Gold police

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhh, now I know what youre talking about!
Plain clothed, unmarked car, confiscated your Gold because you wern't carrying the correct permit, let you off with a warning "This time" one of them giggled when you handed over the gold to them......those gold police?

A horse is a horse of course of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course, that is of course unless the horse is the famous Mr Ed. :p

Some one told me that in WA, occasionally the Gold Police will come around and ask to see all your gold. You have to lay it all out for them to look at. Rumour had it they were coming to a certain towns caravan park, by morning half the caravanners had left. No one wants to display their gold for all to see. Inviting the robbers. The police can tell where your gold was found by looking at it.
C.

So are the gold police real or not?

believe it or not gold does look differant from one place to another and old prospectors can tell you where its from.. ;)

Cherokee said:
Some one told me that in WA, occasionally the Gold Police will come around and ask to see all your gold. You have to lay it all out for them to look at. Rumour had it they were coming to a certain towns caravan park, by morning half the caravanners had left. No one wants to display their gold for all to see. Inviting the robbers. The police can tell where your gold was found by looking at it.
C.
So are the gold police real or not?

Yes, they are real. Their services are paid for by the WA mining industry. See the links in my post above.

As with any one official they should have all the right identification and uniforms etc... If not I would not be showing anything until they could show me who they were.
They are actual police is my understanding, so proper identification should be easily provided.

They used to fly into our mine all the time checking on-site gold security, and investigating possible theft. They wear ID when onsite, just as everyone else has to.

They are real in WA, knew a guy, dog and no mate that's for sure, got caught doing the wrong thing on a claim and lost his gold his detector. 50 ozs worth. Few years ago now, maybe 10 or 12, and I thought it was poetic justice :D

Far out... I should know better.... I hit the 'post reply' button after writing an epic novel...

The crux was....

They rocked up here a few months ago, stock squad, mines dept and cib etc...
Charged a few with minor offences, dogs on site, firearms etc, but all good generally.
Thing is.... with the changes in the dept., everyone is trying to justify their job!
The days of cowboys running around doing as they wish is gone!

I heard that two old blokes got their 5000's confiscated and told to pick them up from Mareeba Mines dept office!