no magic settings as all ground is different- check the manual against the coil type.

The sound of gold - you cannot miss it - depending on your settings, you should get a high -low sound on your sweep. The first sound I get I first off wipe the suspect area with my boot - if its gone, I move on. If its still there I take another swipe into the first layer of soil/loam. Gone? Move on. If its in the hard compact ground - dig it. Yes, you will miss buttons etc but you will spend a lot more time actually swinging. These rules dont apply to mullock heaps as the throw outs could actually be close to the surface.

No two detectors will sound the same and it will take time to get to know your 4500. Good luck.

Another type of sound that can be miss interpreted, and walked away from is a large broad almost deep groan. It can be heard almost halfway across your swing. If you step 90deg's to the swing and get the same sound it can be a deep larger target. This will be a very different sound to your usual defined beep beep as you swing over the same spot. Never walk away from a sound like this until you have investigated it further. False signals in this situation can be caused by an unstable ground balance or what is known as a clay dome or a pocket of highly mineralised ground. Often this latter type of signal disappears once you swing at 90 deg's. Always take dirt away until the sound comes in louder. A deep target may not give a proper signal until you have gone down quite some distance. Also remember in this situation to start with a big wide hole. Picture at least a rubbish bin lid. Dont leave sharp edges on the side of the hole as this can upset the signal response. Sometimes you will see a patch of red clay come out of the hole then the signal vanishes. This is what is known as a clay dome. When the clay is broken up the signal is gone. I shouldn't have to say this but I will. When you are digging and a signal disappears make sure you go thoroughly over your throw outs and surrounding area, just in case you got a bit exited and threw a nugget out.

hi
There's some great advice there.
I think you should check any sound that is repeatable in the same spot regardless of what type of sound it is as there's so many variables, the sounds can be different but always in the same spot (if it moves around rebalance your machine)
also rebalancing on the dirt you pull out of the hole can get rid of clay domes with less digging.

regards trashmagnet

Hi Kirkin,
You don't mention whether you have a manual with your 4500?
Here is a PDF link you can use to download and print out a booklet to carry with you. There is important information enclosed so read it, read it and again.
Identify every target even the ones that are moved with a scrape of your boot, (maybe a sunbaker.)
Use a sub grammer nugget or lead and practice pin pointing.
Always use the 90 method when pinpointing, ie: Come in at two angles to pinpoint your target. Many stories are told about the difficulty of pinpointing where persons have actually been getting the target on their back swing, actually a metre or so from the actual pinpoint.
Always check the hole again after removing target. This year my mate dug a 28g nugget from a hole that had been left unfilled, someone had walked away from over a thousand bucks.
Good luck
http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/3965/4901-0063-1.1 Instruction Manual GPX-4500_screen.pdf

Peter

Earlier while researching this hobby, I've come across a video which shows a bloke getting 8 nuggets out of the same hole. Each time he checked the hole (after removing a nugget) there was another signal. This went on until he had 8 nuggets and then there was no more signals. It was very interesting to watch.

Yep always go over the same hole even once you've fond the nugget - you just never know when you may hit a patch - We wish :/ I too get confused with the different noises & when I should be ground balancing. I don't get a chance to get out very often so I think hubby gets a bit frustrated with me as I'm always asking so many questions haha. If he wants me to find more than my 1 piece of gold then he needs to let me learn I say.

Latest posts